1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 18:53
    What do you do when your karma runs over your dogma? 😞

Terrible joke out of the way, what is the biggest religious quandary you had to overcome in securing your faith? (assuming you have one). Was it accepting the existence of evil in the world, or perhaps a lifestyle change you had to make?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 19:431 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Terrible joke out of the way, what is the biggest religious quandary you had to overcome in securing your faith? (assuming you have one). Was it accepting the existence of evil in the world, or perhaps a lifestyle change you had to make?
    When one makes such a complete metamorphosis as I did one needs to confront ones friends and family with the fact that one has accepted a completely different set of values and lifestyle. Going from a happy go lucky dopehead to a clean cut suit was not easy. I was also in student accommodation at the time. My immediate neighbor was a guy from Ludlow, he was studying English literature and had been in the paratroopers at one point, he was really quite well off, his father owned property there, a hotel and stuff, but he was actually impressed and stated that he admired what i had done. When he went away he gave me all his books, some of which I still have. A particular favorite is a book on Seurat. Much more difficult to deal with was ones childhood friends and acquaintances from my little insignificant town and ones parents initially did not take to the idea very well but now they really like it because they have saw some quite positive changes.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 19:54

As a matter of fact, I think that joke's rather good.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 19:55

This is an excellent question from my perspective, and one which drives much of my posting in this particular forum. I don't believe in "karma" as an individual philosophy, but I do believe in consequences and redemption, in all of its forms.

If your religion does not bring out the best in you, and your best being how you relate to your detractors, them your karma is being suppressed by your religion.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 19:56
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    As a matter of fact, I think that joke's rather good.
    Me too.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 20:14
    Originally posted by divegeester
    This is an excellent question from my perspective, and one which drives much of my posting in this particular forum. I don't believe in "karma" as an individual philosophy, but I do believe in consequences and redemption, in all of its forms.

If your religion does not bring out the best in you, and your best being how you relate to your detractors, them your karma is being suppressed by your religion.
    Leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that you seem to have a mistaken idea of what karma is, since karma, per se, cannot suppress a person's religion, would you say that your reaction to your dictators brings out the best in you?

So, in threads like the Memo thread in the General Forum, do you see you as displaying your best?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 20:15

That I have to take Jesus' righteousness over my own.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 20:35
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That I have to take Jesus' righteousness over my own.
    Can you elaborate a little?

*Thanks everyone for the interesting replies to the OP.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 21:002 edits
    Originally posted by Startreader
    Leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that you seem to have a mistaken idea of what karma is, since karma, per se, cannot suppress a person's religion, would you say that your reaction to your dictators brings out the best in you?

So, in threads like the Memo thread in the General Forum, do you see you as displaying your best?
    No, let's not "leave aside for a moment" your claim that "I have a mistaken idea of what karma is" and why it "cannot suppress a person's religion". Why don't you explain what you mean by karma, and why it cannot suppress a person religion? We can move forward from there.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No, let's not "leave aside for a moment" your claim that "I have a mistaken idea of what karma is" and why it "cannot suppress a person's religion". Why don't you explain what you mean by karma, and why it cannot suppress a person religion? We can move forward from there.
    You don't really know what karma is, do you? It's originally a Hindu concept.

Look it up. I've been patiently teaching you English grammar in the General forum, and I think you can make some effort to improve your general knowledge on your own.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 21:44

Look it up. I've been patiently teaching you English grammar in the General forum, and I think you can make some effort to improve your general knowledge on your own.
    This is not the general forum.

If you have something to say then you need to back it up with a little more than "look it up".
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 21:50

Are you familiar with the word "Dick"?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 21:54

As close as I can come to a religious quandary is deciding whether to be a god-parent
    for my nephew in Church. I reluctantly agreed with the promise (from my brother) that I
    would not have to perjure myself nor disrespect the church. Unfortunately I feel I did both.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 01:42
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Are you familiar with the word "Dick"?
    This is fairly offensive, and rather concerning given the context.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    As close as I can come to a religious quandary is deciding whether to be a god-parent
    for my nephew in Church. I reluctantly agreed with the promise (from my brother) that I
    would not have to perjure myself nor disrespect the church. Unfortunately I feel I did both.
    I take it that you understand the duties of a god-parent?

Then I must ask, why do you even go to church, or agree to be a god-parent, when you feel that an honest application of your advice to the child ends up "disrespecting" the church?

Edit: I'm sorry if it appears that I am prying. If you don't want to answer, I'll understand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree