1. RSA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    On Saturday.

At least they come around here on Saturdays.

I always assumed it was because they were all at Kingdom Hall on Sunday.

Maybe it's actually because they worship on Saturday and come around after so they don't have to get dressed up two days in a row, I dunno. They seem to have other things which are common with the SDA, so why not, I'm just not sure.
    Oh really? Sorry, I was 4 years old. I don't remember things from then as well as I used to.
  2. RSA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:26
    Funny there is a kingdom hall about 5 minutes drive from my house, but they never come here.
  3. RSA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Its still is a kind of a primitive environment and very laid back.
    My mom still says she thought she had died and gone to heaven when we lived there...
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:42
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    My mom still says she thought she had died and gone to heaven when we lived there...
    It used to be a true tropical paradise, but now spoiled by tourism, unfortunately.
  5. RSA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:47
    It used to be a true tropical paradise, but now spoiled by tourism, unfortunately.
    I was last there in 2003. My sister's dream is to get married there, that way she could ditch all the family members who she doesn't really want there because of the air fare. Also it's just really beautiful.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 20:56
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    I was last there in 2003. My sister's dream is to get married there, that way she could ditch all the family members who she doesn't really want there because of the air fare. Also it's just really beautiful.
    😀 Good one. When she is ready let me know. Would be glad assist with some of the arrangements. I have a lot of contacts here.
  7. RSA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 21:07
    😀 Good one. When she is ready let me know. Would be glad assist with some of the arrangements. I have a lot of contacts here.
    Will do!😀
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 18:391 edit
    The British Government says it is “alarmed” by Russia’s ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses and has launched an appeal for Vladimir Putin to uphold religious freedom.

Baroness Anelay said a ruling by the Russian Supreme Court “effectively criminalises the peaceful worship of 175,000 Russian citizens" and contravenes rights enshrined in the country’s own constitution.

“I am alarmed by the decision of Russia’s Supreme Court to recognise the Jehovah’s Witnesses as ‘extremists’,” the Foreign Office minister added. “The UK calls on the Russian government to uphold its international commitment to freedom of religion.”

The Jehovah’s Witnesses plan to appeal Thursday’s ruling, which came after six days of hearings attended by hundreds of supporters.

“We are greatly disappointed by this development and deeply concerned about how this will affect our religious activity,” said spokesman Yaroslav Sivulskiy. “We hope that our legal rights and protections as a peaceful religious group will be fully restored as soon as possible.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-jehovahs-witnesses-ban-supreme-court-vladimir-putin-british-government-alarmed-criticism-a7696621.html
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 21:42
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050zhpv
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 21:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The British Government says it is “alarmed” by Russia’s ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses and has launched an appeal for Vladimir Putin to uphold religious freedom.

Baroness Anelay said a ruling by the Russian Supreme Court “effectively criminalises the peaceful worship of 175,000 Russian citizens" and contravenes rights enshrined in the country’s own co ...[text shortened]... hs-witnesses-ban-supreme-court-vladimir-putin-british-government-alarmed-criticism-a7696621.html
    All the best with the campaign.

Also hope the WT org reviews some of its extreme teachings.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 00:05
    Originally posted by galveston75
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050zhpv
    The treatment of the JWs in Russia is a human rights issue that requires a political response.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 09:283 edits
    Correct me if I am wrong but surely one responds to human right abuses through the courts? Is that not what the European court of human rights is for. Call me crazy but thats what I would say its for, weird eh.

Just how heinous is this ruling?

If the ruling enters into force, people who continue to be involved with Jehovah’s Witnesses organization or their activities in Russia could face criminal prosecution and punishment ranging from fines of 300,000 to 600,000 rubles (US$5,343 to $10,687) to a maximum of six to 10 years in prison. People found to be leading such activity would face a maximum 10 years. The organization’s property will be confiscated. Jehovah’s Witnesses will not be able to congregate for worship at their church or anywhere else.

According to the Justice Ministry, since 2007, local courts have banned at least eight local Jehovah’s Witnesses organizations, and 95 pieces of Jehovah’s Witnesses’ literature have been banned and placed on the federal registry of banned extremist materials. In most cases the ban was triggered by claims in the literature of the superiority over other religions of the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ interpretation of the Bible.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/04/20/russia-court-bans-jehovahs-witnesses

So we claim superior interpretation of the Bible and we get treated as extremists. Crazy times.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 09:43
    Correct me if I am wrong but surely one responds to human right abuses through the courts? Is that not what the European court of human rights is for. Call me crazy but thats what I would say its for, weird eh.
    The establishing and enforcement of human rights and the existence of institutions like he European Court of Human Rights are the result of political processes and they exist in the political dimension. The treatment of the JWs by the Putin regime is an upshot of the political reality in Russia.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 09:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    The establishing and enforcement of human rights and the existence of institutions like he European Court of Human Rights are the result of political processes and they exist in the political dimension. The treatment of the JWs by the Putin regime is an upshot of the political reality in Russia.
    If you say so it must be true.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 09:54
    If you say so it must be true.
    And you'd come back with something better if you had any good reason to dispute what I have put to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree