1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 17:56
    😲

As a child, my parents lied to me about the existence of Santa Claus. As an adult, I understand the reasons they did so. Believing in Santa made Christmas magical, it enhanced my life and made me happy. The benefits of the deception outweighed the negative connotations of lying to their child. My parents understood that.

I can't help but make a comparison here to religion. God (for those who believe in him) makes life magical, gives a sense of purpose and contentment. I don't view his non existence as necessarily a problem, if the positives outweigh the negatives.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 18:582 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    😲

As a child, my parents lied to me about the existence of Santa Claus. As an adult, I understand the reasons they did so. Believing in Santa made Christmas magical, it enhanced my life and made me happy. The benefits of the deception outweighed the negative connotations of lying to their child. My parents understood that.

I can't help but mak ...[text shortened]... don't view his non existence as necessarily a problem, if the positives outweigh the negatives.
    As a child? you are still a man child and long may you remain so! there are others who have contended that belief in a deity is immoral, googlefudge springs to mind.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 03:49
    Jesus once said that no man can come to God except as a child.

I'm reminded of the Charlie Brown cartoons. When adults talk, all you hear is was,was,was,was,was, but the children you hear perfectly clear because they are the only ones still living with such things as wonder and hope.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 07:45
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    😲

I can't help but mak ...[text shortened]... don't view his non existence as necessarily a problem, if the positives outweigh the negatives.
    I am not sure I ever believed in Santa nor am I sure that the positives outweigh the negatives in religion. Clearly for suicide bombers I would say the negatives win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree