1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:209 edits
    In view of the tragic recent events in Japan and Ecuador are any of the doubters still insistent that we have not seen a marked increase in the frequency and magnitude of seismic activity as prophesied by the Christ in the book of Matthew, chapter 24.

DATES PERIOD NO. EARTHQUAKES (Mag. > 6.99)
    --------------------------- ----------- ------------------------------
    1863 to 1900 38 yrs 12
    1901 to 1938 38 yrs 53
    1939 to 1976 38 yrs 71
    1977 to 2014 38 yrs 164 (to Mar. 2011)

Speaking of the signs that will happen, leading to his return to judge the peoples of earth (at the end of the age), Jesus is quoted as saying ‘in various places there will be famines and earthquakes - these things are the beginning of birth pangs’ (ref: Matthew 24). Now, because birth pains begin small and then increase in intensity and frequency, this passage can be interpreted to mean that earthquakes (and famines - caused primarily through lack of rainfall in certain areas) will increase both in frequency and impact/strength prior to Jesus’ second coming. Although Jesus is clear that no one will know the day or the hour, and his return will indeed happen “when you do not expect”, he does give us broad pointers, one of these being natural events – like earthquakes.

http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [b]In view of the tragic recent events in Japan and Ecuador are any of the doubters still insistent that we have not seen a marked increase in the frequency and magnitude of seismic activity as prophesied by the Christ in the book of Matthew, chapter 24./b]
    Yes. I happen to know quite a lot about earthquake activity and I can assure you that I am still insistent that we have not seen a marked increase in the frequency and magnitude of seismic activity.
    I can direct you to detailed statistics if you like.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:351 edit
    But I thought the first will be last and the last will be first. 😛

Seriously though, just look at the two Presidential candidates leading in the polls right now, Hillary and Trump.

The end is near!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😲
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes. I happen to know quite a lot about earthquake activity and I can assure you that I am still insistent that we have not seen a marked increase in the frequency and magnitude of seismic activity.
    I have already provided a point of reference you may make reference to that.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:46
    There is probably an increase in Earthquakes hitting heavily populated areas over the last century,
    as the number of heavily populated areas increases this is pretty inevitable.

But as you say, nobody in the relevant field is concerned about any great increase in earthquake
    frequency... mainly because there isn't one.

I still find it hard to believe the lengths to which people go to try to paint the enormous progress made
    over the last [say] century in almost every metric you care to name in making life better for the majority
    of human kind.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:51
    Your point of reference claims to have got its data from the USGS, the worlds foremost authority on Earthquakes.
    Here is what they have to say:
    http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9830/3355

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 range and one earthquake magnitude 8.0 or greater. In the past 38 years, from 1973 through 2011, our records show that we have exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes only 8 times, in 1976, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

The year with the largest total was 2010, with 24 earthquakes greater than or equal to magnitude 7.0. In other years the total was well below the 16 per year expected based on the long-term average: 1989 only saw 6, while 1988 saw only 7 major earthquakes.

In summary, the USGS says there is nothing unusual.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:51
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    There is probably an increase in Earthquakes hitting heavily populated areas over the last century,
    as the number of heavily populated areas increases this is pretty inevitable.

But as you say, nobody in the relevant field is concerned about any great increase in earthquake
    frequency... mainly because there isn't one.

I still find it hard to ...[text shortened]... in almost every metric you care to name in making life better for the majority
    of human kind.
    The reference that I provided states that there is a marked increase in earthquakes over a magnitude of 6.99, are you disputing this and if so on what basis.

The subject is not your personal opinion of what length lengths people will allegedly go to try to 'paint' anything. One only needs to mention deforestation, depletion in fishing stocks, unprecedented environmental pollution to make a mockery of your biased and prejudiced perspective, please stick to the subject at hand or propagandise in another thread.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:52
    In view of the tragic recent events in Japan and Ecuador are any of the doubters still insistent that we have not seen a marked increase in the frequency and magnitude of seismic activity as prophesied by the Christ in the book of Matthew, chapter 24.

DATES PERIOD NO. EARTHQUAKES (Mag. > 6.99)
    ---------- ...[text shortened]... pointers, one of these being natural events – like earthquakes.

Fortunately the bible is just a collection of stories written by men long dead with no knowledge of things to come. (Stare at a bus timetable long enough and you'll start seeing Armageddon prophecies).

Earthquakes were around thousands (millions) of years ago and will continue to be around in thousands (millions) of years to come. Why is this? Because the world isn't perfect. It wasn't created perfect. It has never been perfect, There is no God.

But there is hope. For the force has awoken.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:52
    Your point of reference claims to have got its data from the USGS, the worlds foremost authority on Earthquakes.
    Here is what they have to say:
    http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9830/3355

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 ...[text shortened]... 988 saw only 7 major earthquakes.

In summary, the USGS says there is nothing unusual.
    I have already provided a reference, if you are unable or unwilling to make reference to it then this is not the thread for you.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Fortunately the bible is just a collection of stories written by men long dead with no knowledge of things to come. (Stare at a bus timetable long enough and you'll start seeing Armageddon prophecies).

Earthquakes were around thousands (millions) of years ago and will continue to be around in thousands (millions) of years to come. Why is this? Be ...[text shortened]... ect. It has never been perfect, There is no God.

But there is hope. For the force has awoken.
    blah blah blah, more atheist propaganda... blah de blah de blah. . . .

No one has claimed that they have not been around for thousands of years, the claim was that there is a very recent trend in their magnitude and frequency. Please pay attention or i will be forced to give you homework!

read the reference Ghost of a boofhead and make a comment on it.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:54
    http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2015/03/19/G36444.1.abstract

Here is one piece about increased earthquake activity in the Jurrasic, so it has happened before and there were no people around so it is very safe to say these events would happen for the most part whether humans were around or not.

Fracking can induce earthquakes and such but not of the intensity of the 8 and 9 level earthquakes we have seen recently in Japan and Ecuador.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:561 edit
    for those having difficulty, here is the reference that I provided which documents the magnitude and frequency of earthquakes since records began in about the 1800's

13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 21:01
    I have already provided a reference, if you are unable or unwilling to make reference to it then this is not the thread for you.
    And I have proved that your reference is a fundamentalist Christian talking nonsense. I have also upped your reference with a better reference based on actual science.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 21:05
    for those having difficulty, here is the reference that I provided which documents the magnitude and frequency of earthquakes since records began in about the 1800's

Except it doesn't 'document' an increase, it claims an increase based on data from a second source:
    http://www.dlindquist.com/research/quake/
    which has a notice saying its data is unavailable but that it came from the USGS which I referenced directly.

That you seem extremely insistent on refusing to look at the USGS data is telling. You couldn't care less whether or not earthquakes have actually increased or whether your source is right. You only care about promoting your doomsday religion.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 21:27
    And I have proved that your reference is a fundamentalist Christian talking nonsense. I have also upped your reference with a better reference based on actual science.
    this does nothing to address the actual content and so far you have been unable to address the actual content.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree