1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 14:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Money given to help the poor does not necessarily mean they are giving money directly to the poor.
    Exactly. So will you answer my questions or not?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 14:10
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I have on occasion asked such individuals if I can get them anything from the bakery. (A sandwich or such). Although I agree with you to some extent that it is their responsibility how they spend the money (if you elect to give it to them) but by buying something for them I retain control of what that money is used for. (Perhaps this is for my own peace of mind that i am not helping to fuel a drug habit or the like).
    I never give money to roadside beggars because I believe it encourages begging. However, when giving to the poor who are not beggars then an argument can be made that they usually do know what is best and allowing them to make the choice on how to spend the money may be a good idea. I have often questioned charity organisations that spend a lot of money on staff and wondered whether or not it would be better to simply give all the money to the people being helped. I think that in reality there are cases where one way is better and cases where the other is better.

I personally prefer the long term goal, so my focus would be education and health. I admittedly have not given a lot to charity, but when I did, it was towards paying a teachers salary at a school that would have closed without that teacher to the detriment of some poor children. Of course my time and money might have been better spend visiting the ministry of education and getting them to pay for the teacher. Certainly when it comes to beggars, if you really want to help and have the time, then use it persuading your local government to improve their social welfare system.

Also campaign for a universal basic income!
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 14:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I never give money to roadside beggars because I believe it encourages begging. However, when giving to the poor who are not beggars then an argument can be made that they usually do know what is best and allowing them to make the choice on how to spend the money may be a good idea. I have often questioned charity organisations that spend a lot of money o ...[text shortened]... overnment to improve their social welfare system.

Also campaign for a universal basic income!
    Yes, you are right to differentiate between 'street beggars' and the poor. (To begin with it is not always the case that beggars are poor or homeless etc). I wouldn't dream of telling someone on the poverty line how to spend what little money they do have. That's entirely their choice.

My pet hate are 'Chuggers' (Charity Muggers) who approach you repeatedly on the street with their clipboards and over friendly personalities trying to get your bank details for their particular charity. - These guys are not volunteers and their salaries are paid from the monthly donations you sign up to. (Forget the exact figure, but it's something like 18 months of monthly payments until the money goes to the people who need it). I really don't require a fee charging middleman in order to give to charity.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 15:272 edits
    Yes, you are right to differentiate between 'street beggars' and the poor. (To begin with it is not always the case that beggars are poor or homeless etc). I wouldn't dream of telling someone on the poverty line how to spend what little money they do have. That's entirely their choice.

My pet hate are 'Chuggers' (Charity Muggers) who approach you ...[text shortened]... eople who need it). I really don't require a fee charging middleman in order to give to charity.
    I thought it was illegal to solicit for funds in this way if you are a charity? Its my understanding that Jehovahs Witnesses who are registered in the UK as a charity and who subsist on voluntary donations are not allowed to solicit for funds. If someone wishes to give a donation then that is something different but we are not allowed to solicit for them. If someone asks how much the literature that we offer costs we are instructed to state that it comes at no charge. Note there is a difference between saying that its free, its not free because we pay for the paper and ink and maintenance of huge printing facilities and transport etc etc but as far as the public is concerned it comes at no cost. Not a few times I have been talking to Muslims at their homes and they think that I have come for a donation, 'chunda', in Urdu because the Molvis (religious leaders) send out people to gather payments for their Islamic schools etc.

saying that the key fobs on my truck have failed (one never recovered after i took a mad turn and decided to run into the sea at Girvan once with it in my back pocket) and if anyone wants to donate 280 sterling for me to have them/fixed replaced that would be most charitable!
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 16:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I thought it was illegal to solicit for funds in this way if you are a charity? Its my understanding that Jehovahs Witnesses who are registered in the UK as a charity and who subsist on voluntary donations are not allowed to solicit for funds. If someone wishes to give a donation then that is something different but we are not allowed to solicit fo ...[text shortened]... e wants to donate 280 sterling for me to have them/fixed replaced that would be most charitable!
    Not illegal old chap. I am accosted on an almost daily basis by these Charity workers (often numerous times in succession as they tend to operate in packs, spaced out slightly down the road). I think there might be some legal restrictions however on where they can stand.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 19:512 edits
    Not illegal old chap. I am accosted on an almost daily basis by these Charity workers (often numerous times in succession as they tend to operate in packs, spaced out slightly down the road). I think there might be some legal restrictions however on where they can stand.
    really? hmmm, i will need to research this. One does not mind someone standing with a coin bucket in the supermarket, they are not soliciting, they are kind of just passively there and if you wish to donate you can and if you don't then you don't but people who wait to pounce on you and obtain your banking details that's different. I was reading that some of the companies used to procure donations were awarding themselves many of millions of pounds and this poisons the well for legitimate charities. I dunno what the solution is to be honest. I never used to give the Harikrishnas who were asking for donations money but on not a few occasions I bought them some groceries.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Sep '16 20:331 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    really? hmmm, i will need to research this. One does not mind someone standing with a coin bucket in the supermarket, they are not soliciting, they are kind of just passively there and if you wish to donate you can and if you don't then you don't but people who wait to pounce on you and obtain your banking details that's different. I was reading th ...[text shortened]... nas who were asking for donations money but on not a few occasions I bought them some groceries.
    If you were down on your luck old chap I'd gladly give you an aubergine or two.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 02:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I can't count how many [homeless people] I've had to drag into my car and take them to the hospital. I've had to give some CPR. Some make it, some don't.
    You've had homeless people die while you were giving them CPR on the street or in your car?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 02:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    You've had homeless people die while you were giving them CPR on the street or in your car?
    I don't suppose you'd like to rephrase the question so it makes more sense, given what I've already said?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 02:23
    I don't suppose you'd like to rephrase the question so it makes more sense, given what I've already said?
    Are you claiming you've somehow lost count of how many homeless people have died while you were in the act of trying to save their lives?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 02:24
    But I treat them all with respect. And when I do give someone money to buy food, I don't treat them like a child who can't be trusted with the money.
    So, do you think you have ever given any money to alcoholic homeless people who then used it to buy booze instead of eating a square meal?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 11:331 edit
    If you were down on your luck old chap I'd gladly give you an aubergine or two.
    hmmm I am not a big fan of aubergines to be honest, Mrs Robbie likes them though and she's the real BOSS! Gulp (here she comes! make like a mouse)
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 12:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you claiming you've somehow lost count of how many homeless people have died while you were in the act of trying to save their lives?
    For the LAST time, stop misrepresenting what I've said in this thread.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 13:07
    For the LAST time, stop misrepresenting what I've said in this thread.
    I don't think he is misrepresenting what you have said. He may be misunderstanding which you could resolve by clarifying.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '16 17:11
    I can't count how many I've had to drag into my car and take them to the hospital. I've had to give some CPR. Some make it, some don't.
    What a packed life you have.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree