1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 12:25
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    MIcah's prophecy does not refer to a king of 'divine origin', it refers to a man of a particular family whose origin is Bethlehem who will 'come unto' god and become a leader of Israel (same family as David, surprise surprise). It's a very uncomfortable fit as a prophecy of the birth of Jesus. I am surprised that you are not already aware of this.
    Now you did say, I think, to continue the discussion was pointless.
    I respect that you feel it is futile for you to hear or speak with me further.
    We could just leave it there.

if you have re-consideration for the benefit of asking me what I think, I would say my phrase "divine" should be appropriate to anyone who has eternal pre-existence.

Who but God fits that description?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Apr '17 13:152 edits
    Some other English versions of Micah 5:2

New International Version
    "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times."

NET Bible
    As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah--from you a king will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origins are in the distant past.

New Living Translation
    But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, are only a small village among all the people of Judah. Yet a ruler of Israel will come from you, one whose origins are from the distant past.

This rendering might give us the ground to assume Micah simply meant someone very old. I prefer more the following as representative of the sense of the prophecy.

New American Standard Bible
    "But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah, From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity."

King James Bible
    But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    Bethlehem Ephrathah, you are small among the clans of Judah; One will come from you to be ruler over Israel for Me. His origin is from antiquity, from eternity.

International Standard Version
    "As for you, Bethlehem of Ephrathah, even though you remain least among the clans of Judah, nevertheless, the one who rules in Israel for me will emerge from you. His existence has been from antiquity, even from eternity.

New Heart English Bible
    But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, being small among the clans of Judah, out of you one will come forth to me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.

English Revised Version
    But thou, Beth-lehem Ephrathah, which art little to be among the thousands of Judah, out of thee shall one come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.

Webster's Bible Translation
    But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou art little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth to me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

World English Bible
    But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, being small among the clans of Judah, out of you one will come forth to me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree