1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 10:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would say that, if the beliefs of religionists in the supernatural and immortality afford them some consolation as they approach their own deaths, and if that's what they need in order to "embrace" it, then that's alright. I know plenty of people who do.
    What in your view are "religionists"?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 10:03
    Originally posted by roigam
    Since mankind was made to live, and death is the result of a mistake, death is not natural and we should not "embrace" it.
    As death is the course we have been put on, we must accept it, but, due to the loving kindness of our Creator in providing a way out by a resurrection back to life, we can accept death with the hope of life in the future.
    "... death is the result a result of" what "mistake"?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 10:05
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    There is either only one, or an infinite number of 'ultimate' realities each of us faces.
    Depending on ones point of view.

There are not two.
    Au contraire: 1) Our physical death; and 2) the stark reality that each of us will reside at one of two addresses for eternity.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 May '16 11:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    What in your view are "religionists"?
    People like you. Or my local Catholic priest. Or the imam at the mosque behind my house. People who have an elaborate, literature-based theological ideology ~ such as Christianity ~ that features supernatural figures and life after death and stuff like "sin".
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '16 12:08
    Au contraire: 1) Our physical death; and 2) the stark reality that each of us will reside at one of two addresses for eternity.
    Well your 'reality' number two is not true, and those are not the only two 'realities' that
    we face.

Which brings me back to saying that no, we either face an infinite number of 'realities'...
    If we use the meaning you appear to be using for the term... Or just one.

There are not just two... And even if their were, they would not be your two, as the second is
    certainly false, and the first might possibly be false.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 14:14
    Well your 'reality' number two is not true, and those are not the only two 'realities' that
    we face.

Which brings me back to saying that no, we either face an infinite number of 'realities'...
    If we use the meaning you appear to be using for the term... Or just one.

There are not just two... And even if their were, they would not be your two, as the second is
    certainly false, and the first might possibly be false.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”
    ―Philip K. Dick, "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon"
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '16 15:38
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”
    ―Philip K. Dick, "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon"
    Which is true about my beliefs and not true about yours.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:29
    Which is true about my beliefs and not true about yours.
    It was also true about mine until I became a serious student of the Word of God taught by my own pastor/teacher.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:58
    It was also true about mine until I became a serious student of the Word of God taught by my own pastor/teacher.
    So you admit yourself that your beliefs are not about reality.

So why do you still hold them?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:30
    "If we have the possibility of knowing the truth, why would we choose to be deceived?" ~Isiah Berlin
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:47
    "If we have the possibility of knowing the truth, why would we choose to be deceived?" ~Isiah Berlin
    Well given that you belong to the side that believes in choosing to be deceived, it's
    really up to you to answer that question.

I think choosing to be deceived is a dumb idea which is why I don't make such a choice.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:55
    Fear of the truth is the usual reason. But as with most fears, when you face up to it, its not as bad as it first seems.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:58
    Well given that you belong to the side that believes in choosing to be deceived, it's
    really up to you to answer that question.

I think choosing to be deceived is a dumb idea which is why I don't make such a choice.
    "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting." Galations 6:7-8
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Fear of the truth is the usual reason. But as with most fears, when you face up to it, its not as bad as it first seems.
    Well said.
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 21:241 edit
    "... death is the result a result of" what "mistake"?
    (Romans 5:12) That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—.

Before Adam sinned (made a mistake) by eating of the fruit of the tree of good and bad,
    there was no option of death. His mistaken action brought death as a result.

Happily, humankind will not die in the future. God paid a fine for us to regain that nondeath condition.
    (Revelation 21:3, 4) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, .....and death will be no more....., neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

So, God gives His Word that He will end death forever!

Just as a side thought, when death is no more, how will people die and go to heaven?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree