2. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    06 Nov '16 14:06
    Originally posted by roma45
    now number one

oh happy days
    It's good to see a Scottish athlete number 1 in a sport.

Is he the first one in history?

Hold on...........I forgot about Jockey Wilson.........now there's a sportsman !!!!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '16 17:13
    Robbie Carrobie I heard he is leader of the Easy riders, greatest bunch of intellectual athletes evah.
  4. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 11:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Robbie Carrobie I heard he is leader of the Easy riders, greatest bunch of intellectual athletes evah.
    i heard hes a cheat not a rumour just a fact
  5. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    It's good to see a Scottish athlete number 1 in a sport.

Is he the first one in history?

Hold on...........I forgot about Jockey Wilson.........now there's a sportsman !!!!
    Surely the great Stephen Hendry must be mentioned. But I'm not sure Jocky was ever world number 1, even though he was twice world champion.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 21:54
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Surely the great Stephen Hendry must be mentioned. But I'm not sure Jocky was ever world number 1, even though he was twice world champion.
    Hendry was certainly World Number 1 snooker player for all of the 90s. Popularly regarded as the best player ever (though my vote would go to O'Sullivan). Also John Higgins won 4 World titlles, and had several spells as World #1 (but a tarnished individual)

Add Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark in motor racing. Both won world crowns and undoubtably ranked number 1 in the world at some point. Stewart surely best in world from late 60s to Lauda era?

Boxing? Disregarding pre 1970, Ken Buchanan and Jim Watt were World Champions

Agree about Jocky in darts, not sure ranked #1.. Gary Anderson currently #2
  7. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:47
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Alan wells the flying Scotsman, although his gold in the 100m in Moscow was devalued due to the boycott
    Stephen Henry used to live near me, seen him play lots of times, seen plenty of exhibition games jimmy White John Virgo but the best by far doing a comedy routine with trick shots was Steve Davis, really not the boring guy the media portray.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 22:562 edits
    Alan wells the flying Scotsman, although his gold in the 100m in Moscow was devalued due to the boycott
    Stephen Henry used to live near me, seen him play lots of times, seen plenty of exhibition games jimmy White John Virgo but the best by far doing a comedy routine with trick shots was Steve Davis, really not the boring guy the media portray.
    Isnt Wells a tad tarnished at the moment via doping slurs? Hopefully to be cleared, but his big wins were in the 1980 Olympics which, of course, USA boycotted. Just makes him hard to promote as ' Best In World'

Nice story about Steve Davies. I hated him with a passion in in the 80s (was a big Jimmy White/Alex Higgins fan), but have since appreciated his wit, self depracating humour and personality.

It's an English thing. We hate winners, When they stop winning, we like them!

David Wilkie, swimmer, mid 70s?
  9. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 23:22
    Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks
    Isnt Wells a tad tarnished at the moment via doping slurs? Hopefully to be cleared, but his big wins were in the 1980 Olympics which, of course, USA boycotted. Just makes him hard to promote as ' Best In World'

Nice story about Steve Davies. I hated him with a passion in in the 80s (was a big Jimmy White/Alex Higgins fan), but have since appre ...[text shortened]... thing. We hate winners, When they stop winning, we like them!

David Wilkie, swimmer, mid 70s?
    .hurricane higgins made the game exciting should have won the title more than twice
    remember tony knowles he made it popular with the girls

USA boycotted the moscow games because the USSR invaded afganistan the taliban were portryed as heroic freedom fighters, see rambo 111
    But when we and the USA invade, they are evil terrorists.

will Trump build a wall there as well?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 23:27
    .hurricane higgins made the game exciting should have won the title more than twice
    remember tony knowles he made it popular with the girls

USA boycotted the moscow games because the USSR invaded afganistan the taliban were portryed as heroic freedom fighters, see rambo 111
    But when we and the USA invade, they are evil terrorists.

will Trump build a wall there as well?
    2 is a nice number for the Hurricane. Unfulfilled talent.

His 1982 semi with Jimmy White, penultimate frame, will NEVER be bettered.

Don't think Trump will get brickies over there!
  11. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 23:38
    2 is a nice number for the Hurricane. Unfulfilled talent.

His 1982 semi with Jimmy White, penultimate frame, will NEVER be bettered.

Don't think Trump will get brickies over there!
    the final i liked the best was when Dennis Taylor beat the "unbeatable" steve davis after being 8-0 down, the pressure on the last black cant even imagine
    i played jim meadowcroft years ago, he was always a also ran, but against club players like me, different class, he banged in a 134 i never got a chance, my highest break was 46 many years ago, still managed to lose the game though.

they dont seem to play doubles anymore i remember higgins and white winning it against davis and meo. if memory is correct, have to google it

time for bed
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 23:561 edit
    nice to be civilised

Think Alex came back from 9-0 in 1983 or so (without google) to beat SD in the UK final. Happy days!

remember the World Doubles being on just before Xmas, They used to change pairings year to year, but the Alex/Jimmy pairing were , as you can imagine, magnetic viewing.

Remember Cliff Thorburn saying to White 'Give us a chance, Jim' , as he kept playing delicate little feather snooker on him

Jim Meadowcroft too...low ranked pro late 80s, later commentator
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 22:22
    Sadly, v few Scottish footballers anywhere near 'world class'

England 3 Scotland 0
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 02:13
    Hendry was certainly World Number 1 snooker player for all of the 90s. Popularly regarded as the best player ever (though my vote would go to O'Sullivan). Also John Higgins won 4 World titlles, and had several spells as World #1 (but a tarnished individual)

Add Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark in motor racing. Both won world crowns and undoubtably ...[text shortened]... e World Champions

Agree about Jocky in darts, not sure ranked #1.. Gary Anderson currently #2
    So the answer to the question was that, yes... Andy Murray is the first Scottish athlete to reach #1 in the world.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 02:41
    now number one

oh happy days
    Happy?

I haven't seen him crack a smile. EVER!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree