1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 May '17 14:41
    Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks

To take up Roma's first post, Klopp has now, I believe, an almost identical League record with Liverpool to that of Brendan Rogers, and look what happened to him!
    Moved to Celtic and formed one of the best Scottish teams in history... not so bad.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    06 May '17 16:06
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Moved to Celtic and formed one of the best Scottish teams in history... not so bad.
    You sure this Celtic team are one of the best Scottish teams in history?

They cannot qualify/get knocked out at group stage of Champions League year on year.

Celtic late 60s, Rangers a little later and Aberdeen into the 80s competed at a far higher level on the European stage
  3. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    11 May '17 17:10

They cannot qualify/get knocked out at group stage of Champions League year on year.

Celtic late 60s, Rangers a little later and Aberdeen into the 80s competed at a far higher level on the European stage
    the current celtic team are by far the best i have seen in the last 20 years,
    the main reason they can out spend any one in Scotland by a mile

but the shoe is on the other foot in Europe crazy money being spent on players and wages the champions league, really should rename it some countries get four teams if man u win europe league EPL will have 5 teams next year can't all be classed as champions none will have a realistic chance of winning it
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    11 May '17 23:24
    Originally posted by roma45
    the current celtic team are by far the best i have seen in the last 20 years,
    the main reason they can out spend any one in Scotland by a mile

but the shoe is on the other foot in Europe crazy money being spent on players and wages the champions league, really should rename it some countries get four teams if man u win europe league EPL will have 5 teams next year can't all be classed as champions none will have a realistic chance of winning it
    Wouldn't for a moment argue against them probably being the best Scottish club side in the past 20 years.

Still say that doesn't make them one of the best Scottish club sides in history!

Think you probably agree with that.

Totally agree with the points about money. In Scottish domestic football, Celtic are the big fish, WAY more money than any other. On European stage, they become bit part players.
  5. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    12 May '17 11:13
    Wouldn't for a moment argue against them probably being the best Scottish club side in the past 20 years.

Still say that doesn't make them one of the best Scottish club sides in history!

Think you probably agree with that.

Totally agree with the points about money. In Scottish domestic football, Celtic are the big fish, WAY more money than any other. On European stage, they become bit part players.
    its hard to compare teams of the past to current sides, same with players the old pele maradonna versus messi and ronaldo arguement, maybe you think another player from history was better, you would not be wrong in your opinion as its impossible to measure

i personally think Ronaldo is the best ever plenty will agree but many will not

who do you think is/was the best ever?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    12 May '17 15:32
    Best player in my lifetime? Maradonna. The way he won the 1986 WC almost single handed is something that Ronaldo, Messi and several others still need to add to their CV!

Too young to make a judgement on Pele. Sadly, George Best played for such a weak international team that he often gets left out of these arguments, but would put him as #2 in my time.
  7. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 May '17 08:02
    Best player in my lifetime? Maradonna. The way he won the 1986 WC almost single handed is something that Ronaldo, Messi and several others still need to add to their CV!

Too young to make a judgement on Pele. Sadly, George Best played for such a weak international team that he often gets left out of these arguments, but would put him as #2 in my time.
    cant argue with that, but most people south of the border hate Maradonna after the hand of god goal against England in the 86 world cup.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 01:07

Yes but we can't compare todays game to 50 years ago. Sure Scottish teams had some European success but do you think with how much more professional the game is and fitter the players are now that this team wouldn't be able to compete with the great teams of the past?

Actually the best team ever was possibly the Celtic team which reached the UEFA cup final against Porto, narrowly losing a year before Porto won the champions league.

Qualify for the champions league? There's the reason why the competition is elitist and flawed.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    15 May '17 11:131 edit
    Originally posted by roma45
    cant argue with that, but most people south of the border hate Maradonna after the hand of god goal against England in the 86 world cup.
    true, but the true football fans also have to hold our hand up to the sublime 'dribble' goal that he scored in that game.

his effect on the Aregentina team, culminating in being by far the best player in the 86 WC which they won, his effect on club football in Italy make him the best I have seen live.

Both Maldini and Baresi, 2 great Italian defenders, unequivocably cite Maradonna as their toughest opponent

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree