1. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 02:27
    Great card from top to bottom. I am surprised to see Woodley beat Robbie though. Woodley lost to Rory and it was not even close. Robbie did not look right before he entered the cage. Another problem now is you have to question his chin. Remember Liddell when he got knocked out by Jackson?

It was actually the fight with Evans that ended his career for good. It was the most brutal knockout by hand I have ever seen. Liddell was never the same. But it was the accumulation of shots over time due to his fighting style that ended his chin. So it does not look great for Robbie. He will still fight and make money for a while. But the title is a real long shot now.

Woodley called out Nick Diaz, but then in a brilliant move, he asked for GSP!! Styles make fights. Woodley does not have enough to hold the title for to long. But if he fights GSP first? He will be put at the bottom of the list. He should take the Diaz fight and get a huge purse for that. Then move on.

If Rory gets a shot he will win again. Stephens will also get a shot at him, and I don't see Woodley beating that kid. I think this belt is about to be passed around for a while.

If I did this correctly, this is a link to a radio interview with the new champ, as he talks about the near future and his possible next opponent.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/champ-tyron-woodley-shifts-focus-from-nick-diaz-to-georges-st-pierre-preferably-at-ufc-205
  2. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '16 07:44
    Originally posted by VESPIN
    Great card from top to bottom. I am surprised to see Woodley beat Robbie though. Woodley lost to Rory and it was not even close. Robbie did not look right before he entered the cage. Another problem now is you have to question his chin. Remember Liddell when he got knocked out by Jackson?

It was actually the fight with Evans that ended his career for goo ...[text shortened]... 16/08/champ-tyron-woodley-shifts-focus-from-nick-diaz-to-georges-st-pierre-preferably-at-ufc-205
    I don't know if Lawler was tentative because he's had problems with Woodley before in workouts or if he was trying to conserve his energy knowing that the muscle-bound Woodley had a history of tiring in the later rounds. Woodley might have trouble with Nick Diaz because of Diaz's size. Diaz also has tremendous cardio and runs marathons. Woodley's chin is questionable as he was knocked out by an aging Nate Marquardt. The one Woodley definitely has to avoid is Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.
  3. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    05 Aug '16 23:52
    Originally posted by blunderdog
    I don't know if Lawler was tentative because he's had problems with Woodley before in workouts or if he was trying to conserve his energy knowing that the muscle-bound Woodley had a history of tiring in the later rounds. Woodley might have trouble with Nick Diaz because of Diaz's size. Diaz also has tremendous cardio and runs marathons. Woodley's chin i ...[text shortened]... aging Nate Marquardt. The one Woodley definitely has to avoid is Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.
    This is certainly a different fighter now in Woodley. Robbie although all your points were really good, I think Robbie was not conserving energy. He comes out swinging from bell to bell. I think he knew Woodley could take him down, and Woodley attempted a few level changes and on the second level change, he faked and came up with the over hand right. And that punch would have put anyone away in that division.

But I am still not sold on Woodley. I don't think his chin is suspect just yet. If he gets hit again, and goes out cold? Then absolutely I will think that as well. As for Diaz, although I think Diaz is a better all around fighter, in all aspects of the sport, he is not strong enough to stop the take downs especially against the highest rated wrestlers. Woodley will just keep taking him down every round and unless Woodley does something stupid? Woodley I think would win based on that. Diaz would have to stuff those take downs and his jits would have to really aggressive.

I wish Diaz, both of them, would have worked harder over the last decade on their wrestling a bit. But their Jits should be enough to stop any wrestler if they are strong enough to hold them when grappling.

I never heard in any of the interviews that Robbie had trouble in practices with him, except with wrestling. But nothing that would give him pause in any way.

But that does not mean it is not true just because I did not hear it. I think Woodley is a bit to cocky already, calling out GSP????? GSP would kill him. And Wonderboy Stephens if he is able to hold him off and stuff the takedowns? Woodley will never get near him to hit him. And I think Woodley would get knocked out cold. But if Woodley gets him down? Woodley wins. Who ever imposes their will early, and more often will win that fight. But Woodley is doing mostly talking about "getting his pay day." Not a way a champion talks on national tv wearing the belt. Plus he said he did not care what the fans thought.

I don't think he will have the belt long and I really hope if he fights Diaz? I hope and would love Diaz to win it. I was happy for Bisping when he won. Nobody deserves it more then Bisping. He fights Henderson again next it looks like.

If GSP comes back for UFC 205, think about how big that even will be? It will have to be an outdoor stadium to hold such an event. And I agree with you that Woodley should avoid Wonderboy. In fact he already said on live tv, on Fox Sports 1 to DC and Florian that he will not fight Stephens. I think he knows he would be in trouble.

What do you think of Jones destroying his career? And who do you pick for Connor vs Diaz?? Great post on your part. It's great to see someone who knows the sport as well as you do. 🙂
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '16 14:09
    I don't know if Lawler was tentative because he's had problems with Woodley before in workouts or if he was trying to conserve his energy knowing that the muscle-bound Woodley had a history of tiring in the later rounds. Woodley might have trouble with Nick Diaz because of Diaz's size. Diaz also has tremendous cardio and runs marathons. Woodley's chin i ...[text shortened]... aging Nate Marquardt. The one Woodley definitely has to avoid is Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.
    If Woodley is muscle bound and tires easily, can that be trained out? Or is being muscle bound forever a hinderance to endurance?
  5. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 06:462 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If Woodley is muscle bound and tires easily, can that be trained out? Or is being muscle bound forever a hinderance to endurance?
    Good question. In some cases yes. But that would mean the person would have to stick to pure wrestling and just practicing the art forms. No weights at all. Then the question becomes does his lack of weight training hurt him when faced with guys stronger? In Woodley's case he has been doing weights his whole life, plus wrestling, as he is a two time Division 1 National Champion. That alone will give him what they refer to as functional strength.

To answer your question, I believe it is impossible at this point in his career to lose that kind of bulk without destroying his ability to fight. Plus I cant imagine what he would look like without the weights? Someone like Woodley will have to always work fast, and most of all fight smart. He is going to tire earlier then most due to his bulk. The body uses up so much oxygen when your that big. Plus you figure he is really 20 pounds heavier then what he weighs in at. To move that weight around as fast as the 170lb class is not in his favor.

Look for him to fight Wonderboy Thompson or George St. Pierre (GSP) in his next fight. And I don't believe Woodley can beat either one of them. You can then at some point see Woodley go up to middleweight.

But I don't see anyone with that kind of muscle to trim it down and still be the same fighter. "Forever a hinderance to endurance." Anything is possible but it would be like winning the lottery twice. Are you a MMA FAN?
  6. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 18:59
    Generally speaking, people with muscles tire more easily because they have less fat to burn.
  7. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 06:38
    Generally speaking, people with muscles tire more easily because they have less fat to burn.
    Its the oxygen. All that muscle requires far more red blood cells, and unless they are doping, the body can not produce enough red blood cells fast enough to all that muscle. Your red blood cells are your oxygen cells. And that kind of muscle like Woodley has, requires two or three times the amount of RBC's in order not to gas out. This is why the men who have mostly muscle have to start slower and pace themselves.

Example would be Lance Armstrong. Lance and his teams were using a synthetic type of Red Blood Cell replacement called EPO. When testing caught up with them, they switched to blood doping. Train at high altitudes, then draw the blood out, then four hours before you hit the mountains, you place your own blood which is now enriched in red blood cells, back into your body and this allows you a HUGE advantage over everyone else. It provides you with so much more Oxygen, you never have to worry about getting so tired you have to quit.

More muscles equals the need for more Red Blood Cells. And those who are doing it clean? They are at a disadvantage. I am average height and size. I can last longer then the men with jacked up muscles. Unless they are professionals. But all things being equal? Your better off with less muscle, and far more technique.
  8. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 06:45
    Its the oxygen. All that muscle requires far more red blood cells, and unless they are doping, the body can not produce enough red blood cells fast enough to all that muscle. Your red blood cells are your oxygen cells. And that kind of muscle like Woodley has, requires two or three times the amount of RBC's in order not to gas out. This is why the men who have mostly muscle have to start slower and pace themselves.

Example would be Lance Armstrong. Lance and his teams were using a synthetic type of Red Blood Cell replacement called EPO. When testing caught up with them, they switched to blood doping. Train at high altitudes, then draw the blood out, then four hours before you hit the mountains, you place your own blood which is now enriched in red blood cells, back into your body and this allows you a HUGE advantage over everyone else. It provides you with so much more Oxygen, you never have to worry about getting so tired you have to quit.

More muscles equals the need for more Red Blood Cells. And those who are doing it clean? They are at a disadvantage. I am average height and size. I can last longer then the men with jacked up muscles. Unless they are professionals. But all things being equal? Your better off with less muscle, and far more technique.
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 17:04
    Sometimes I forget to put the blood back in my brain before playing chess
  10. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    14 Aug '16 23:00
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Sometimes I forget to put the blood back in my brain before playing chess
    I know t the feeling

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree