1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 14:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I really kept thinking that Romo was going to finally make a mistake and Jay would do a fist pumping trot around the bases like when he hit the walk off that clinched the division in 2010. Alas it was not to be.

The Reds didn't roll over and fought back tenaciously but just couldn't get enough big hits to quite get it done. It's a disappointi ...[text shortened]... o the other posters for making this an interesting (if a little bit overoptimistic) thread.
    To bad the reds lost 🙁
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 02:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    To bad the reds lost 🙁
    Yes and no. I would rather loose to the Giants than possibly losing to the Cards. That would have been far more intolerable.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 15:07
    Are the Reds going to bring Dusty back????
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 15:52
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Reports are that Jocketty has already offered a "short term" contract.

I am neither a Dusty hater or a Dusty admirer. His lineup decisions are questionable and he sometimes stays too long with a starter, but, in general, he's an OK manager who seems to have the respect of his players. His coaching staff, esp. Price, seems very good. I can live with him getting a new contract or with the Reds getting a new manager as long as its not a retread one. But I think Dusty will be back next year.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 16:00

I am neither a Dusty hater or a Dusty admirer. His lineup decisions are questionable and he sometimes stays too long with a starter, but, in general, he's an OK manager who seems to have the respect of his players. His coaching staff, esp. Price, seems very good. I can ...[text shortened]... ing a new manager as long as its not a retread one. But I think Dusty will be back next year.
    Dusty is only OK and benefited from an awesome lineup. He'll be back and will do OK. Needs to learn to pull starters sooner.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 16:49
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    To be honest, I don't really care. Meh.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 16:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Dusty is only OK and benefited from an awesome lineup. He'll be back and will do OK. Needs to learn to pull starters sooner.
    The "awesome lineup" was only 9th in Runs scored, 9th in BA and 12th in OBP.
    They were 3rd in HRs, helped by GABP where they hit about 60% of their round trippers.

Overall, the offense was about average this year. The Reds won with pitching and defense.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 19:191 edit
    The "awesome lineup" was only 9th in Runs scored, 9th in BA and 12th in OBP.
    They were 3rd in HRs, helped by GABP where they hit about 60% of their round trippers.

Overall, the offense was about average this year. The Reds won with pitching and defense.
    Regardless it is an awesome lineup that would have made noise had they not lost their ace and advanced. After all pitching and defense win championships. Slugging is somewhat of an overrated stat!
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 23:05
    Regardless it is an awesome lineup that would have made noise had they not lost their ace and advanced. After all pitching and defense win championships. Slugging is somewhat of an overrated stat!
    Slugging is only overstated when you have none.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 04:17
    There is no evidence that pitching/defense is more important than offense in winning championships. And slugging pct is second only to OBP in important basic statistics for hitters.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 17:27
    I really kept thinking that Romo was going to finally make a mistake and Jay would do a fist pumping trot around the bases like when he hit the walk off that clinched the division in 2010. Alas it was not to be.

The Reds didn't roll over and fought back tenaciously but just couldn't get enough big hits to quite get it done. It's a disappointi ...[text shortened]... o the other posters for making this an interesting (if a little bit overoptimistic) thread.
    Classy post in reaction to what must have been a devastating end to the season.

Maybe you could bring some of that classiness to Debates? 😉
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 19:53

I am neither a Dusty hater or a Dusty admirer. His lineup decisions are questionable and he sometimes stays too long with a starter, but, in general, he's an OK manager who seems to have the respect of his players. His coaching staff, esp. Price, seems very good. I can ...[text shortened]... ing a new manager as long as its not a retread one. But I think Dusty will be back next year.
    CINCINNATI -- Dusty Baker missed the Cincinnati Reds' division title celebration, still recovering from a heart issue and a mini-stroke in a Chicago hospital. One win away from the NL championship series and another celebration, he came up short.

The Reds are giving him another chance to take his team deep into the postseason.

The 63-year-old manager agreed to a two-year contract extension Monday, the same length as his last deal. The Reds have won the NL Central title in two of the last three years under Baker, losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree