1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 19:452 edits
    Further to our recent upgrade, I must apologise about a further major outage occurring this Friday (20:30 GMT) for potentially up to 24hours. This outage will be our most significant, mainly because unlike previous outages, there will not be a maintenance page. RHP will vanish from the web for this period. This is not ideal, but unavoidable. The upside is, when we do come back, we should hit the floor running.

We can only apologise for another outage of this length, we have tried to keep them to once a year previously, but due to a technical issue regarding our recent upgrade which has left some people with no access, intermittent poor performance when connecting to the site, or no email, we decided to act now to resolve this rather than delay any longer.

For those that are interested in more detail, our recent upgrade appears to have been hampered by the allocation of a new IP address (from ARIN) which was only recently (summer ‘04) removed from a list which some routers used to filter ‘legitimate’ traffic. We suspect that some routers out there forming the plumbing of the internet have yet to update their routing tables with an updated list. Although the scale of the problem is hard to calculate, we are unhappy with the situation as it is.

As contacting ISPs has proved fruitless, we opted to change our IP address significantly, which in turn required a change of hosting centre. For this reason, we will be physically shipping our drives from the current hosting centre to a new location (with a new IP) to be brought back online Saturday (as early as possible).

Please post here if you have any further questions or concerns and I will do my best to answer them.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 19:50
    Timeouts will again be suspended for the duration of the weekend.

-Russ
  3. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 19:54
    as opposed to the page, could you not maybe e-mail everyone telling them of this, as i doubt most people read this forum...
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 19:59
    I plan to message everyone tomorrow AM.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 20:04
    Oh dear. I see myself getting chucked out of somewhere this weekend, and it will all be Russ's fault πŸ˜›.
  6. WORK
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 20:37
    Russ could you please provide us with some suggestions on how we could spend our time. I mean what are we going to do to keep us busy? Im afraid for alot of our members livers and brain cells right now. Perhaps more medication or meditation is in order?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '05 20:41
    Originally posted by Weadley
    Russ could you please provide us with some suggestions on how we could spend our time. I mean what are we going to do to keep us busy? Im afraid for alot of our members livers and brain cells right now. Perhaps more medication or meditation is in order?
    See those small people playing in the next room, go and play with them - they are your children. Or, see that person in a skirt who brings you food and coffee? That is your wife. Talk to her. She will like it. See that jungle outside your window? That was a lawn, go cut it.

But whatever you do, don't enjoy it too much. I want to see you all back here Saturday PM.... πŸ˜‰
    (All going well. I want an armed guard on that Fed Ex van...)

-Russ

8. London
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 00:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    See those small people playing in the next room, go and play with them - they are your children. Or, see that person in a skirt who brings you food and coffee? That is your wife. Talk to her. She will like it. See that jungle outside your window? That was a lawn, go cut it.
    -Russ
    You mean some players get food and coffee on tap? Surely this is an unfair advantage. May be I can get an upgrade (he says very quietly).
  9. Hockeytown
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 02:55
    The outage will give me extra time to work on my queen sacrifices. Thanks.
  10. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 09:27
    NOooooooooo

Must go out now and buy 100 chessboards and set them up around the house, so as to avoid the DTs.

11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    24 Feb '05 23:25
    πŸ˜žπŸ˜›Geesh a chance to dig for treasure in the crap between the keys of your keyboards and fill up the larder next to the PC mmmmmm

Go for it Russ... good luck.πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Feb '05 02:24
    Originally posted by Russ

But whatever you do, don't enjoy it too much. I want to see you all back here ...[text shortened]... aturday PM.... πŸ˜‰
    (All going well. I want an armed guard on that Fed Ex van...)

-Russ

ROTFLMAO!
  13. UK
    Moves
    25 Feb '05 20:08
    Good luck with the migration!
  14. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '05 20:22
    Originally posted by mrmist
    Good luck with the migration!
    fingers crossed :-)
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 03:10
    Migration complete. 2005-02-27 3am.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree