1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 May '18 09:043 edits
    From the New Game menu, as from today you will find a new option for Play Computer.

This uses the excellent open source port of StockFish to Javascript, (stockfish.js), so the computation for the AI is within the browser, not the server.

Hopefully it will prove useful. If it is, it will be improved beyond the current (basic) implementation.
  2. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 13:32
    Originally posted by @russ
    From the New Game menu, as from today you will find a new option for [=/chess/play-chess-against-computer-online.php]Play Computer.[/]

This uses the excellent open source port of StockFish to Javascript, (stockfish.js), so the computation for the AI is within the browser, not the server.

Hopefully it will prove useful. If it is, it will be improved beyond the current (basic) implementation.
    Excellent Russ.

You may remember that I suggested this years ago, as a way to avoid computer cheating - why should I play against your computer when there is a site one available?

The idea was shot down in flames, so I'd be interested to hear about the take up of this.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 05:33
    Originally posted by @russ
    From the New Game menu, as from today you will find a new option for [=/chess/play-chess-against-computer-online.php]Play Computer.[/]

Great idea for when all the opponents are sleeping. A small request: put a clickbutton somewhere on the actual New Game page. It would make it easier to direct people to it because most of us have two "New game" options onscreen and at present only one of them has the PlayComputer available.
  4. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 21:50
    i presume there's protection from me picking my next move based on the chess engine's help?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree