1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 14:131 edit
    After being on the receiving end of some persistent nagging, I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ
  2. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 19:33
    Russ, I have been on these site just a short time but I have been a programmer and web developer for many years. Can I congratulate you and your design team on what must be one of the best web sites out there. What elevates this site above all others is the degree of complexity you have achieved without resort to all those irritating non-standards that restrict people to using a particular version of a particular browser. This kind of site is what the web is all about.

Thanks for all your efforts.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 20:41
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Russ, I have been on these site just a short time but I have been a programmer and web developer for many years. Can I congratulate you and your design team on what must be one of the best web sites out there. What elevates this site above all others is the degree of complexity you have achieved without resort to all those irritating non-standards that rest ...[text shortened]... icular browser. This kind of site is what the web is all about.

Thanks for all your efforts.
    You are going to hate me for the next big release then...πŸ˜‰

I have had an unwritten policy of just supporting the latest builds of the most common browsers, rather than let the site stagnate because of Netscape 4 compatibility, for example.

The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 is the obvious one, if Microsoft can't be bothered to take the browser forward, then I don't want to kill innovation here because of it.

(Mac users, get Safari on you machine now! You have been warned! πŸ™‚)

-Russ
  4. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 21:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    You are going to hate me for the next big release then...πŸ˜‰

I have had an unwritten policy of just supporting the latest builds of the most common browsers, rather than let the site stagnate because of Netscape 4 compatibility, for example.

The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 ...[text shortened]... ecause of it.

(Mac users, get Safari on you machine now! You have been warned! πŸ™‚)

-Russ
    Well, I guess there are some limits πŸ™‚ However, any web site of this complexity that works in konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox and probably even Internet Exploder gets my vote for smarty pants web site of the year!

You're doing a grand job.
  5. Gloucestershire , UK
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 23:07
    I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ
    yes stats are great, more stats make RHP great, need stats
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Apr '05 10:14
    I will be dedicating a whole project to producing stats in the future, so the measly player stats at the moment will be expanded considerably.

-Russ
  7. Standard membercolette
    Quiet revolutionary
    The Edge
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 15:57
    I will be dedicating a whole project to producing stats in the future, so the measly player stats at the moment will be expanded considerably.

-Russ
    Hurray. Can we have clan head-to-head stats too, please?!

Colette
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 18:42
    After being on the receiving end of some persistent nagging, I decided to upload a very basic tournament stats page.

-Russ
    Who was that nagging guy? *nag*nag*πŸ˜‰
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 08:491 edit

-Russ
    Hi Russ

Do you think it would be possible to dedicate some time to clan stats? I know a lot of clan leaders are very interested in something like cludi from the Vikings Clan has designed on his website:

http://www.clausjensen.com/TheVikings/
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 23:24
    The next big release takes some new steps forward, and some browsers will have to be dropped once more. Mac IE 5.2 is the obvious one, if Microsoft can't be bothered to take the browser forward, then I don't want to kill innovation here because of it.
    I have linux so this doesn't really affect me. I'd recommend that it should be possible to still use the site after upgrading it, at least to the extent of being able to make moves in games and enter tournaments and so on. If some "non-core" functionality isn't available to MS windows/IE 5 users then it doesn't matter but there's no point in freezing out lots of players just because they use the market dominant system, and downloading and installing browsers and being ok at chess aren't the same thing...
  11. Internet
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 12:24
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I have linux so this doesn't really affect me. I'd recommend that it should be possible to still use the site after upgrading it, at least to the extent of being able to make moves in games and enter tournaments and so on. If some "non-core" functionality isn't available to MS windows/IE 5 users then it doesn't matter but there's no point in fre ...[text shortened]... system, and downloading and installing browsers and being ok at chess aren't the same thing...
    IE5 for Mac (the browser in question) is in no way the dominant browser on Macs. Mac IE5 is notoriously incompatible, partly due to the fact, that Microsoft discontinued development/updates a year ago. Safari (an alternative browser) is shipped with OS X and a wide selection of other browsers are available for free download.
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Apr '05 14:03
    I will provide a backwardly compatible board interface for a year or two, but general site rendering will be messy on IE Mac. (but still useable for the persistent.)

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree