Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Clubs Public

Clubs Public

1. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    22 Feb '16 15:38 / 1 edit
    A subscriber can start a club and they automatically become the "club admin".

Can additional admins be added at any point by the original admin?
    What happens to that club when the club admin lets their subscription to RHP expire?
    I see many clubs that have a non-sub admin. Are they still managing their club or if not, who is?
  2. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    25 Feb '16 13:21
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    [b]A subscriber can start a club and they automatically become the "club admin".

Can additional admins be added at any point by the original admin?
    What happens to that club when the club admin lets their subscription to RHP expire?
    I see many clubs that have a non-sub admin. Are they still managing their club or if not, who is?[/b]
    I would've thought it's the same as clans -one admin/leader only
    I don't know how non subs are affected in clubs as regards playing chess or what happens when the leader is a non sub
  3. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    25 Feb '16 14:27
    Originally posted by venda
    I would've thought it's the same as clans -one admin/leader only
    I don't know how non subs are affected in clubs as regards playing chess or what happens when the leader is a non sub
    I know that you need to be a sub to start a club, but non-subs can join and participate in everything within the club. Also I think they still have the same game limit restrictions as any other non-sub.

So what I am wondering is when a sub starts a club then lets their subscription expire, are they still allowed to run the club activities, such as creating tournaments and accepting new members into the club, or does that function die?

I suppose other club members could contact Russ and he could appoint a new club admin but I expect it would still need to be a willing member who also is a subscriber.

Anyway, I was just curious because I see many clubs that have a non-sub admin and there isn't much happening within the club. It's still there but seems to be dead.
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    26 Feb '16 20:28
    I know that you need to be a sub to start a club, but non-subs can join and participate in everything within the club. Also I think they still have the same game limit restrictions as any other non-sub.

So what I am wondering is when a sub starts a club then lets their subscription expire, are they still allowed to run the club activities, such as creat ...[text shortened]... ub admin and there isn't much happening within the club. It's still there but seems to be dead.
    I suspect the clubs with non sub leaders are inactive because the leader has stopped using the site and so his sub has expired naturally.
    Check out some of the inactive clubs and see when their leader last moved in a game
    However look at Music club.Club 368
    As far as I know "Duke" the leader has never been a subscriber.
    You could ask him but I think he's got some sort of restriction on pm's being a non sub.
    He asked me to join his club so he could communicate with me when we were on the same team at another club in a forum game
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    27 Feb '16 00:23 / 2 edits
    The Duke must have been a subscriber at some stage because he's a clan leader (and is still playing at least one clan game), but in any case I believe only subs can create a club. It's easy enough to change leaders but if there's nobody offering things just get left. I suspect that some club functions may stop working after the leader's sub expires.
  6. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    27 Feb '16 00:54
    So with an inactive club admin there will not be any new tournaments and new member applications will be ignored.

Existing members can still use the forum if the admin activated it before skipping town, and existing members can play club games.

Does that mean that the only way to re-energize that club and get things moving forward is for some other member in the club to send a feedback and hope Russ will make someone else the admin?

That's how it appears to be.
  7. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    27 Feb '16 13:31
    So with an inactive club admin there will not be any new tournaments and new member applications will be ignored.

Existing members can still use the forum if the admin activated it before skipping town, and existing members can play club games.

Does that mean that the only way to re-energize that club and get things moving forward is for some othe ...[text shortened]... send a feedback and hope Russ will make someone else the admin?

That's how it appears to be.
    I think you're correct in your assumptions but it's a bit like the clan system in that there's very few people prepared to take on the work required to make the club a success.
    People start clans and clubs on a whim and then just get fed up.
    The remaining members just accept that the clan/club is dead and move on to another clan or club.