Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Clubs Public

Clubs Public

1. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    03 Oct '11 03:35
    I'd like to ask other members for their opinions on the 'best run club'...this could be for any reason but I'm trying to get an understanding of what that constitutes, why the opines offered here are important etc...is it merely 'making' most tournaments, to be amongst friends, is it forum activity, a mixture if both and \ or others. Your call guys
  2. Subscriber roma45
    st johnstone
    03 Oct '11 08:45
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I'd like to ask other members for their opinions on the 'best run club'...this could be for any reason but I'm trying to get an understanding of what that constitutes, why the opines offered here are important etc...is it merely 'making' most tournaments, to be amongst friends, is it forum activity, a mixture if both and \ or others. Your call guys
    as a member of a lot of clubs, multi is the ONLY one, the best by far, you always get a answer to a post here not the cobwebs that amass when you start a thresd in other clubs, if only our glorious leader was british, his knighthood would be in the bag.
  3. Subscriber jankrb
    Conductor
    03 Oct '11 18:13 / 2 edits
    Hard to say, I can't choose
    When clubs are about the same like clans, one can pick a Best Run Club.
    When clubs do complete different things they are incomparable.....

I am in 4 clubs and they have different values for me.

One is just for fun, playing clubtournaments: CLUB COLORADO USA.
    One is to exploit and learn gambits: Gambit Fantasy.
    One is developping a league system for individual players: Players League.
    One is combining banded tournaments, open tournaments, thematic tournaments,
    clubchallenges, computerchallenges and a open friendly forum: M.U.T.I.
  4. Subscriber jankrb
    Conductor
    03 Oct '11 19:30
    Originally posted by jankrb
    I am in 4 clubs and they have different values for me.
    Edit 3.

All these clubs do have one big similarity: great leaders.

Without them, no good club.
  5. 03 Oct '11 20:46
    "best run club" very difficult question. Everyone can define it in his own view. Meaning of best run club of one is different from other hence none cant say about this exactly. I also agreed with jan as he said different clubs have their own specialty hence cant be comparable. Best run club required some necessary qualities but it is not necessary that these quality always works or sufficient. Let me try to explain.....as I think some of them are:
    1. Very active club leader.
    2. Interaction between club member.
    3. Introduce new type of activity to keep maintain popularity.

Only very active club member may run "best run club" as Jan said in previous. My first club the fast movers which was actually slow movers club because of not active club leader (as i think). Interaction is very important because best run club can not be depend upon only club leader. Active members of club may help the club leader. In this way club members may feel good that club is their own and they will support to running the club. Making of tournaments is a good thing to keep members active and run the club but it it not sufficient but new activity may create more interest in club as i feel, for example in this club a new activity MUTI vs Computer is a very good experience in my personal view. None single thing can make "best run club" but combination of all may be......

@Rev ... i will wait for your comments.
  6. 04 Oct '11 08:20 / 1 edit
    Huh, What Rev, is it Leur's birthday, that you want to flatter him so?
    As for the "best run club"
    The answer is obviously master tournament organiser Leur.
    The great commentator....Rev

What I mean is you need a good tournament organiser, not just matching players of similar ranks but also introducing them to openings;
    and a regular commentator, one who posts interesting topics on a regular basis
    and the members themselves should be active too.
  7. 04 Oct '11 16:03
    Originally posted by LEUR

Every good work always faces critics. We are talking about "best run club" not about MUTI but shahenshah's comments about LEUR who is fearless leader of MUTI shows MUTI may be "best run club". I dont know Rev is a great commentator or not but it is sure shahenshah is a great commentator at least he is the first person who try to compare MUTI as "best run club". For a "best run club" a good critic is necessary and this is my forth point which was missed in my previous post.
  8. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    04 Oct '11 23:45
    Originally posted by The lost player
    "best run club" very difficult question. Everyone can define it in his own view. Meaning of best run club of one is different from other hence none cant say about this exactly. I also agreed with jan as he said different clubs have their own specialty hence cant be comparable. Best run club required some necessary qualities but it is not necessary th ...[text shortened]... t run club" but combination of all may be......

@Rev ... i will wait for your comments.
    A friend here is 'contemplating' setting up a club with that goal of creating a combination of what WORKS and the idea was to find just what that is and perhaps to breach it.. unlikely in my opinion but my experiences with clubs is rather limited so who knows. 'Club MUTI' most definitely is very well run, Leur must spend inordinate amounts of time achieving this but my advice to the said friend was to join as many clubs as possible just to see what is needed to keep most all happy. I didn't want to single out MUTI as there are others...'fast movers' has clandarkfire for leader, he's busy studying presently so I'm afraid the club must be placed on the back burner. There are probably many others worthy of mention, and some with unique formats, 'players league' having divisional challenges but only for the subscriber.
    So, I'm just looking, looking for that 'ideal'
  9. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    04 Oct '11 23:47
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    Huh, What Rev, is it Leur's birthday, that you want to flatter him so?
    As for the "best run club"
    The answer is obviously master tournament organiser Leur.
    The great commentator....Rev

What I mean is you need a good tournament organiser, not just matching players of similar ranks but also introducing them to openings;
    and a regular commentator, o ...[text shortened]... posts interesting topics on a regular basis
    and the members themselves should be active too.
    Lol Sunil, 'great commentator'...what you really mean is that I YAP A LOT
  10. Subscriber LEUR
    TEXAS
    06 Oct '11 14:48
    A friend here is 'contemplating' setting up a club with that goal of creating a combination of what WORKS and the idea was to find just what that is and perhaps to breach it.. unlikely in my opinion but my experiences with clubs is rather limited so who knows. 'Club MUTI' most definitely is very well run, Leur must spend inordinate amounts of time achiev ...[text shortened]... s but only for the subscriber.
    So, I'm just looking, looking for that 'ideal'
    1. LP expressed it best...something like...A good club needs more than a good leader, it needs good members...participation...
    2. If I were asked what I would like this club's MO to be widely known as, it would be SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY...
    3. I don't know how to get around the SITE's restrictions on non-subs...I have offered one non-sub tournament and will offer more when I am made aware of an interest (see #1)...
    4. It is apparent to me that the many and varied tournaments offered here are quite popular and this pleases me to no end...I will continue to work hard on this...
    5. Forum participation although a relatively small percentage of total membership is much higher than any other club I have been involved with...I sometimes will forward items in the forum to MESSAGE ALL MEMBERS to include members who simply don't check in on the forums for their own good reasons (but I don't over-do this, I hope)...
    6. Membership in MUTI has increased about 125 members since the first of the year...and that number is less than 10 percent of those invited...
    ...that's all I have for now...please comment, critique, offer suggestions, whatever you like...forum or PM...
  11. 07 Oct '11 08:46
    Lol Sunil, 'great commentator'...what you really mean is that I YAP A LOT
    Well, actually, I meant the frequent posting without pasting (hurting) others or giving occasion for negative feelings to arise.
  12. 08 Oct '11 07:02
    These are the facts for me too.

A problem is, that RHP does not give the club-leader the right tools, which the want.

Banded tournaments, 0 timeout tourneys and the possibility to make series of tournaments with a ranking fot these tournaments. Also we need the option to stop the automatic information for starting tournaments. A lot of members hate this automatically information, rubbish for the bargain.

The last point is, that I create not to many tournaments, for getting not to many messages.

I do not understand, that the people does not understand the importance to use the forum. THis could be not done from the club-leader alone.
  13. Subscriber LEUR
    TEXAS
    08 Oct '11 12:51
    Originally posted by Johannes Goethe

A problem is, that RHP does not give the club-leader the right tools, which the want.

Banded tournaments, 0 timeout tourneys and the possibility to make series of tournaments with a ...[text shortened]... t understand the importance to use the forum. THis could be not done from the club-leader alone.
    EXCELLENT, Johannes...I am on your side my friend...
  14. Subscriber jankrb
    Conductor
    08 Oct '11 20:56
    Originally posted by LEUR
    EXCELLENT, Johannes...I am on your side my friend...
    You both are great clubleaders!
  15. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    11 Oct '11 21:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Johannes Goethe

Banded tournaments, 0 timeout tourneys and the possibility to make series of tournaments with a ...[text shortened]... t understand the importance to use the forum. THis could be not done from the club-leader alone.
    Johannes, there are many club issues that could be better catered to here...we're still waiting on the tournament TER's for clubs, something for which the site is dragging its feet over and nobody is sure why. This is rather off the top of my head but I also wonder why the club leaders cannot have some 'powers' with regard to creating OFFICIAL site non sub tournaments, it can't be abused game wise as the non sub only has six games at a time but why not be able to create a small tournament amongst dedicated players whether sub or not. The logistics could be a nightmare but with good rules and strong time controls, the non sub who can't make space with his allocation of games will quickly be timed out within a defined time frame..he won;t enter if he quickly realises how tough the limits are. Personally I think it much tougher for the club leader, organising non subs in his own tournaments, when he's having to make allowances for members who are plainly not giving the tournament priority and just playing out their other games as and when they feel like it. Paying members will know shout, 'BUY A SUBSCRIPTION THEN !' but surely there's the carrot and the stick element somewhere in all of this...if it gets a handful of extra subscribers then why not..it's not rocket science as the means are available to the site owners if they so wish ? It's the only means available here whereby both spectrum of members can interact both in the forum and with games, otherwise the club may as well not exist, as there are ample provisions for non subs with the public forum and open invites or private challenges...