Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Clubs Public

Clubs Public

1. 30 Oct '11 11:11
    This is a challenge from raiox leader of the Gambit fantasy club (Club 236) to non-subscribers.

It does seem to be little in the club system for non-subscribers in terms of games. There is the open invite but that is not a lot of use in Gambit Fantasy unless the set piece facility was available for club open invites.

So here is my proposal, I will play one game against any non subscribers in the club who want to play. A 'raiox v non-subscribers' tournament. You can choose the colour and the Gambit opening (from one that we have used in the club - about 50 differnt options). We will see who wins me or the non-subscribers.

So if you are not a member then join the club (Club 236) then let me know and I will add you as a buddy so you can challenge me. I will accept challenges up to the end of November.

raiox
  2. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    30 Oct '11 14:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by raiox
    This is a challenge from raiox leader of the Gambit fantasy club (Club 236) to non-subscribers.

It does seem to be little in the club system for non-subscribers in terms of games. There is the open invite but that is not a lot of use in Gambit Fantasy unless the set piece facility was available for club open invites.

So here is my proposal, a buddy so you can challenge me. I will accept challenges up to the end of November.

raiox
    An open invite 'tourny' could work, yes. Each player open invites his \ her opposition drawn from the tournament. There could be a time limit for the initial invite to take place, within x days of the tournament draw being made. You, the administrator, can forward a player to the next round if they've waited beyond this initial period ( perhaps that moment could be upon the timebank being initiated, these are merely idle thoughts ). This 'could' work for both subs and non subs as the tournament is entirely at your diposal...any thoughts ?
  3. 30 Oct '11 22:29
    It can work. But on the whole the tournaments that I have seen organised using pm and forums (and even an external website) - they haven't worked well, as people don't start games or lose interest. It is difficult for non-subs to clear games. Any tourny would have to be a duel. So it is possible, the organiser has to be strict - and I can see disputes arising as to who is at fault for not starting the games - game limits, challenge restrictions and buddies..

But having said that I see the Provisional club say they organise non-sub tournies - I have no idea if that is really happening and if so how successful they are. Perhaps I'll message the organiser for comment.

So personally I wouldn't want to organise one - this tournament is for fun and it is simple and easy to organise. Entry is by starting a game. If people state interest and then don't start a game then there is no issue.
  4. Standard member SapanRinpoche
    Sapan Rinpoche
    31 Oct '11 08:42
    Hi, raiox & RevRSleeker ... raiox requested that I respond to this thread as (my esteemed friend and also power member of the club for which I am the Admin, CLUB COLORADO USA) RevRSleeker had entered comments in the thread!

NON-SUBSCRIBER TOURNAMENTS ... as an Admin I wrestled with this situation last year, and in some good long discussion with the Admin of the Provisional Club, patrickrutgers, came to the conclusion that running some N/S Tournament events in the Club Forum might be the most viable way of openning up the situation. Let me say that RHP Admin, RUSS, had basically No Suggestions! Clearly, RHP strives to gain subscribers and promotes to the N/S group with both that suggestion, to subscribe (as a fair number do) and N/S people put up with a LOT of advertising, from which RHP also then benefits.

Well, the N/S Event situation (limitation of only six concurrent games) is NOT an insoluable problem! So I set up two N/S QUARTET EVENTS in the CCUSA Forum. They have both run their course, but there are some time-consuming aspects for the Admin to get them going on a straight track (one of mine did; one of mine has not been so successful, with nitty-gritty little problems like completing games in a timely way, or defaulting, etc.). Generally, I believe I should in November start some new N/S Quartets, but raiox's suggestion of perhaps sticking to DUAL TYPE events may be a sounder course. To my surprise, with about ten N/S members of CCOUSA at the time, these N/S members were slow to pick up on the offering, which I had carefully researched. You could check out those events in CCOUSA (ID#221 I think) and see how I set them up, and how I communicated with the prospective entrants. Honestly, I will have to go back to my drawing board on this, and I will poll ALL of the N/S members of CCOUSA to see if they have any feedback or other inputs. THAT may be very helpful to our cause here.

NOW, Gambit Fantasy is a very large and effective club, to say the least, and I think, raiox, in addition to your fine and compassionate offering, you could launch at least one (two nice ones have been considered, I know), restricted just to G/F NS members and run it in the Club Forum! Quartet or threesome or your DUAL idea. Since not re-upping as a Subscriber last June, and running into some significant personal tangles with travel, exhausted vacation time, and timeouts, I have neglected some of my duties as CCOUSA Admin, but will be getting back to ALL of those in November after completing a HUD [USA Housing & Urban Development] inspection in the next few days. THUS, raiox and RevRSleeker, I shall return to this thread and post what I hope will be some substantive comments. Kudos to both of you for picking up on the N/S plight! Of course, if one really wants to play in RHP Tournament Events, Ladders, Clans and so forth, it is just simply best to become a subscriber, and one receives a lot for the annual money, no doubt! However ... CHESS ECONOMICS has its side-issues also! ENUF fer now my friends. Kindest regards, Sapan Rinpoche
  5. 06 Nov '11 12:16
    Originally posted by SapanRinpoche
    Hi, raiox & RevRSleeker ... raiox requested that I respond to this thread as (my esteemed friend and also power member of the club for which I am the Admin, CLUB COLORADO USA) RevRSleeker had entered comments in the thread!

NON-SUBSCRIBER TOURNAMENTS ... as an Admin I wrestled with this situation last year, and in some good long discussion with the ...[text shortened]... SS ECONOMICS has its side-issues also! ENUF fer now my friends. Kindest regards, Sapan Rinpoche
    Thanks SapanRinpoche for the kind words and the challenge. I think personally I will turn down the challenge - however this does not stop someone within the club organising this (e.g. a non-subscriber) in the forum! I will support them and even send a message on their behalf to the non-subscribers.
  6. Standard member patrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    08 Nov '11 23:02
    Indeed, Provisional Club! has had Non-Sub tournies in the forum. Some were run by me, as club owner, and some were run by other club members who took on the challenge themselves. It's a fair bit of work. But worse is when you do the work and then members wind up dropping out of the tournament and/or leaving the site.

For a while, Provisional Club! had a pretty dedicated core group of non-subscribers so we could pretty sure of that cadre sticking with a tournament to the end. But it's also been awhile. I'd be all for club members having another go at it and would help out as club owner by sending messages to club members. It's enough work that I know I don't often time to do it myself.
  7. 12 Nov '11 07:55
    To add to the mix we now have Club 305 also offering non-sub tournies. Good luck to you.
  8. 09 Dec '11 09:24
    The RESULTS

This tournament has now finished. The idea worked, though the numbers of games played was less than the interest shown - which was a shame. Anyway I enjoyed it and perhaps will do it again sometime.

The results: raiox 2:1 Non-subscribers.

We had a From Gambit, King's Gambit Accepted and a Danish Gambit. Many thanks to Stamp, romcan and mcmasik for joining in.