Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Clubs Public

Clubs Public

1. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    05 Jan '15 04:25
    Non-subs can join, but still can't play in tournaments unless the club leader is prepared to do a heap of extra work.

Forums don't stay active for long unless the club's focus is on chess learning and discussion. The declining number of forum posters is spread ever and ever more thinly across a large number of mostly defunct clan and club forums. This has also harmed the public forums.

Most clubs have few open invites on offer, and those that do often have them expire unaccepted after 72 hours.

I've always felt that clubs were invented in a rush to satisfy demands for more moderation, less moderation, and different moderation, in the public forums.

Does anyone else have an opinion?
  2. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    05 Jan '15 16:07
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Non-subs can join, but still can't play in tournaments unless the club leader is prepared to do a heap of extra work.

Forums don't stay active for long unless the club's focus is on chess learning and discussion. The declining number of forum posters is spread ever and ever more thinly across a large number of mostly defunct clan and club forums. This ha ...[text shortened]... deration, and different moderation, in the public forums.

Does anyone else have an opinion?
    Can't agree with you on this one.
    The M.U.T.I club Club 108 has a very active forum and there's not a lot of chess talk on there.
    When we play the forum based game wwg(nothing to do with chess) there's so much on the thread it's difficult to keep up!!
    The number of tournaments has dropped off a bit since Leur handed over the reins but, as with clans, the volume depends on how much work the leader is prepared to put in.
    As with clans, I expect a lot of clubs are started in good faith and then left to rot when they don't live up to expectations.
    I think you've just joined the wrong clubs.
  3. Standard member LEUR
    TEXAS
    05 Jan '15 16:44
    Originally posted by venda
    ...the volume depends on how much work the leader is prepared to put in.
    ...in a nutshell...
  4. Subscriber sbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    05 Jan '15 20:46
    I agree with Venda. I've joined some clubs that didn't have much going for them and soon left them. MUTI is very well run, has many tournaments, an active forum, and a very pleasant atmosphere. Highly recommended as an RHP gem. If I could only belong to a single club, it would be this one.
  5. Subscriber roma45
    st johnstone
    05 Jan '15 22:52
    when i clicked the link...i thought oh no not a golf thread.....

muti is the best club i have ever been in....i have joined many...football fans sci-fi...both of which i am really interested in.....but turned into a forum graveyard....

members make a club..no doubt about it...and there is more than 20 regular posters, covering a wide range of interests, the main thing is...if you post or start a thread...you get a reply...some clubs the cobwebs come...

i also get a lot of pms from members, who dont like to post...but love to read the forums.....trying to get them involved in the WWG, but some only play at weekends so cant take part but do follow it...

with the forums...i try to stay away from "taboo" subjects, leave that to the insane public forums...its amazing how many "experts" there is out there, some dont live in the same world i do.....maybe no one does...

we in muti are not a club...we are family
  6. 05 Jan '15 23:59
    Originally posted by venda
    Can't agree with you on this one.
    The M.U.T.I club Club 108 has a very active forum and there's not a lot of chess talk on there.
    When we play the forum based game wwg(nothing to do with chess) there's so much on the thread it's difficult to keep up!!
    The number of tournaments has dropped off a bit since Leur handed over the reins but, as with c ...[text shortened]... eft to rot when they don't live up to expectations.
    I think you've just joined the wrong clubs.
    Couldn't agree more.
    There are only so many puzzles to ponder over.
    But there are endless werewolves to kill.
  7. Standard member LEUR
    TEXAS
    06 Jan '15 01:00
    Originally posted by UNCLEBRO
    Couldn't agree more.
    There are only so many puzzles to ponder over.
    But there are endless werewolves to kill.
  8. 06 Jan '15 10:44
    I started a club just so that I could create a tournament that I could enter and have a chance of winning
    and boy have we gone beyond that.

It also comes down to as mentioned above how much a club admin puts into it.

When I get too busy less tournaments are created.

We also started various leagues and non sub tournaments but their success depends on the players. Some are keen and eager. Some read the rules. Some participate.
    But: Many don't. That causes troubles down the line when trying to run a non subs tournament. (Example: 3 non subs who join up and then disappear)
  9. Standard member LEUR
    TEXAS
    06 Jan '15 21:33 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Costad
    I started a club just so that I could create a tournament that I could enter and have a chance of winning
    and boy have we gone beyond that.

It also comes down to as mentioned above how much a club admin puts into it.

When I get too busy less tournaments are created.

We also started various leagues and non sub tournaments but their success depe ...[text shortened]... e when trying to run a non subs tournament. (Example: 3 non subs who join up and then disappear)
    The MUTI rap sheet
    -Ten Were Wolf Games with four different creator-moderators
    -Three Were Wolf Chess Games, a format created by Club MUTI
    -Three non-sub chess tournaments
    -Two Fischer Random Start chess tournaments
    -Six consultation (team) chess games
    -One MUTI Club vs Computer chess game
    -One chess puzzle thread
    -One conundrum puzzle thread
    -Several word-play type threads
    -Two Club chess ladders
    -506 threads created
    -44413 chess games played
    -786 Club tournaments played
    -Three excellent Club Leaders (and I do mean excellent...)
    -Increase in membership the past four years: 25 to 232

And lots of other furshlugginer stuff that this old man is not about to remember.