1. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 21:26
    Quote:

'.....fed off the dead of the starving apes'

Yeah, but, Stanley / Arthur didn't show us that bit, did they?
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    11 May '09 21:27
    Originally posted by znsho
    Yes it is!
    The whole (correct) premise of natural selection is survival of the fittest. Members of a population that were unfit to survive would not be allowed to reproduce because they would die. Now, with things like hospital care, we can actually keep these people alive long enough to reproduce, thus killing any beneficial mutations that could be passed on and increasing the risk of bad mutations.

I'm actually not sure if it's a good or bad thing, to be honest. The best, I think, would be true natural selection, but I don't think that's possible. So between governmental or societal selection (eugenics) and the current system, I'll go with the current system.
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 21:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 21:40
    Originally posted by scherzo
    The whole (correct) premise of natural selection is survival of the fittest. Members of a population that were unfit to survive would not be allowed to reproduce because they would die. Now, with things like hospital care, we can actually keep these people alive long enough to reproduce, thus killing any beneficial mutations that could be passed on and incre ...[text shortened]... l or societal selection (eugenics) and the current system, I'll go with the current system.
    No, evolution is not solely about 'survival of the fittest'. It is about the 'tendancy to survival of the fittest'.

Sometimes, crap genes survive, sometimes really good genes die out, by pure chance.
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    11 May '09 22:02
    I do not find the film incomprehensible. The message is clear, though scientifiaclly flawed.

My question is simply pragmatic, designed to cause trouble. A bit like FMF.
    My late father took me to see this movie when I was in high school. He was a scientist and introduced me to the fiction of Arthur C. Clarke, whom he enjoyed.

but he wasn't all that impressed by the storyline. All he said in his usual bemused, slightly dismissive tone when we left the theater was "So, God is a black box ..."

Now the film he really liked was Return of the Jedi, for it was replete with sight gags aimed at his youthful devotion to the movie serials and pulp fiction and comics of Terry and the Pirates, whatisname Armstrong, buck rodgers, flash gordon, and so on. He got a lot of amusement especially out of the Donald Pleasance character of Jabba's monster caretaker, dressed like a Nazi torturer and crying like a baby when his hideous charge wound up crushed by the cage door. That made him laugh outright, something he very rarely did, perhaps because he never really got over growing up fatherless during the Depression.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 22:29
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    My late father took me to see this movie when I was in high school. He was a scientist and introduced me to the fiction of Arthur C. Clarke, whom he enjoyed.

but he wasn't all that impressed by the storyline. All he said in his usual bemused, slightly dismissive tone when we left the theater was "So, God is a black box ..."

Now the film he really lik ...[text shortened]... y did, perhaps because he never really got over growing up fatherless during the Depression.
    He must have been impressed by 'The Sentinel' which is what 2001 is really based upon.

2001 is tedious. At the same time, it is mesmorising. I can understand people not liking it. I can also understand people thinking it genius.

Maybe that's the brilliance of the film - tedious and boring and, at the same time, mesmorising and fascinating, answering questions (at least, to some extent).
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    11 May '09 23:43
    Agreed. 2001 is a brilliant movie. Got it on DVD. Watched many times, but not once have I managed to stay awake.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '09 00:15
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Agreed. 2001 is a brilliant movie. Got it on DVD. Watched many times, but not once have I managed to stay awake.
    The waltzing space stations are the best scenes, but none of it explains why popcorn gets stuck between your gums and teeth - I hate that!
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    12 May '09 00:34
    No, evolution is not solely about 'survival of the fittest'. It is about the 'tendancy to survival of the fittest'.

Sometimes, crap genes survive, sometimes really good genes die out, by pure chance.
    OK, if that's what Lamarck told you ...
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    12 May '09 01:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The waltzing space stations are the best scenes, but none of it explains why popcorn gets stuck between your gums and teeth - I hate that!
    yes, I think the only movie to really prevent that problem was Alien -- the first one. It was enough to put me off shellfish for quite a while.
  11. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 11:19
    Originally posted by scherzo
    OK, if that's what Lamarck told you ...
    Lamarck did not tell me this. When I was born, Lamark was dead. Besides, Lamarck said nothing at all about survival of the fittest so I do not understand your comment.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 May '09 15:54
    tedious and boring
    Very tedious and one of the most boring films ever!
  13. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 22:45
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    Very tedious and one of the most boring films ever!
    The Boyfriend was worse.
  14. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    12 May '09 23:54
    Quote:

'.....fed off the dead of the starving apes'

Yeah, but, Stanley / Arthur didn't show us that bit, did they?
    do you have to be spoon fed everything?
  15. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 May '09 16:52
    Originally posted by StTito
    do you have to be spoon fed everything?
    Yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree