Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    22 Jul '13 11:34
    Getting new bass with 5 strings. Does anyone know of any familiar songs or basslines that utilize the extra b string?
  2. 22 Jul '13 13:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Getting new bass with 5 strings. Does anyone know of any familiar songs or basslines that utilize the extra b string?
    Unless you're Les Claypool, why would you waste your money on a 5-string bass?
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Jul '13 17:48
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Unless you're Les Claypool, why would you waste your money on a 5-string bass?
    Waste? Some of them use 6 and 7 string basses. It's a brand new world for bass, it's not just thump thump thump any more.
  4. 22 Jul '13 19:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Waste? Some of them use 6 and 7 string basses. It's a brand new world for bass, it's not just thump thump thump any more.
    Yeah, a brand new world. With this winner as their leader:

http://lordonly.net/Images/John/jt2x99namma2.jpg

Why don't you go ahead and answer Karoly's question about familiar songs with the 5-string bass.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jul '13 16:16 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Yeah, a brand new world. With this winner as their leader:

http://lordonly.net/Images/John/jt2x99namma2.jpg

Why don't you go ahead and answer Karoly's question about familiar songs with the 5-string bass.
    Man, that sucker must weigh a ton! TWO 8 stringers! Fretted and fretless. Wow. So who is that dude? Named John something?

As far as ME knowing bass stuff, sorry, I am expert in acoustic guitar fingerpicking but know little about bass except thump thump thump kind of thing anyone can do🙂
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jul '13 17:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Man, that sucker must weigh a ton! TWO 8 stringers! Fretted and fretless. Wow. So who is that dude? Named John something?

As far as ME knowing bass stuff, sorry, I am expert in acoustic guitar fingerpicking but know little about bass except thump thump thump kind of thing anyone can do🙂
    Here is one online lesson for 5 string bass:

YouTube

Still don't know any songs for it though.
    Sorry, that was less than one minute.

Here is another one a bit longer, going from 4 sting to 5 string.

YouTube