1. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 17:53
    If anyone read Anthony Burgess's novel I was wondering if they had any guesses about what the author who lost his wife due to being "very badly raped" was writing about before his manuscript was destroyed.

If you recall the manuscript was titled "A Clockwork Orange" and was probably anti-political.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 18:16
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    If anyone read Anthony Burgess's novel I was wondering if they had any guesses about what the author who lost his wife due to being "very badly raped" was writing about before his manuscript was destroyed.

If you recall the manuscript was titled "A Clockwork Orange" and was probably anti-political.
    I couldn´t get past the first chapter, I´m afraid.
    All that weird language... brrrrr....
  3. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    05 Jul '08 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    That's the entire reason it's an excellent book, the way that Newspeak is half of the reason "1984" is an excellent book.

(EDIT I.e. not just in a bizarre-dialects-are-cool-to-read sense but in a the-way-we-express-our-thoughts-constrains-what-we-can-think sense.)
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 04:20
    I found the movie to be quite funny. 1984 on the other hand scared the crap out of me.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 10:48
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    I found the movie to be quite funny. 1984 on the other hand scared the crap out of me.
    It was meant to.

Richard
  6. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 13:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I couldn´t get past the first chapter, I´m afraid.
    Double-plus-ungood, eh?
  7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 17:53
    Originally posted by nihilismor

The movie makes it out to be very much a political satire, the fact we see first hand what a monstrous person alex was and seemed to show very little remorse by the end serves to highlight the folly of their govornment for deprogramming him in order to increase their own popularity.

The ending of the book is slightly different, but I wont spoil that for you if you are still reading it.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Jul '08 05:35
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    That's the entire reason it's an excellent book, the way that Newspeak is half of the reason "1984" is an excellent book.

(EDIT I.e. not just in a bizarre-dialects-are-cool-to-read sense but in a the-way-we-express-our-thoughts-constrains-what-we-can-think sense.)
    I agree. I just couldn't read through it.

I saw the film though and that was pretty much okay in a post-dated 1970's sort of a way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree