1. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 12:24
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    no one touches Emmet Ray apart of course the Gypsy.
    The Gypsy being Paco de Lucia?

Hi guys..... I'm still alive 😀

-m.
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 12:27
    Originally posted by mikelom
    The Gypsy being Paco de Lucia?

Hi guys..... I'm still alive 😀

-m.
    Django. Come on.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 12:29
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    about JM- never loved his stuff in comparison with say Al Dimeola- that being said I got a couple of the flight cases from a local music store that JM's band used for a late 70s tour..

great for storing random crap. 🙂
    4 bucks.
    Dimeola is a great craftsman, but he is so slick that he has little soul. I'd take Bill Conners as a fusion player. Dimeola is versatile to be sure but a little too safe. Take some chances, Al.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 14:486 edits
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Dimeola is a great craftsman, but he is so slick that he has little soul. I'd take Bill Conners as a fusion player. Dimeola is versatile to be sure but a little too safe. Take some chances, Al.
    What is it with all the adulation for electric guitar players? Has everyone forgotten acoustic players? There is a lot more soul and subtlety in the acoustic guitar then you can ever get in electrics. For instance, in classical guitar, Listen to this, Jesu Joy of man's desiring, JS Bach, by Christopher Parkening.
    YouTube

Do that on an electric.

Or this, a short ten minute excerpt from a 2 hour Martin Simpson concert:

YouTube&feature=related

Or this: Pierre Bensusan playing Merry kissed the Quaker and Cunla

YouTube&feature=related

And this from a girl named Macyn Taylor, "Daisy goes a Dancing'

YouTube&feature=related

Here she is doing 'Ragamuffin':

YouTube&feature=related

More of her live in 2008:

YouTube&feature=related

I think we have a new star on the acoustic in her! She now has her own signature guitar made for her:
    YouTube&feature=related

BTW, she just graduated from the Univ. of Wisconsin at the age of 17 with a degree in guitar performance.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 21:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is it with all the adulation for electric guitar players? Has everyone forgotten acoustic players? There is a lot more soul and subtlety in the acoustic guitar then you can ever get in electrics. For instance, in classical guitar, Listen to this, Jesu Joy of man's desiring, JS Bach, by Christopher Parkening.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iX8tsA0N7E ...[text shortened]... graduated from the Univ. of Wisconsin at the age of 17 with a degree in guitar performance.
    The Martin Simpson was nice. I'll check some of the others latter.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 22:01
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The Martin Simpson was nice. I'll check some of the others latter.
    Macyn Taylor was pretty good too. Great talent. I had a student who took off like that. I can't touch him anymore.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '12 15:28
    Macyn Taylor was pretty good too. Great talent. I had a student who took off like that. I can't touch him anymore.
    Do you teach acoustic guitar?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '12 16:24
    Do you teach acoustic guitar?
    I have no students right now. I teach beginner piano and guitar when I have students.

If you would like to hear my own guitar work I have some albums online. The last of which was called Weapons of Righteousness .

jackwilmore.scripturesongs.us

I listened to a few more tracks of Ms Taylor which I enjoyed.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '12 16:44
    I have no students right now. I teach beginner piano and guitar when I have students.

If you would like to hear my own guitar work I have some albums online. The last of which was called [b] Weapons of Righteousness

jackwilmore.scripturesongs.us

I listened to a few more tracks of Ms Taylor which I enjoyed.[/b]
    Did I give you my myspace url? I have 4 of my own acoustic compositions there.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '12 16:581 edit
    Did I give you my myspace url? I have 4 of my own acoustic compositions there.
    Be glad to listen to them. Point them out. But I'll need some time to play through some samples. URL on your profile ?

Recommend your favorites.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 14:44
    Be glad to listen to them. Point them out. But I'll need some time to play through some samples. URL on your profile ?

Recommend your favorites.
    I have a bit on myspace, myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

I have a lot more on dropbox, 2 and a half hours and more coming. I made a project for my mom who has not heard much of my music or my family so I put together bits and pieces of live performance and recordings in my living room of us and some family friends. I have more recordings from my band Southwind and other early stuff from the '70's that I have yet to archive on Dropbox. I sent that music to my mom in an advanced mp3 player that has 8 gigs of internal memory and room for 16 gigs more in a microSD chip. Even so, I put 100 photos and 2 and a half hours of music, mp3 of course and only touched the surface of what memory is available. I wrote a couple of tunes in my sister Maxine's name and in mom's name, some multitrack and some solo. I have written about 25 tunes, instrumentals only. I don't read music that fast and have been looking for someone who is an expert at written music to put my tunes down on paper and maybe publish a book of my tunes. Some of them are pretty good.

One I am proud of is on the myspace site, Heather's Waltz, my first attempt at a waltz in honor of my daughter who has an MA in music and teaches at Federal university in Natal Brazil (Long story).
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 10:361 edit
    I have a bit on myspace, myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

I have a lot more on dropbox, 2 and a half hours and more coming. I made a project for my mom who has not heard much of my music or my family so I put together bits and pieces of live performance and recordings in my living room of us and some family friends. I have more recordings from my band South ter who has an MA in music and teaches at Federal university in Natal Brazil (Long story).
    thanks,

If you are inclined to go through the trouble, you can play music into a software package called Finale, and under certain midi conditions it will notate it for you.

If Finale is too involved, I think, some midi program out there must notate music when the mic is attached. I know I have done that with a old program called Encore back in around 95.

You know it is possible that I heard Heather's Waltz before some years ago. I think I may have, a few years ago, listened to some of your songs. It sounds familiar.

It is very good to warm your parents heart with your creations. I am trying to do the same thing now with some concert piano pieces. But I have trouble emailing an mp3 file or a wav file anymore with netscape. even compression and zipping doesn't help.

How do you email an mp3 file ?

Thanks for recommending some songs which I will try to sample here.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 00:57
    thanks,

If you are inclined to go through the trouble, you can play music into a software package called [b]Finale,
    and under certain midi conditions it will notate it for you.

If Finale is too involved, I think, some midi program out there must notate music when the mic is attached. I know I have done that with a old program called ...[text shortened]... u email an mp3 file ?

Thanks for recommending some songs which I will try to sample here.[/b]
    My limit on email here is 5 megs. Now a full CD quality file is 11 megs per minute, so 33 megs for a 3 minute music file, way more than you can send in email. But MP3 files are at least one tenth the size of a full CD file so most of mine are under 5 megs, the mp3 conversions. I use Cakewalk Sonar X1, the latest version, I have been using Cakewalk since my daughter Heather was going to Berkeley school of music in Boston, which was around 1996, she gave me an academic version of cakewalk 4.5, a very early release and I have been using Cakewalk for 15 odd years now. It has the ability to turn a full wav file into any iteration of Mp3, from 328 Kb/sec to 16 or so, which of course at the lowest level sounds like shyte, so I convert to 192 Kbyte/sec level which even a hard core hi fi nut would have trouble telling the difference between that and full 16 bit 44.1 Ksamples/sec sound. Of course there is 24 bit sound and even 32 bit and beyond but I defy anyone to tell the dif between regular cd level and the higher bit rates. At the higher bit rates, like 32 bits and say 192,000 samples per second you are getting up into the range of video transmission, you wouldn't be emailing that any time soon. But 192 Kb Mp3 files are a great compromise between sound quality and file size, 3 minutes around 4 megs or so, a far cry from 33 megs for cd quality.

If you PM me your email address I can invite you to my dropbox folder, you establish an account with Dropbox based on my invite, you get 2 gigabytes of offline storage for free and a monthly fee if you want more than that, once you have dropbox, from my invite you can hear all of the 2+ hours of music both live and recorded in my home studio of me, my wife and friends, my guitar teacher, Backwards Sam Firk, AKA Mike Stewart, RIP and my best buddy in Jerusalem, a singer songwriter, luthier, polymath genius, Ray Scudero, also sadly RIP. Mike recorded for decades with Delta X, AKA Stephan Michealson and I included a cut from them where I was playing mandolin on a blues piece called Mama What you think this is. Anyway, you can play any or all of it if you follow through by downloading dropbox. My son Kevin is an avid user of dropbox, has been using it for years, there are no ads or adware with that bunch, they are one of the good guys. So if you are interested, pm me your email, I'll give you an official invite, then you open an account with them, get 2 gigs of free space you can use for anything from photo's, music, docs, spreadsheets, whatever and if your computer crashes, you don't lose any of that 2 gigs even if you hard drive catches fire and explodes. That is the upside to dropbox. So far I have found no downside, no advertising, no adware, just a great place to put data in the cloud.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree