1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 12:20
    Language, Truth and Logic -- worth bothering with?
  2. Standard memberRapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 12:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Bosse, de, Nage. --Why read his dumb posts?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 13:13
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    Bosse, de, Nage. --[b]Why read his dumb posts?[/b]
    No reason, little bunny. Go find a carrot.
  4. Standard memberRapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 15:11
    No reason, little bunny. Go find a carrot.
    Never heard that term. Pretty funny.
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:40
    Yes, it's worth a read, along with later criticisms of the Logical Empirisicm he advocated. It's a good introduction to the thought of the Vienna Circle, and important part of the history of analytic philosophy. Ayer was on the mark with his criticisms of the extravagent metaphysics of earlier speculative philosophy. However, the 'verification principle' has not stood the test of time. This has it, roughly, that the only meaningful propositions are those that can in principle at least be verified empirically; unfortunately the verification principle cannot itself be thus verified, and so is thought to be self-defeating.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 09:56
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    Yes, it's worth a read, along with later criticisms of the Logical Empirisicm he advocated.
    It's surprisingly readable and enjoyable.

What would you follow it up with?
  7. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 15:242 edits
    It's surprisingly readable and enjoyable.

What would you follow it up with?
    Ayer was known as a philosopher who could express difficult ideas clearly, and along with Russell and Berlin, was well-known to the public.

what to read next really depends upon your interests. if you're up for a challenge, you could try Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, which was a big influence on the Vienna Circle and, subsequently, Ayer. Wittgenstein later adopted a radically different position, however.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 10:14

what to read next really depends upon your interests. if you're up for a challenge, you could try Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, which was a big influence on the Vienna Circle and, subsequently, Ayer. Wittgenstein later adopted a radically different position, however.
    A bit of Wittgenstein can't hurt. I've got a copy of the later book. Is there a point to reading both? Which do you agree with more?

I might just go off the deep end though and immerse myself in Vico. For some reason that book gives off a rare buzz.
  9. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 13:28
    A bit of Wittgenstein can't hurt. I've got a copy of the later book. Is there a point to reading both? Which do you agree with more?

I might just go off the deep end though and immerse myself in Vico. For some reason that book gives off a rare buzz.
    i'm more of a Philosophical Investigations guy than a Tractatus guy. if you just want to read one book by W, go with PI. It's a lot longer, but a lot more fun and i think - for reasons i won't go into here - that its conception of language is more useful. having said that, it's worth trying to understand what W was trying to do with the TLP.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Apr '08 22:13
    OK--I saw the debate and the aftermath. This AJ Ayer--did he really bomb the Pentagon and other government buildings? If so, why is his ass not sitting in jail?
  11. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    19 Apr '08 11:521 edit
    Thomas Nagel's books of philosophical essays are really worth it, even if you don't agree with him. Mortal Questions would be a good place to start - it has essays on Death, Absurdity, Panpsychism, and more, and contains the classic 'What is it like to be a Bat?'. If you get something out of that volume, go on to The View From Nowhere and then Last Words.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 May '08 18:35
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    OK--I saw the debate and the aftermath. This AJ Ayer--did he really bomb the Pentagon and other government buildings? If so, why is his ass not sitting in jail?
    Thought you were joking the first time round ... But the Pentagon could do with a Logic Bomb.
  13. Joined
    17 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 May '08 19:19
    [b]Yes, it's worth a read, along with later criticisms of the Logical Empirisicm he advocated. ...[text shortened]...
    to be clear, are you talking about later Wittgenstein, or are you saying that at some point in his career when AYER turned against logical empricism?

If your saying the latter, please direct me toward that book/essay, because I'd love to see that.
  14. Joined
    17 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 May '08 19:27
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    William Ayers and most of the Weather Underground were let off because the CIA violated so many due process laws trying to track them down.

I don't know of them ever bombing the pentagon, but they did bust Tim Leary out of jail.
  15. Joined
    17 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 May '08 19:37
    I think that generation of philosophers was very interesting. It's a short book, but it's not a very thrilling read. It's dry. But this little excerpt is pretty good.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/ayer_metaphysics.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree