A local composer's society

Standard memberRemoved
Culture 30 Aug '14 02:22
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:221 edit
    I belong to a composer's society in the Northern Virginia and Maryland USA.

The name of the group is the Composer's Society of Montgomery County .
    The only rules for submitting pieces for performance are they have to be legible and playable.

We put on three concerts a year.
    We have what I would consider folk song artists.

Latter I will post some performances. I am playing YouTube right now and cannot link anything while it is playing.

Mr. sonhouse, if you would like to provide a link to your folk compositions do so.

Here is the link to a collection of Scriptures Songs (Bible passages put to music) composed by myself plus many friends through the last 20 plus years.

www.scripturesongs.us
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:25
    Here I am performing.

New Heavens and New Earth

YouTube
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 02:32
    Larry Heinan's Nocturn for Guitar and Flute.

YouTube

Another composition by myself Soprano, Piano, Flute
    (performance fair)

YouTube
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 18:15
    Originally posted by sonship
    Larry Heinan's Nocturn for Guitar and Flute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ondw-78_RHg

Another composition by myself Soprano, Piano, Flute
    (performance fair)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AEpA8Tujo
    You can find four of my compositions for stringed instruments, guitar, mandolin, lap dulcimer at myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

I have about 3 hours of 25 years of jennings family music and friends on drop box but you have to be invited, pm me with an email address, I will invite you to our dropbox site.

Also have ongoing compositions I have yet to record. Getting behind in that. Found a problem with my laptop based recorder using a Tascam US 1800 pre-amp-I/O, they record at 24 bit 44,100 bps rate, better than CD level but am having a bit of trouble adding tracks. It might have something to do with memory latency adjustments, have to dig into it. My band is waiting for me to finish our recordings also, a bit behind!
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 20:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You can find four of my compositions for stringed instruments, guitar, mandolin, lap dulcimer at myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

I have about 3 hours of 25 years of jennings family music and friends on drop box but you have to be invited, pm me with an email address, I will invite you to our dropbox site.

Also have ongoing compositions I have yet to re ...[text shortened]... nts, have to dig into it. My band is waiting for me to finish our recordings also, a bit behind!
    Thanks.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 20:302 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Also have ongoing compositions I have yet to re ...[text shortened]... nts, have to dig into it. My band is waiting for me to finish our recordings also, a bit behind!
    The River I am listening to for the second time in a long time.

On the site I linked www.scripturesongs.us Matt Fritz's albums have more dolcimer backround than my albums.

The River is very pretty.
    Congradulations.

I care for this more than Hard Thud and THump. But in years gone by I was very hard into Heavy Tungston myself.

Can you believe old jaywill ( aka sonship) once played psychedelic music - fuzz tone, echo chamber, waw waw ? I did.

Thanks for the link.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 20:371 edit
    Andronian Android is nice too.

Reminds me of River Dance and Irish dance music.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 22:117 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    Andronian Android is nice too.

Reminds me of River Dance and Irish dance music.
    Thanks! That tune is an answerback kind of thing, there are two tunes there, the first one is called Andro, which is a thousand year old Occitan tune (also called Provecal, the original language in southern France. French is the interloper language when they took over). The French don't really like Occitan being spoken but there are 1'500,000 speakers. We were taught Andro by Yves Chandon, a brilliant musician living in Grenoble, works at Motorola as a systems analyst but is heavily into folk music and knows a lot of Occitan songs and tunes. He came to Arizona where we had an old timey band called Sugarloaf mountain string band and taught us a lot of tunes, including Andro. So I added a second tune to it and came up with Android.

I have a bunch more tunes written now. Not sure how many of them I can put up on Myspace. I have some on Reverbnation also but they limit you to 6 tunes uploaded, any more and it is no longer free.

http://www.reverbnation.com/jenningsfamily/songs

It seems they let me upload 7 songs there. Millers Song, with me, my wife Susan and our dear friend, Jill Rogoff, a great singer living in jerusalem, which is where that concert was put on. There are several of my own tunes there, named for our family members, Pearl's tune is for Susan's Mom, RIP, then Kali's waltz for our grandaughter, Sweet Sunny south, an old Carter family song, recorded on a cassette in Jerusalem and I added some stuff later, bad recording but I did what I could with it. Vocals sound ok though.
    My tune Haloween Waltz is next, a mandolin tune, and then Star of the County Down, an Irish traditional tune, I did on piano. Then Susan's tune, written for my wife, a guitar solo.

BTW, here is some Occitan folk music:

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree