1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 05:361 edit
    - Aleksander Solzjenitsyn -

He died yesterday.
    An interesting character. He was banned from the Soviet Union, and settled in the US until the fall of communism.

When asked about why he thought the US was better than the Soviet Union, he answered with the immortal words: "A plague on both your houses."

However, his political views are as disasterous as many of his comments and are based on one set of circumstances (he drew generic conclusions from one example).

On the other hand, he wrote every book by hand (well, the orginal, presumably) and he does give harrowing accounts of what life was like for many druing one of the most horrible dictatorships ever suffered (Stalinism).

If you're interested, you could fare worse than reading:
    - The Gulag archipelago
    - Cancer ward or
    - August 1914

R.I.P.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 08:16
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    - Aleksander Solzjenitsyn -

He died yesterday.
    An interesting character. He was banned from the Soviet Union, and settled in the US until the fall of communism.

When asked about why he thought the US was better than the Soviet Union, he answered with the immortal words: "A plague on both your houses."
    In other words, he could quote Shakespeare.

Mind you, he was right, at that.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree