1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 11:231 edit
    When the film the Life Of Brian was released, it not surprisingly caused a fair bit of controversy. So much so that there was debate on UK television about it. You can see the whole thing on Youtube if you wish, but this link will give you the flavour of it:

YouTube

The 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' team, who were in some ways the successors to Monty Python, brought out this inspired parody shortly after, where they take no prisoners on either side:

YouTube
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 06:19
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    When the film the Life Of Brian was released, it not surprisingly caused a fair bit of controversy. So much so that there was debate on UK television about it. You can see the whole thing on Youtube if you wish, but this link will give you the flavour of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx6w6cCWHHc

The 'Not the Nine O'Clock News' team, who we ...[text shortened]... ter, where they take no prisoners on either side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx6w6cCWHHc
    I remember seeing Life of Brian in a local theatre when it was first released. I heard people gasping and even heard the word "heresy" several times. A small number of people walked out. I enjoyed it thoroughly and still have a copy on dvd.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 09:351 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I remember seeing Life of Brian in a local theatre when it was first released. I heard people gasping and even heard the word "heresy" several times. A small number of people walked out. I enjoyed it thoroughly and still have a copy on dvd.
    My school (13 to 18 years) had a film club and the pupils could suggest films. Being a Christian school, our suggestion of Life of Brian was ignored, and we got Midnight Express instead.

I wonder when we will see Monty Pythons 'Life of Ahmed' being made? It sounds impossible today, but as Cleese said, 400 years ago they would have been burnt for making this film. I suspect 200 years ago they would have been arrested, 100 years ago they would have be ostracised from social circles. Nowadays it would barely raise an eyebrow.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 09:57
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I don't think I've ever met anyone in the UK who took offense to the film, although I'm sure there are some. I find it strange that people of the disposition you describe would even go and see the film in the first place. I have a copy on DVD also, it's one of my favorite films.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 10:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't think I've ever met anyone in the UK who took offense to the film, although I'm sure there are some. I find it strange that people of the disposition you describe would even go and see the film in the first place. I have a copy on DVD also, it's one of my favorite films.
    The BBC has had a number of instances where they have received hundreds of complaints from people offended by a programme's contents even before it has been aired.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree