1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 09:05
    A complete change of mood now, with a live version of Joni Mitchell’s The River, from a recording at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970.

When I first heard this song (nearly 30 years ago – gulp), I was gripped from the second I heard the intro of Jingle Bells played in a minor key.

YouTube

This song has been covered nearly 230 times. Which is pretty amazing. But even more so when you consider it is only the third most covered Joni Mitchell song (behind Both Sides, Now and Big Yellow Taxi).

You can also listen to the album version here:

YouTube

The album it comes from, Blue, was voted number 30 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

As it's Christmas, I won't say what I think about that.....
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Dec '14 12:07
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    A complete change of mood now, with a live version of Joni Mitchell’s The River, from a recording at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970.

When I first heard this song (nearly 30 years ago – gulp), I was gripped from the second I heard the intro of Jingle Bells played in a minor key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCov0TYXBp8

This song has been cover ...[text shortened]... 00 Greatest Albums of All Time.

As it's Christmas, I won't say what I think about that.....
    I have heard most of her songs, followed her since about 1968 and also have seen even earlier cuts of a Canadian folk show she was on under her maiden name, Joan Anderson. (Born Roberta Joan Anderson). I have a bootleg cassette of her and James Taylor doing a concert, I think on a New York FM station, live, that was outstanding, just her and guitar and dulcimer and James with just guitar and their singing. It was a wonderful concert.
    "I wish I had a river to sail away on', great song, but almost ALL of her songs were great, songs like 'for Free", the depth of her is incredible.
    She is also a fine painter also, she basically has retired to her cottage and just paints now. Another one I really loved, I was a free man in Paris, I felt unfettered and alive, nobody calling me up for favors, nobodies future to decide. I'd go back there tomorrow but for the work I've taken on, stoking the star maker machinery, behind the popular song.
    Who writes lyrics like THAT anymore?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Dec '14 09:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have heard most of her songs, followed her since about 1968 and also have seen even earlier cuts of a Canadian folk show she was on under her maiden name, Joan Anderson. (Born Roberta Joan Anderson). I have a bootleg cassette of her and James Taylor doing a concert, I think on a New York FM station, live, that was outstanding, just her and guitar and dul ...[text shortened]... stoking the star maker machinery, behind the popular song.
    Who writes lyrics like THAT anymore?
    Couldn't agree with you more. I have been compiling a playlist of my favourite JM songs, and I found myself keeping every track of her first six albums. Couldn't leave one out. Amazing stuff.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree