Good, but no prodigy!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '11 04:49
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Good, but no prodigy!
    Yes, but I was amazed that he knew all the notes like that, seems like a really long tune for a 5 yo to learn! I guess he isn't on the order of a 5 yo Mo but still he has gone a long way for such a young age.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '11 11:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yes, but I was amazed that he knew all the notes like that, seems like a really long tune for a 5 yo to learn! I guess he isn't on the order of a 5 yo Mo but still he has gone a long way for such a young age.
    That's not that impressive either. Any highly intelligent child like this could be taught memorization quite easily. I'm glad to see little kids like that studying hard at something great like music and this kid is so cute on top of it all. I actually was more impressed by his stage demeanor and aplomb for such a yougster. I know my knees would have been jelly in such circumstances!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '11 14:43
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That's not that impressive either. Any highly intelligent child like this could be taught memorization quite easily. I'm glad to see little kids like that studying hard at something great like music and this kid is so cute on top of it all. I actually was more impressed by his stage demeanor and aplomb for such a yougster. I know my knees would have been jelly in such circumstances!
    For some reason I never experienced much stage fright. My band played some venues for 5000 people and I wasn't even nervous. Go figure.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 02:36
    For some reason I never experienced much stage fright. My band played some venues for 5000 people and I wasn't even nervous. Go figure.
    Did you hit the stage at 5, though? The kid has true artistic demeanor found in older, more sophisticated kids. There's a local kid so shy, but a keyboard whiz who because of this decided to tackle the most difficult keybord instrument simply to not face the public. In a few years he was a world class pipe organist! He does not mind playing with his back to the public. I saw him tackling the Saint Saenz organ symphony. His virtuosity elevated the youth orchestra like you have no idea!
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:03
    I played for 6,000 one night, as a guest with orchestra. No nerves. Smooth as silk.

I was asked to play at a funeral of about 60 people, and shook all the way thru it, my left hand barely had the strength to press the strings........

Can we work that out?

And when I am asked to play for my mum n dad and family...... well I'm a wreck.. 😀

Much easier to play for large audiences, rather than a small group.

I wonder if it is easier to get away with mistakes with a majority, than simple mistakes by individuals who listen for perfection?

Is that it?

-m.

-m.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 18:29
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I played for 6,000 one night, as a guest with orchestra. No nerves. Smooth as silk.

I was asked to play at a funeral of about 60 people, and shook all the way thru it, my left hand barely had the strength to press the strings........

Can we work that out?

And when I am asked to play for my mum n dad and family...... well I'm a wreck.. 😀

Much eas ...[text shortened]... ty, than simple mistakes by individuals who listen for perfection?

Is that it?

-m.

-m.
    There's no telling. I testify in court about 4X/month. Never get terribly nervous. But in front of small groups of people making presentations about other stuff I'm a nervous wreck. I also get more nervous in front of predominantly female juries.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Mar '11 13:23
    Originally posted by mikelom

Can we work that out?

Smaller groups are more personal. If you mess up, you know who saw it. A funeral is, of course, more personal for other reasons as well. At least for me, the more personal something is, the harder I find it.

Richard
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Apr '11 14:11
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Smaller groups are more personal. If you mess up, you know who saw it. A funeral is, of course, more personal for other reasons as well. At least for me, the more personal something is, the harder I find it.

Richard
    I guess for some, a small audience would naturally be a lot closer physically so may make a performer more nervous than a large audience who would be physically further away. My band played a gig for national TV and I was a bit more nervous just thinking of the millions of people who would be listening, in that case we were just in a studio with only techs around and no audience. Go figure. We played a lot of Irish bars and they plied you with drinks so there was no problem there! One gig, this dude kept feeding us Irish coffee's, alcoholic coffee, and I hate coffee but had to take some to make the dude feel good, that was awful.
  11. The Hague
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 19:06
    For me the size of the audience doesn't really matter.

It's more about who's in the audience (my former teachers, for instance, or some famous ill-mooded old pianist), and most of all, apart from that, my own preparation.

Concerts are way different in this way than for instance competitions. I hate competitions, I don't have a terrible stagefright or anything but the nature of the thing makes my heart speed up just by thinking about having to play next month.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree