Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 26 Feb '08 20:39
    The title speaks for itself I gues...
  2. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    26 Feb '08 21:11
    I think Noodles is, couldn't vouch for anyone else.
  3. 26 Feb '08 21:17
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    The title speaks for itself I gues...
    It's been my experience that it seems to mean different things to different people. I listen to some classical, but my interests primarily lie in "20th Century Classical". Where are you drawing the line?
  4. 26 Feb '08 21:22
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It's been my experience that it seems to mean different things to different people. I listen to some classical, but my interests primarily lie in "20th Century Classical". Where are you drawing the line?
    nowhere, I understand what you mean there, in this case I don't refer to the Classical Era, rather to the genre spanning back several centuries.
  5. 26 Feb '08 21:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    nowhere, I understand what you mean there, in this case I don't refer to the Classical Era, rather to the genre spanning back several centuries.
    Were you looking to discuss anything in particular or just curious to see how many followers there are?

    Some favorites are Shostkovich, Morton Feldman and Ligeti. I tend to shy away from orchestral works.

    I notice from your profile that you also have an interest in jazz. This is my primary musical interest. I listen to some swing, some bebop, quite a bit of free and creative improvised music.

    How about you?
  6. 26 Feb '08 21:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Were you looking to discuss anything in particular or just curious to see how many followers there are?

    Some favorites are Shostkovich, Morton Feldman and Ligeti. I tend to shy away from orchestral works.

    I notice from your profile that you also have an interest in jazz. This is my primary musical interest. I listen to some swing, some bebop, quite a bit of free and creative improvised music.

    How about you?
    I love baroque music and like you I tend to avoid full scale orchestral music because I find that the texture is very heavy to me, I play the organ and the piano myself and so I mainly listen to keyboard music.

    I only got into Jazz in the last couple of years after introduced to it by a history teacher, I found it instantly addictive though.

    As far as the thread is concerned I was surprised to see nothing in the culture forum explicitly about classical music so I thought I'd kick something off and see where it went.
    -S
  7. 26 Feb '08 22:04
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    I love baroque music and like you I tend to avoid full scale orchestral music because I find that the texture is very heavy to me, I play the organ and the piano myself and so I mainly listen to keyboard music.

    I only got into Jazz in the last couple of years after introduced to it by a history teacher, I found it instantly addictive though.

    As far a ...[text shortened]... explicitly about classical music so I thought I'd kick something off and see where it went.
    -S
    Not much overlap in the classical arena I think the only music I have from the baroque era is Gould playing Bach's "Goldberg Variations". I also have a disc of Scarlatti, though that's played on accordian, so I don't know if that really counts.

    I going to start a "jazz thread". I'd be interested in hearing your views on various pianists.
  8. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    26 Feb '08 22:42
    Originally posted by rhb
    I think Noodles is, couldn't vouch for anyone else.
    Recently picked up Truls Mørk ~ Britten - Cello Suites 1-3 on her recommendation. Excellent!
  9. Standard member Sunburnt
    Leopard Girl
    26 Feb '08 23:09
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    The title speaks for itself I gues...
    I love it but I must admit my collection is small and I have no real knowledge - just a familiarity and an occasional affair with it when I'm alone.
  10. 26 Feb '08 23:10
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Recently picked up Truls Mørk ~ Britten - Cello Suites 1-3 on her recommendation. Excellent!
    Sounds intriguing. I really like cello. I've never heard anything by Britten. Stylistically, where would you put it?
  11. 26 Feb '08 23:12
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Recently picked up Truls Mørk ~ Britten - Cello Suites 1-3 on her recommendation. Excellent!
    Glad you liked it! Did it lead to some interesting paintings?
  12. 26 Feb '08 23:38
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Sounds intriguing. I really like cello. I've never heard anything by Britten. Stylistically, where would you put it?
    Hmm, difficult... It sounds very much like Britten, but that won't help if you don't know anything by Britten! It's clearly tonal most of the time, but rarely in major-minor tonality. Rhythmically and melodically, it often has a rhetorical quality. Some of it reminds of Gregorian chants. To me the suites have something deeply spiritual. A fellow cellist told me a story he had come up with in connection with the first suite; it was about a young man on a spiritual journey, becoming a monk, then being distracted by all kinds of wordly pleasures and suffering, and in the end finding his way back to inner peace. I thought it was very fitting.
  13. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    26 Feb '08 23:48
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Glad you liked it! Did it lead to some interesting paintings?
    I actually would have sent you a picture of the painting I did, if I didn't completely hate how it turned out. I was trying something new...experimenting, and things did not go as hoped. (I was trying to create a color reproduction of a black and white still-life I'd done several months ago.)

    It wasn't the fault of the music, though. It's actually very good painting music. Just what I was looking for. Thanks. I plan on looking at a few of your other recommendations as well.
  14. 27 Feb '08 00:01
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Some favorites are Shostkovich, Morton Feldman and Ligeti.
    I absolutely love Shostakovitch. Ligeti is interesting, very varied. I have played the sonata for solo cello which was written early and is very traditional, reminiscent of Bach. When he left Hungary and was exposed to a wider range of modern music, his music changed drastically, and he always kept experimenting and using new ideas.
  15. Standard member Anonymousnumber1
    Just call me
    27 Feb '08 00:19
    david russel david russel, and uhhh

    david russel