1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 15:59
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I do, except for Chopin. I had to do a report on him in seventh grade. His music was depressing and slllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww.
    How can you not like Nocturne in F minor.....shame on you
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 16:04
    What's with all the bickering about the definition of classical music? It's the same broad term as Rock and Roll with a whole list of sub-genres.

This isn't hard to understand.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 16:15
    "Tacoma Trailer" is a great piece of work in the classical style by a modern composer. I won't give it away by stating his name. Download and judge for yourself...you may be surprised when you find out who's CD it is on.
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 21:31
    Originally posted by Steinberg
    The title speaks for itself I gues...
    Yes, it does. [the title]

Yes, I do. [like classical music]

I like this forum center! 😀
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:03
    To name my very favourites:

Handel's Messiah

Shubert's Death and the Maiden

Mahler's The Resurrection Symphony

Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No.3

Philip Glass's Concerto for Orchestra (I guess this is a case where "neo-classical" is a helpful term.)
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:26
    Originally posted by Anonymousnumber1
    david russel david russel, and uhhh

david russel
    Speakin of which, I got a phone call the other day informing me that I would get a one hour lesson from one of the greatest classical guitarist in the world today. This is somewhat akin to Curly of the Three Stooges getting a piano lesson from Horowitz. I will let you know how it goes. I am very intimdated.
  7. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Speakin of which, I got a phone call the other day informing me that I would get a one hour lesson from one of the greatest classical guitarist in the world today. This is somewhat akin to Curly of the Three Stooges getting a piano lesson from Horowitz. I will let you know how it goes. I am very intimdated.
    I can top that.

I got an e-mail today from a Nigerian Prince!
  8. The sky
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:42
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    I can top that.

I got an e-mail today from a Nigerian Prince!
    Did he offer you a guitar lesson?
  9. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:54
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Did he offer you a guitar lesson?
    Sadly, no. But he did offer me $12 million (US) in exchange for my contact info.
  10. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:33
    Sadly, no. But he did offer me $12 million (US) in exchange for my contact info.
    You know, this is like the boy who cried, "wolf!" Some day there's really going to be some unfortunate prince of Nigeria who won't be able to give his millions away. "Why won't they take my money?" he asks himself as he paces nervously back and forth in his cavernous palace.
  11. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:45
    I happen to be a big fan of any classical music. I enjoy playing anything from Beethoven to present the most because of more interesting horn parts, but I'll listen to just about any composer.

Some favorites are Stravinsky (I may have a chance to play his "Octet for Winds" soon. I'm very excited about this.), Richard Strauss (the trio from "Der Rosenkavalier", act III is simply beautiful. His second horn concerto is a favorite of mine.), Mahler, Schumann.

I just started rehearsals on Brahm's second symphony. Concert's March 30. We're also playing Max Bruch's double concerto for viola and clarinet.
  12. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 12:27
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    I happen to be a big fan of any classical music. I enjoy playing anything from Beethoven to present the most because of more interesting horn parts, but I'll listen to just about any composer.

Some favorites are Stravinsky (I may have a chance to play his "Octet for Winds" soon. I'm very excited about this.), Richard Strauss (the trio from "Der Ros ...[text shortened]... rt's March 30. We're also playing Max Bruch's double concerto for viola and clarinet.
    I gather you play horn. So do I. That solo at the end of Brahms' Second Symphony is to die for. One of the great joys of my life is playing that in a good orchestra.

Though what I am I cannot avoid, yet to be what I would not shall not make me tame: if I have horns to make one mad, let the proverb go with me, – I’ll be horn-mad.
    – Wm. Shakespeare, 1564-1616
    (The Merry Wives of Windsor: Act III, Sc. 5)
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 15:39
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn

Though what I am I cannot avoid, yet to be what I would not shall not make me tame: if I have horns to make one mad, let the proverb go with me, – I’ll be horn-mad.
    – Wm. Shakespeare, 1564-1616
    (The Merry Wives of Windsor: Act III, Sc. 5)
    Annie: The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, William Blake.
    Crash: William Blake?
    Annie: Yeah, William Blake.
    Crash. (pauses)...what do you mean "William Blake"?
    Annie: I mean William Blake!!

-Bull Durham (movie) 1988
  14. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 19:02
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    I gather you play horn. So do I. That solo at the end of Brahms' Second Symphony is to die for. One of the great joys of my life is playing that in a good orchestra.
    Yes, I play horn. Unfortunately I'm only filling in on this concert playing horn 4 so I don't get the solo. 🙁 It's the first time I get to play this particular symphony, so I'm looking forward to it. There are a couple of orchestras around where I live that I sub in, but there are more bands, so I play with them more often. But if given the chance I'll play in an orchestra over a band any time.
  15. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 20:57
    Recently picked up Truls Mørk ~ Britten - Cello Suites 1-3 on her recommendation. Excellent!
    I recently had the pleasure of attending a concert where Mork performed these! I also had the pleasure of attending a very recital by Maiski doing Britten in a very small, informal setting a few years back... I think my wife has loved him ever since :-(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree