1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 14:18
    I was recently in college and I heard a group of girls say that, in our current society, even the desire to create and see art has been lost. Personally, recently I was in an exhibition of Gabino Amaya Cacho. He is a great painter and artist, in spite of everything, the gallery was full. What do you think?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 17:586 edits
    Originally posted by @daniela455
    I was recently in college and I heard a group of girls say that, in our current society, even the desire to create and see art has been lost. Personally, recently I was in an exhibition of Gabino Amaya Cacho. He is a great painter and artist, in spite of everything, the gallery was full. What do you think?
    Abstract paisley art. Nice but not my cup of tea. But there is more than one art, like mine, music. I don't think the arts are in any danger of dying, any of them, painting, sculpture, music, dance, theater, they all seem to be thriving as far as I can see.

Like my friend George Winston, he single handedly brought the solo piano to the world of folk and jazz piano.

He started a whole new genre of piano leading to a large number of similar kind of 'new age' pianists like Yanni, Liz Story, David Lanz, John Tesh, William Ackerman and the like.

We were best buddies back when we lived in Venice Beach, I had an Irish band and he was just starting out.

It was funny, I took my family to Scottsdale Arizona and George was almost unknown but his first record was bought by Windom hill in a re-release of his first record put out on John Fahey's label, 'Ballad and blues for solo piano' (Takoma Records). The time was right, this time that record went platinum.

I first heard this in Scottsdale in an elevator! We are going WTF? Not knowing he had made it big timeπŸ™‚

It only takes someone like that to fire up an entire art, bringing it out to the world and inspiring countless other artists to take it up.

In George's case, you can find countless youtube video's showing how he played Pachabel and Charlie Brown and the works of Vince Guaraldi, a genius composer and George's own compositions.

Look at Andre Segovia, who started a whole school of classical guitar. If it wasn't for Segovia, classical guitar would still be in the 19th century, used for obscure pieces by such genius as Fernando Sor and such, great works brought to the forefront by Segovia in early 20th century.
    I talk about music because that is about the only art I know how to do. My wife is much better at other arts BESIDES music. I have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler and am totally blind when it comes to what color goes with what, not color blind but just total dufus about colorπŸ™‚

The arts are deeply embedded into our psyche and will never die.
    Remember, there was cave art 50,000 years ago and 40,000 year old flutes found.
    Humans danced around the campfire probably 100,000 years ago.

None of that will ever disappear from human existence.

Clothing art, dance, sculpture, music, painting, writing, theater, ballet, none of those arts are in much danger but for sure interest piques when a virtuoso or master of some art comes out with world popularity.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Jun '18 21:47
    I never have been a single day in my life.
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 20:05
    i think of art as i do of all things,
    a plant must be pruned to encourage the growth of new fruit,
    pain must be felt to understand healing,
    hunger is the teacher that gives us empathy...

as the yin follows the yang throughout the universe, all things must die to give way for new birth...
    and while the "death" of art may seem extreme, it is essential for the birth of more artistic expression...
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jun '18 01:191 edit
    I don't think the desire to create and see art has been lost, it has however been diminished a bit. It's demoralizing to watch a group of young people in an large art gallery sitting on benches, staring at their iphones, and texting when surrounded by 15th century art treasures that they can't see anywhere else. πŸ™
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '18 12:33
    Do you listen to the radio, or stream music from the internet?

Because music is art.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    02 Jul '18 11:541 edit
    "Abstract paisley art."

I like that kind of art. It pleases my eye.

However, so-called "performance art" has never been my cup of tea. I've always regarded it as a medium where mediocrity attempts to express itself, all-the-while, it's fetching for legitimacy.
    Joaquin Phoenix and his "rap-venture" immediately come to mind. Great actor...poor performance artist.

I've recently watched Kenneth Clark's classic,13-part series "Civilisation" on YouTube. A very enjoyable review of Art History.
    Simon Schama also gives a well detailed accounting of the Masters in his series, "Power of Art".

As for music: Absolutely an art! One that I've never had a grain of talent for...and I appreciate anyone who does. Though, I might've qualified as Triangle player in my High School's Marching Band had I exerted an extreme effort. πŸ˜‰
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '18 03:07
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    "Abstract paisley art."

I like that kind of art. It pleases my eye.

However, so-called "performance art" has never been my cup of tea. I've always regarded it as a medium where mediocrity attempts to express itself, all-the-while, it's fetching for legitimacy.
    Joaquin Phoenix and his "rap-venture" immediately come to mind. Great actor...poor performa ...[text shortened]... lified as Triangle player in my High School's Marching Band had I exerted an extreme effort. πŸ˜‰
    At least you tried! Wonder why D was ousted?
  9. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 07:16
    “...the desire to create and see art has been lost”

WHAT C**P!!

This is more a depressing reflection of the person who said it.

From the dawn of time mankind has felt the urge to express himself, either by drawing prehistoric images in caves or banging two bones together to create a rhythm. In my experience, this urge is as present today as ever. So long as there is pain, love, heartbreak, anger, peace etc. there will be a need to experience the catharsis both of creating a personal expression of that through art, music, sculpture, poetry and also a need to empathise with someone else’s experience.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 20:546 edits
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    “...the desire to create and see art has been lost”

WHAT C**P!!

This is more a depressing reflection of the person who said it.

From the dawn of time mankind has felt the urge to express himself, either by drawing prehistoric images in caves or banging two bones together to create a rhythm. In my experience, this urge is as present today as ever. ...[text shortened]... rough art, music, sculpture, poetry and also a need to empathise with someone else’s experience.
    Yep, I thought years ago, my artistic field, folk music, was going to die out because of the over-riding influence of media on music, where now it is just plug in the app to create new one hit wonders and that would be the end of folk music but I can see now I was quite mistaken. Folk music never left, it is just as vibrant as it was 100 years ago but without all the hooplaw of the 60's, where only a couple thousand attend a fest unlike say, Woodstock but those fests go on every year and are just as popular as they have always been. It seems there is a human need to create and that is the bottom line in spite of the ridiculous state of at least music in the world scene. There is a series on tv about a European rock bass player, Norwegian I think, who goes around the world showing music in a lot of different cultures, gypsy music, flamenco, Polish folk musicians, Ukranian folk artists, US folk artists, all going on in spite of modern media polluting the world of real music. Found the link: Sami Yaffa, rock bass player (net worth 16 million dollars, so he has a LOT of success in his world of rock) and his show 'Sound Tracker'

https://www.linktv.org/shows/sound-tracker/episodes/japan

This is one of the episodes picked at random, this time Japan.

This is on Link TV, channel 9410 on Dish, Direct TV, chan 375

Sound tracker is on Fridays at 9 AM.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 03:17
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Do you listen to the radio, or stream music from the internet?

Because music is art.
    Music is lazy art.

Sit on one's couch, in your home, alone, with a volume remote control in your hand....Music is delivered to you and while still good, it is spoon fed in most cases.

Whereas, real Art, one must go out and obtain, immerse ones' self in it.

Music is Art for lazy people.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 04:12
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Music is lazy art.

Sit on one's couch, in your home, alone, with a volume remote control in your hand....Music is delivered to you and while still good, it is spoon fed in most cases.

Ah, so sitting on a couch looking at the Mona Lisa is NOT lazy. Got it.
    So the musicians are lazy too? The artists are lazy?

What a cynical outlook. Not that many people have what it takes to be an artist, whatever field they are in so it is a minority profession.

So I guess for you, an audience is a bunch of freeloader parasites. Pretty cynical.
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 10:40
    I think I understand what Uzless has attempted to say. But, I could be wrong.

A more beneficial way of patronizing the Arts is to support them through active public engagement. (Or, in other words, by spending money.)
  14. SubscriberPianoman1online
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Music is lazy art.

This is as nonsensical as it is stupid.
    The act of creating music takes rather more effort than sitting “on one’s couch,in your home, alone, with a volume remote control in your hand”. Not sure where the remote conrol comes in -perhaps it’s better left to the imagination.
    Unless you happen to be a Mozart, composing music is an emotional roller coaster, a struggle with a huge palette of timbres and and forms and intellectual ideas. Rather more complex than just being “spoon fed”.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 01:53
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    This is as nonsensical as it is stupid.
    The act of creating music takes rather more effort than sitting “on one’s couch,in your home, alone, with a volume remote control in your hand”. Not sure where the remote conrol comes in -perhaps it’s better left to the imagination.
    Unless you happen to be a Mozart, composing music is an emotional roller coaster, ...[text shortened]... f timbres and and forms and intellectual ideas. Rather more complex than just being “spoon fed”.
    sad sigh....sad sigh again.

I responded to suzianne who was asking about listening to music on the radio vs streaming and she claimed that is a way to enjoy music as an Art.

Pay attention to the details. Life will make much more sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree