Attachment to things

Standard memberRemoved
Culture 16 Dec '17 22:36
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 22:36
    At what point is it OK to get attached to things? Do we stop when they start to define us? Are we then a product of our environment instead of what we falsely believe to be the converse?
  2. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '17 17:34
    If the attachment is because the thing is useful to us, it's a good attachment. If the attachment is because the thing expresses something for us, it can be bad. I'm attached to my very reliable Honda Civic. If I was attached to a 12-cylinder Cadillac, it would probably be for reasons beyond reliability. I drive the Civic, but the Caddy would probably drive me.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 10:53
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    At what point is it OK to get attached to things? Do we stop when they start to define us? Are we then a product of our environment instead of what we falsely believe to be the converse?
    It's OK to get attached to things as long as we know when to let them go. Things wear out, things break, things become obsolete.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Jan '18 17:05
    It depends a lot on the thing. Getting attached to a leech is good for the leech, but bad for you.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Feb '18 10:15
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It depends a lot on the thing. Getting attached to a leech is good for the leech, but bad for you.
    Unless, of course, one has poor circulation in an injured extremity: Leech attachment is symbiotic then.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 19:35
    Originally posted by @mchill
    It's OK to get attached to things as long as we know when to let them go. Things wear out, things break, things become obsolete.
    Everything breaks down. Everything becomes obsolete. It is like our attachments are the only thing holding this world together.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree