1. .
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 09:052 edits
    My review:

~ Dances with wolves meets the smurfs.
    ~ Acting was ordinary.
    ~ Script was infantile.
    ~ Story was lame.
    ~ Dialogue was forgettable, except for 'unobtanium', which contrary to its name could actually be obtained.
    ~ Highly developed prehensile tails that are not used by the natives is not believable.
    ~ Seasoned hardened career military veteran turning coat for the natives is implausible.
    ~ Stereotypical portrayal of the bad guy is laughable - a scar on the face to visually remind us should we forget who the bad guy is! (as believable as all Asians wielding meat cleavers out the back of Asian restaurants)
    ~ Chase and adventure scenes presented perfectly for migration to other platforms like X-Box / Playstation / Nintendo / highest bidder.
    ~ Typo in the movie name - they left off the trailing 'd'.
    ~ Other than that it was a bit of colourful eye candy that is best forgotten.
    ~ I haven't touched on the low gravity environment or the spear-wielding hordes vs mechanised military.....I'm sure there are others.......

The script writer / director / casting director / et al. need to get out and see more of the world beyond the Hollywood hills.

No offence intended to the OP and your review. I've seen too many good movies to enjoy this one.

0/10 from me.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 09:271 edit
    Oh dear, another trying too hard to be a cinephile. And failing.
  3. .
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 09:386 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Oh dear, another trying too hard to be a cinephile. And failing.
    Lol. Coming from someone who enjoyed Avatard! Enough said........it's a movie for prepubescent boys.

Avatard is almost as exciting as Indochine. [/sarcasm]

Rather than play the man let's see your review. You are the self-appointed expert in this thread. Enlighten us with your analysis. Clearly parts of my post were tongue in cheek (which seems to have eluded a dullard such as yourself) but I stand by my assertion the movie was complete and utter garbage, as others have also indicated in this thread. I stated some of the more obvious failings of the movie but you're the expert so let's have it. Which aspects of the movie did you enjoy? You said you enjoyed it in a previous post. Knock yourself out! We have differing opinions of the movie but I'd like to see which aspects you enjoyed. The acting? The action? The graphics? The stereotypes? The plot?

P.S. Have you seen 'dances with wolves'? Do you know what was being referred to in my post?
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 03:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I saw it ..shortened... named "unobtainium".
    Yes, that they could have come up with a better name than that! 🙂
  5. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 03:541 edit
    Originally posted by andrew93
    My review:shortened.... I've seen too many good movies to enjoy this one.

0/10 from me.
    Come to think of it, "Everyone's top 10 movies of all time"....would be a good new thread to start....
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 15:532 edits
    Lol. Coming from someone who enjoyed Avatard! Enough said........it's a movie for prepubescent boys.

Avatard is almost as exciting as Indochine. [/sarcasm]

Rather than play the man let's see your review. You are the self-appointed expert in this thread. Enlighten us with your analysis. Clearly parts of my post were tongue in cheek (which seems to Have you seen 'dances with wolves'? Do you know what was being referred to in my post?
    Like I said, trying too hard. Anyone who gets that emotionally involved about Avatar (or any film that is not a masterpiece) clearly has an axe to grind that goes way beyond the film. In this case, it seems to be the pretense of erudition.

I love it how people mention Dances with Wolves, as if it was a completely new archetype when it came out. It's so delightfully ironic.

Andrew93... Are you 18? That could explain your desperate need to distinguish yourself from "prepubescent boys". If not, then you really have no excuse. Edit - Ok, saw your profile. No excuse it is, then.
  7. .
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 07:343 edits
    Like I said, you are incapable of formulating a coherent debate by sticking to the facts and instead you "play the man". You mis-state my position and then argue against that. Never heard of the straw man argument have you? You cannot express what you like about the movie but instead rely on lobbing anonymous barbs over the internet. This is pathetic and laughable. But hey you are the self-appointed movie expert - knock yourself out spanky. We are still waiting for your review - or are you the sort of person that is only capable of criticising others? Now you have dug yourself into a hole, what are you going to do? Lob more barbs anonymously? Fail to provide a review?....again....

You think my review was "emotional", "trying too hard" and having "an axe to grind" (your words). That is too funny! Seriously mate, I recommend you don't ever take up any sort of career in psychology or assessing people, or any sort of position of authority! Woe betide anyone who has a differing opinion to yours, or relies on your professional opinion.

[Chuckles to self at hearing Avatar described as a "Masterpiece"]
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 09:451 edit
    Like I said, you are incapable of formulating a coherent debate by sticking to the facts and instead you "play the man". You mis-state my position and then argue against that. Never heard of the straw man argument have you? You cannot express what you like about the movie but instead rely on lobbing anonymous barbs over the internet. This is pathetic an ssional opinion.

Oh dear. I described Avatar as a masterpiece? If you can't even read, how are we going to have a conversation in an online forum?

Misstate your position? Please, feel free to argue where I cared about your position. All I said was that you mentioned Dances with Wolves (which you did). And your clear emotional involvement (which is evident, by language, punctuation, etc). So the idea that I'm somehow construing a straw man argument is laughable.

As for a review of Avatar, I already said it was an enjoyable action popcorn movie. If only for the technical breakthrough alone it deserves a decent rating. It has been discussed here before, feel free to look back if you actually care (which I doubt).
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 13:221 edit
    Like I said, you are incapable of formulating a coherent debate by sticking to the facts and instead you "play the man". You mis-state my position and then argue against that. Never heard of the straw man argument have you? You cannot express what you like about the movie but instead rely on lobbing anonymous barbs over the internet. This is pathetic an ssional opinion.

Seriously mate, it was a crap movie.

Palynka has given a more than fair review,imo. He has also shown you patience and given you a very fair response.

It is silly to get caught up in fave movies (or music). If someone disagrees with your view, just say so once.There is no reason (or sense) in getting personal about this sort of stuff.
  10. .
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 13:241 edit
    Great review. You should submit that somewhere sometime. The fact you can't see parts of what I wrote were tongue in cheek, even after I said that in a previous post, and you continue with your psycho-babble (based on punctuation??!!??), suggests you may want to do something sometime with the what-you-m'call-it to fix that something-or-other up sooner, or maybe later. Don't really care. Keep working on the psychoanalysis, you need plenty more practice.

Come on - my review was so bad, and purposefully so, there wasn't a single element I didn't pick on in some sort of way. I purposely abridged some parts that I didn't really have an opinion on, which is more revealing of my emotional attachment (i.e. a complete lack thereof) to the movie. And you think I was trying really hard to be erudite? But I always walk like this! Sure I expected a bit of a ribbing but to be taken so seriously and to get a free e-assessment was a tad over the top. Truth be told I couldn't watch the whole movie in one sitting - I genuinely found it boring. Sure the eye candy was ok in parts, but IMO that's about it. Different horses for different courses.

Re-reading the thread on page 2 I can see both of us have interpreted statements in a manner that wasn't intended (e.g. where did I state dances with wolves was "a completely new archetype when it came out", but where did you state that I said that, and so on and so on and so on), so on that note.......don't you love it when people over-react to words like "Avatard"? You wonder if it cuts a bit close to the bone for some people given it sounds a bit like retard. It makes you wonder if there is a genetic deficiency that runs in the family. And then when others throw words around ending in "file" - doesn't it make you wonder what sort of "file" they are? I'm just saying.....

Looking forward to your next post, I shall waste no time in reading it.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 13:33
    Great review. You should submit that somewhere sometime. The fact you can't see parts of what I wrote were tongue in cheek, even after I said that in a previous post, and you continue with your psycho-babble (based on punctuation??!!??), suggests you may want to do something sometime with the what-you-m'call-it to fix that something-or-other up sooner, or ...[text shortened]... .

Looking forward to your next post, I shall waste no time in reading it.
    Seriously, get a grip.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 13:57
    Originally posted by JS357
    I first heard the word "unobtainium" used with its obvious meaning, by a fellow who worked at the UC Berkely RAD Lab. This was in the '80s.
    'Knobtanium' is going for the asking.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 14:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Seriously, get a grip.
    He's determined to make it personal.

He could be a good poster on the Spirtuality forum 😛
  14. .
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 03:203 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    He's determined to make it personal.

He could be a good poster on the Spirtuality forum 😛
    Which part of my last post was personal? If you think that was personal then you have misinterpreted the post. I complimented the review and offered encouragement, I gave insight into the original post that gave rise to this string of posts, acknowledged not everyone has the same taste and then wrote about misinterpretation. It would be ironic if my comments about misinterpretation were themselves misinterpreted. I then used part of a quote by Benjamin Disraeli that could be interpreted in more than one way. The point of which is that I suspect some of the posts in this thread have been at cross-purposes given misinterpretation of intent and meaning - an all to familiar situation on the internet.

I'm curious - in what capacity could I be a good poster in the spirituality forum?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 04:03
    Which part of my last post was personal? If you think that was personal then you have misinterpreted the post. I complimented the review and offered encouragement, I gave insight into the original post that gave rise to this string of posts, acknowledged not everyone has the same taste and then wrote about misinterpretation. It would be ironic if my comme ...[text shortened]... internet.

I'm curious - in what capacity could I be a good poster in the spirituality forum?
    Ok. I retract "personal" and replace it with passionate-just what you need on the Spirituality forum, although there may be some real reasons you may not want to post there, which I totally understand.
    Yes, it was a very passionate retort to Palynka, a bit too passionate for Avatar, but hey, that may not be a bad thing,right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree