1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 09:47
    Cameron's sole purpose is to make a truckload of dollars.

You guys are quite flattering the guy by discussing something
    that is simply not there. Too much credit, too much,
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 09:53
    Originally posted by Seitse

Shut up. Now we're going to open a thread about the
    nihilistic anarcho-primitivism in Britney Spears' lyrics.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 10:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    There is no message in Rocky.
    Absolutely incorrect. Rocky is all about the triumph of the poor man against the odds. American Dream wish fulfilment. Keeps the masses quiet. They cheer and have a beer and go to work next day. But despite having a message, it's not propaganda, in my opinion.

I'd consider Avatar propaganda if it behaved like other propaganda: boosting the Home Team, demonising the Other, etc. (Chuck Norris films, I think, could be considered propaganda). But despite it's obvious failings, Avatar is a little more sophisticated than that: it problematises the situation rather than providing a simplistic, one-sided narrative. (The general's speech within Avatar is a good example of propaganda style: 'those gooks are out to get us, we need to get them first'😉.

You seem to think that any film that seeks to get people to 'talk about issues' is propaganda; I disagree.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 10:15
    Shut up. Now we're going to open a thread about the
    nihilistic anarcho-primitivism in Britney Spears' lyrics.
    The provocative absence of content?

What about the retro agit prop stylings of Lady Gaga?
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The provocative absence of content?
    Hey, it is intentional (so are her breasts). It makes
    a strong statement, allegorically condemning the absence
    of content in mainstream Western media and arts.

It's communist propaganda! Britney is Stalin in disguise!
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 00:451 edit
    Absolutely incorrect. Rocky is all about the triumph of the poor man against the odds. American Dream wish fulfilment. Keeps the masses quiet. They cheer and have a beer and go to work next day. But despite having a message, it's not propaganda, in my opinion.

I'd consider Avatar propaganda if it behaved like other propaganda: boosting the Home Team that any film that seeks to get people to 'talk about issues' is propaganda; I disagree.
    How did the creators hope to "keep the masses quiet" with the movie? How do you know this? Is there an interview I can watch where the creators of Rocky talk about how they created the movie to keep the masses quiet?

Cameron talks openly about how he was using the movie to get environmentally friendly results from the audience. I provided the address already.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 00:491 edit
    Researching, brb
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 01:082 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was referring to the two nouns 'propaganda' and 'posters'. You can't use 'blue' as an adjective and then claim it replaces 'posters'. Not only this, but your example would have to read 'cars blue' to fit the original post, which clearly doesn't make sense.

And why is it that you continue to post links to sites that contain the word propaganda as if t ds the propaganda definition, of which I've already mentioned I have no concern.
    I never claimed blue replaced posters. What are you talking about?

It is extremely common to use the word propaganda as an adjective - I'm only finding out now no dictionary lists it as such. However I am also finding that it's a common rule in English to use nouns as adjectives e.g. coal mine.

I was using the word as an adjective. You misunderstood.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 01:11

That's not what he said in the interview I attached, and that's not the only result he got.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 01:12
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was referring to the two nouns 'propaganda' and 'posters'. You can't use 'blue' as an adjective and then claim it replaces 'posters'. Not only this, but your example would have to read 'cars blue' to fit the original post, which clearly doesn't make sense.

And why is it that you continue to post links to sites that contain the word propaganda as if t ...[text shortened]... ds the propaganda definition, of which I've already mentioned I have no concern.
    I was giving example after example of how the word was used as an adjective similarly to how I used it.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 01:161 edit

I'd consider Avatar propaganda if it behaved like other propaganda: boosting the Home Team that any film that seeks to get people to 'talk about issues' is propaganda; I disagree.
    Cameron's Home Team are the environmentalists and other lefties, not the mining companies and marines. It is a simplistic one sided narrative. It was created to be that way. As Cameron says, the noble savage does not exist, but he put it in his movie anyway intentionally to get the public to focus on environmentalism.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 11:08
    Cameron's Home Team are the environmentalists and other lefties, not the mining companies and marines. It is a simplistic one sided narrative. It was created to be that way. As Cameron says, the noble savage does not exist, but he put it in his movie anyway intentionally to get the public to focus on environmentalism.
    I take it you concede that Rocky is propaganda (by your definition) as well as all films intended to affect an audience emotionally or intellectually. Then there's Starship Troopers and The Matrix ...

It's a mistake to assume all environmentalists are 'lefties'. Some of them are as conservative as you can get. In fact radical environmentalism may be the ultimate form of conservatism.

What specific environmental agenda is Avatar pushing? It seems to invoke some sort of vague panenvironmentalist spirituality, but that's about it. There's no realistic solution to the problem (eg. 'kill the capitalists'😉 so it can hardly mobilise people. The film is a fantasy, an opiate.

However, it is at least not entirely simplistic and one-sided as it does not portray all Americans as bad, and it doesn't portray all the savages as good. Perhaps it is unidimensional in that all the characters are [/i]flat[/i], but that's a question of creativity, not propaganda (by my definition).

Anyway, this could go round and round forever. I understand your viewpoint, even though I disagree with it; I hope you understand mine ...
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 11:28
    How did the creators hope to "keep the masses quiet" with the movie? How do you know this? Is there an interview I can watch where the creators of Rocky talk about how they created the movie to keep the masses quiet?

Cameron talks openly about how he was using the movie to get environmentally friendly results from the audience. I provided the address already.
    Didn't see this comment; sorry.

It's a function of mass entertainment to keep the masses quiet. Bread and circuses, you know. Think about the 'feel good' product: you watch some mindless entertainment; you 'feel good'; any propensity you might have toward challenging the status quo is neutralised.

Unless the 'environmentally friendly results' are channeled toward some specific political outcome, they are meaningless. A blue Ben Stiller with braids doesn't quite cut it. Greenpeace films are propaganda; 'An Inconvenient Truth' was propaganda; 'Avatar'? About as politically effective as 'Dances With Wolves'.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree