1. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 03:00
    Yes, the plot was as predictable as a sunrise...

...but I think the movie was still worth the ticket price just for the visual effects.

If you have the opportunity to see it in 3-D, don't wait for it to come out on DVD.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 06:19
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Okay, so I went to see this in 3D the other day. I've never seen a film in 3D before and I have to say that it really does enhance the experience of the film. However, the film itself is utter balls.

Imagine Dances with Wolves, on an alien planet, with blue creatures and re-written by a 12yr old.

Need I say more?

Okay, I will: Cameron should be a ...[text shortened]... is devoid of any real point, depth or interest.

Visually astounding, cerebrally puerile.
    You sound surprised. I could have told you all that and I never even saw it. It's a movie blatantly aimed at immature, radical left wing MMORPGers who live in Mom's basement and hate The Man.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 17:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You sound surprised. I could have told you all that and I never even saw it. It's a movie blatantly aimed at immature, radical left wing MMORPGers who live in Mom's basement and hate The Man.
    What has radical left-wing got to do with anything?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Dec '09 21:211 edit
    What has radical left-wing got to do with anything?
    It's about imperialists imperializing the indiginous people.

Avatar is centered around the themes of imperialism and biodiversity...

The film also contains implicit criticism of America's conduct in the War on Terror and the impersonal nature of mechanized warfare in general, as acknowledged by Cameron.[48] Although Cameron had said this was not the main point of Avatar, he did add that Americans had a "moral responsibility" to understand the impact of their country's recent military campaigns and those killed during them..

Armond White of the New York Press disliked the film's critique of American militarism and industrialism,[110] while The Christian Post lamented that "the American military was pure evil while the Pandoran tribespeople were nature-loving, eco-harmonious, wise Braveheart smurf warriors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)#Na.27vi

It's leftist propaganda, but that's ok. They're not hiding it.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 00:46
    And Cameron thought the best way to get people to realise this responsibility was to spend billions of dollars on a personal cgi party... go figure.
  6. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 02:56
    I took my 11 year old daughter to see the 3D version. She was Amazed, frightened, entertained, stunned and visually overloaded by Avatar. She thought the film was fantastic. She now wants me to take her to the 2D version. She wants me to buy the DVD when it is realeased. I think Mr. Cameron has struck Gold in them Thar Hills. 🙂
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 10:29
    Originally posted by murphius
    I took my 11 year old daughter to see the 3D version. She was Amazed, frightened, entertained, stunned and visually overloaded by Avatar. She thought the film was fantastic. She now wants me to take her to the 2D version. She wants me to buy the DVD when it is realeased. I think Mr. Cameron has struck Gold in them Thar Hills. 🙂
    My 13 year old daughters verdict: "Terrible"
  8. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 04:15
    Two of my three brothers walked out on it halfway through. The other one and I loved it (and the story wasn't anything special).
  9. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 15:351 edit
    Okay, so I went to see this in 3D the other day. I've never seen a film in 3D before and I have to say that it really does enhance the experience of the film. However, the film itself is utter balls.

Imagine Dances with Wolves, on an alien planet, with blue creatures and re-written by a 12yr old.

Need I say more?

Okay, I will: Cameron should be a is devoid of any real point, depth or interest.

Visually astounding, cerebrally puerile.
    I agree on your assessment of Cameron and the visuals. This film was very exciting for visual effects. I loved seeing ashes fall and glowy leaves dangling in front of my face. The avatars were beautiful. Yeah, the story was simple and the parallel drawn there on military brutality/corporate greed were unimaginative. What I like about that, however, is that the concept is easily understood by kids and inspires compassion. While we adults knew what the ending would likely be, for younger children, they could watch it unfold and hope that the ending would be a righteous one.

Rockin' good movie - target audience, right on.

It was F-U-N. 😛
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It's about imperialists imperializing the indiginous people.

Avatar is centered around the themes of imperialism and biodiversity...

The film also contains implicit criticism of America's conduct in the War on Terror and the impersonal nature of mechanized warfare in general, as acknowledged by Cameron.[48] Although Cameron had said this was ilm)#Na.27vi

It's leftist propaganda, but that's ok. They're not hiding it.
    It would have been fun if there were two or more of these "eco-harmonious" tribes - where each believed that their god commanded them to destroy and-or enslave the other.

In addition to being a more realistic portrayal of indigenous people, think of all the possibilities for even more awesome visual effects.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 13:401 edit
    I was surprised at how much I liked it.

The use of 3-D was great. Blended with the story and ever present, instead of "Ohh, look at the 3D" and using every excuse possible to show off. The character development is focused on emotionally connecting with the characters, so it doesn't go much deeper than that but it isn't disregarded. And the morality in the story is simple but told through the story without big moralizing speeches.

In short, it's the best space opera I've seen for a long time (since the first two Star Wars) and for almost 3 hours I was immersed convincingly in this new world.

Sure, it's simple and not really thought-provoking, but I don't think a good movie needs to be necessarily deep. This one may not about the art of film, but I think it did push entertainment to the next level.
  12. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    29 Dec '09 14:522 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    My 13 year old daughters verdict: "Terrible"
    I agree completely .

I look forward to Avatar II, however, in which the humans return and bomb the entire planet from orbit. It should take about 15 seconds and just show a mushroom cloud. 😉

EDIT: Spoiler alert.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 01:47
    Such mixed reviews from a good mix of people here. Some work collegues of mine saw it at the London IMAX and seemed to like it. Seems that to enjoy the movie you need:

3D
    Lowish expectations on the plot
    An open mind in terms of what constitutes "cinema"
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 12:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Such mixed reviews from a good mix of people here. Some work collegues of mine saw it at the London IMAX and seemed to like it. Seems that to enjoy the movie you need:

3D
    Lowish expectations on the plot
    An open mind in terms of what constitutes "cinema"
    I'd go with that. As I mentioned in the OP, the technical prowess is amazing and if that's what constitutes a good film for you, then great! Personally I require a lot more in terms of story and script and a lot less in terms of visual powerhousing.
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Dec '09 12:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree