Ballard

Standard memberDrKF
Culture 19 Apr '09 21:17
  1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 21:17
    Bosse de Naga, at least, I am sure will join me in mourning the passing of one of the greatest late twentieth-century's authors...
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 21:18
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Bosse de Naga, at least, I am sure will join me in mourning the passing of one of the greatest late twentieth-century's authors...
    Who?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 21:38
    The future is over.
  4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 22:16
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Who?
    JG Ballard - title of the thread...
  5. At the Revolution
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 00:29
    JG Ballard - title of the thread...
    Wasn't sure what the first initials were. Thx tho.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 16:30
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8007390.stm
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 16:37
    Ballard is one of the authors on my list to read this Spring, along with Paul Auster.

Any recommendations for this newb?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 17:24
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ballard is one of the authors on my list to read this Spring, along with Paul Auster.

I think Vermilion Sands is a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_Sands
  9. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 19:07

For me, any of 'the drowned world', 'crash' or (my favourite of these first three) 'high rise', and any one of 'cocaine nights' or 'super-cannes'. Also, you should see what the fuss is about with 'crash' - have you seen the film? Finally, without a shadow of a doubt, 'the atrocity exhibition' is a must-read. (Then you can go for 'empire of the sun' - it is his most accessible book, but I don't think anyone should read it first.)

I don't know whether you bother with secondary literature, but Iain Sinclair's long essay/monograph on 'crash' Book and film) is an exceptional piece of work in its own right, and this website is really good as well:

http://www.ballardian.com/
  10. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 21:27
    He'll be missed, I really liked his style of peeling off the veneer of the everyday and exposing the weird and disturbing.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 04:45

It's hard to recommend a book for a person who scorned The Wild Boys.

Palynka's suggestion is a good one, although then you might as well go the whole hog and get the Complete Short Stories. (The stories comprising Myths of the Near Future are my favourites).

Some pooh-pooh it as light reading but for precisely that reason I'd recommend Hello America, one of Ballard's funniest books.

To be honest, I never recovered from The Atrocity Exhibition and I'd say do yourself an injury and go there first ...
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 04:51

I don't know whether you bother with secondary literature, but Iain Sinclair's long essay/monograph on 'crash' Book and film) is an exceptional piece of work in its own right, and this website is really good as well:

http://www.ballardian.com/
    The incredible Dr Sinclair and his Hackney Hand Puppets. I see that the Hackney book finally emerged earlier this year. I wonder.

There was a time when I was awash with Ballard. A gateway drug if ever there was one. From Moorcock to Ballard to M. John Harrison to ... ?

Which of his books do you find least successful? Millenium People probably did the least for me, although it may have been a calculated ploy to win over McEwan readers ...
  13. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    23 Apr '09 14:18
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The incredible Dr Sinclair and his Hackney Hand Puppets. I see that the Hackney book finally emerged earlier this year. I wonder.

There was a time when I was awash with Ballard. A gateway drug if ever there was one. From Moorcock to Ballard to M. John Harrison to ... ?

Which of his books do you find least successful? Millenium People probably did the least for me, although it may have been a calculated ploy to win over McEwan readers ...
    I'd have said 'Empire of the Sun', but then again I think if you come to it later on it maybe gives some insight in to the author. I've yet to read the last (semi-)autobiographical one, but imagine it will be more recognisably Ballardian - a phrase I was delighted to learn from the obituaries has actually made it in to the dictionary!

Have also yet to read the Sinclair Hackney book - maybe if I was still living in London I'd have made more of an effort...

I don't know exactly how to follow your line (Moorcock, Ballard, Harrison), but off at a bit of a tangent is Will Self, who no longer has to vie for the title of 'my favourite living British author' now Ballard is no longer with us...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree