2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    The 'radical' Barenboim piano unveiled
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32894499
    It would be interesting to hear them side by side. The demo shown here did not have much piano playing to compare anything. Not sure why making them all straight would make much difference. I guess there could be some phase difference between the strings of a Steinway due to the bass strings being at an angle like that but I would like to hear and play both to see if I can tell the difference. Of course I don't consider myself anywhere close to his league but I can hear what sounds better.

I also wonder how much this new piano costs. Steinway's are about 30K.

I would like to have my friend George Winston play one, he uses Steinway's exclusively in his concerts.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 01:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It would be interesting to hear them side by side. The demo shown here did not have much piano playing to compare anything. Not sure why making them all straight would make much difference. I guess there could be some phase difference between the strings of a Steinway due to the bass strings being at an angle like that but I would like to hear and play both ...[text shortened]... like to have my friend George Winston play one, he uses Steinway's exclusively in his concerts.
    I think the Barenboim piano sounds both warmer and brighter, as well as separating the notes better, assuming the recording conditions were identical. They probably were, I guess. But I've only got this clip to go on.

As there are only two of these pianos, I they must be hugely expensive. I actually have no feel for the numbers involved, other than they would obviously cost more than a Steinway. Anyone want to become an early adopter?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 02:46
    I think the Barenboim piano sounds both warmer and brighter, as well as separating the notes better, assuming the recording conditions were identical. They probably were, I guess. But I've only got this clip to go on.

As there are only two of these pianos, I they must be hugely expensive. I actually have no feel for the numbers involved, other than they would obviously cost more than a Steinway. Anyone want to become an early adopter?
    Is that sound you heard based on just that little bit of playing on the link?
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 09:29
    Is that sound you heard based on just that little bit of playing on the link?
    Yes.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 10:341 edit
    Yes.
    It clearly needs a more defined test than just a couple of notes played. I want to see some piece, doesn't have to be 30 minutes long, but enough to hear the difference, played on a Steinway and then the Beremboim. With no talking🙂

BTW, did you see my post on Oscar Levant?
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 13:28
    It clearly needs a more defined test than just a couple of notes played. I want to see some piece, doesn't have to be 30 minutes long, but enough to hear the difference, played on a Steinway and then the Beremboim. With no talking🙂

BTW, did you see my post on Oscar Levant?
    It will be wonderful to hear the new piano in action, side-by-side (as it were) with a traditional grand. I'll have to make a point of listening to some classical music radio stations rather more intensively for a while—I'm sure there'll be plenty of buzz.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 10:24
    It will be wonderful to hear the new piano in action, side-by-side (as it were) with a traditional grand. I'll have to make a point of listening to some classical music radio stations rather more intensively for a while—I'm sure there'll be plenty of buzz.
    My guess is the sound may be better but too subtle to detect on recordings but requiring one to be physically present.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 10:30
    My guess is the sound may be better but too subtle to detect on recordings but requiring one to be physically present.
    I still maintain there was a large difference in sound in the BBC clip. Possibly I used the wrong words to describe it (I'm not good at picking words for that kind of thing), but I can hear a striking difference between the two pianos.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jun '15 11:33
    I'm afraid my hearing has gotten so poor in my old age that I wouldn't detect the difference. Still, I believe that trained ears hear it.

PS Kind regards to GW. I have several of his albums but have not had the chance to hear him live.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '15 13:00
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I'm afraid my hearing has gotten so poor in my old age that I wouldn't detect the difference. Still, I believe that trained ears hear it.

PS Kind regards to GW. I have several of his albums but have not had the chance to hear him live.
    Ah, I just saw him play the Sands in Bethlehem Pa, near where I live, as usual he gives me a bunch of tickets🙂 We got pic's of him with my son Jonathan and his daughter, Chas, which compliments the picture we took of George when he visited our home when Jonathan and his brother was 4 years old🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree