1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 08:38
    Do you have any albums you are fond of that were generally commercially unsuccessful or - perhaps more interestingly - were either panned or ignored by the critics?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 08:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you have any albums you are fond of that were generally commercially unsuccessful or - perhaps more interestingly - were either panned or ignored by the critics?
    Three come to mind:

Jefferson Airplane's 1989 comeback and/or reunion entitled "Jefferson Airplane". I thought it was great. The critics thought it was somewhere between unnecessary and abyssmal although Rolling Stone gave it 2 stars out of 5.

Lloyd Cole & The Commotions' swansong "Mainstream" also released in 1989, according to wikipedia, peaked at #9 in the UK and was also certified Gold but this appears to have been on the back of the popularity of 1984's "Rattlesnakes" and 1985's "Easy Pieces". Critics seemed to think, in the end, that it was a ho hum affair. I thought it was way better than "Easy Pieces" and it meant more to me that "Rattlesnakes".

"Starclub" by a band of the same name was released in 1993 and has always been a favourite one off effort [rather like The Gray's "Ro Sham Bo"] and yet it seemed to go straight into the bargain baskets and the band were dropped by their record label for reasons I cannot fathom.

Oooh. Just had a thought. Did I start a thread almost exactly like this once before? Hope not. Anyway.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 09:12
    The Burning World by Swans. Sure, it's not their best record, but definitely a good one.

Coil's The Ape of Naples and Have a Nice Life's Deathconsciousness are some of the strongest masterpieces of the previous decade but still mostly unrecognized.

Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden is one of my favourite albums and was far ahead of its time, making post-rock before the term even existed.

Ulver has been moderately commercially successful but has otherwise been mostly ignored despite churning out several great records, such as Perdition City in 2000.

Then there are albums which are praised by critics and belong in every record collection of anyone remotely interested in music (yet somehow this does not appear to be the case) such as CAN's Tago Mago.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 12:10
    Also I'd have to name Secret Chiefs 3. Book M deserves its place in music history.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 12:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you have any albums you are fond of that were [...] either panned or ignored by the critics?
    I liked "Tin Machine II" and still do. Oh the loneliness...
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 16:38
    Planet P Project's track "In the Zone", don't know about the rest of the album (which was Pink World).

the fragment on this trackography doesn't include the refrain 🙁.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:w9foxq85ldfe~T31
  7. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 18:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Have a Nice Life's Deathconsciousness [is one of] of the strongest masterpieces of the previous decade but still mostly unrecognized.
    Spot on. I just heard about this (and got a copy) early this year, and have been hugely impressed: the number of influences and range of music they manage to squeeze in to what I believe was essentially just a long bedroom project of sorts is incredible. Shoegaze-tastic 🙂
  8. Germany
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 11:07
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Spot on. I just heard about this (and got a copy) early this year, and have been hugely impressed: the number of influences and range of music they manage to squeeze in to what I believe was essentially just a long bedroom project of sorts is incredible. Shoegaze-tastic 🙂
    Yeah, AMG does not even have a listing for them. I wonder when they'll wake up!
  9. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 18:411 edit
    Yeah, AMG does not even have a listing for them. I wonder when they'll wake up!
    Oooh! There's a new EP available to download at enemieslist!

Just below the blurb about deathconsciousness, if anyone wants more info/praise for the album.

http://enemieslist.net/kvlt/artists/have-a-nice-life/

EDIT: for the record, it's good stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect - doom, doom, heavy bass, doom - but if you liked deathconsciousness you'll like it fine.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 12:00
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Oooh! There's a new EP available to download at enemieslist!

Just below the blurb about deathconsciousness, if anyone wants more info/praise for the album.

http://enemieslist.net/kvlt/artists/have-a-nice-life/

EDIT: for the record, it's good stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect - doom, doom, heavy bass, doom - but if you liked deathconsciousness you'll like it fine.
    Yeah, I've heard it. Decent stuff, but not at the level of the full-length debut.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 16:00
    Harlan T. Bobo's 'Too Much Love' ...
  12. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 16:43
    Also I'd have to name Secret Chiefs 3. Book M deserves its place in music history.
    I caught these guys and they put on one hell of a show a couple years back. The coordination they have in their instrument variety is intense. Of course, the drugs enhanced the scene
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 18:02
    Originally posted by ua41
    I caught these guys and they put on one hell of a show a couple years back. The coordination they have in their instrument variety is intense. Of course, the drugs enhanced the scene
    I'm really hoping for a Bungle reunion in the near future but it doesn't appear to be forthcoming. It's a shame Spruance and Patton won't settle their differences for the good of their fans everywhere. Alas, maybe it is for the best.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 19:32
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'm really hoping for a Bungle reunion in the near future but it doesn't appear to be forthcoming. It's a shame Spruance and Patton won't settle their differences for the good of their fans everywhere. Alas, maybe it is for the best.
    D'Arc Tangent, Issue #1.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 20:05
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    D'Arc Tangent, Issue #1.
    Eh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree