Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 01 Mar '09 16:30
    Sgt.pepper's lonely hearts club band, Who's next, and Are you experienced?
  2. Donation buckky
    Filthy sinner
    01 Mar '09 16:40
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Sgt.pepper's lonely hearts club band, Who's next, and Are you experienced?
    Nothing comes close to Sgt Peppers. Another album that I found flawless was the first Marc Cohn CD. Yellow Moon by the Nevil Brothers was another great CD. Sgt Peppers is the one that stands above all others. Pure magic !
  3. Standard member ChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    01 Mar '09 16:57
    Originally posted by buckky
    Nothing comes close to Sgt Peppers. Another album that I found flawless was the first Marc Cohn CD. Yellow Moon by the Nevil Brothers was another great CD. Sgt Peppers is the one that stands above all others. Pure magic !
    Other excellent "Moon" modifiers are "Pink" and "Marquee", by Nick Drake and Television, respectively.

    I like Sgt. Pepper's fine, but the [i]best album ever[i]?
  4. 01 Mar '09 17:00
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
  5. Donation buckky
    Filthy sinner
    01 Mar '09 17:10
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
    My favorite jazz album ever !
  6. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    01 Mar '09 18:35
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Sgt.pepper's lonely hearts club band, Who's next, and Are you experienced?
    1) The Joshua Tree - U2

    2) 4 - Led Zeppelin

    3) Wish Were Here - Pink Floyd
  7. 01 Mar '09 19:56
    Radiohead OK computer, if you like alternative music.

    Though Alan Partridge puts forward a compelling case for "Best of the Beatles".
  8. 01 Mar '09 20:28
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Other excellent "Moon" modifiers are "Pink" and "Marquee", by Nick Drake and Television, respectively.

    I like Sgt. Pepper's fine, but the [i]best album ever[i]?
    I like Sgt. Pepper's fine, but the [i]best album ever[i]?

    I think we have to admit that it was well ahead of its time, the innovation, and the experimentation makes this album stand out, without mentioning that songs like A day in the life, Lovely rita, and Lucy in the sky with diamonds, were masterpieces.
  9. Standard member StTito
    The Mullverine
    01 Mar '09 20:51
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]I like Sgt. Pepper's fine, but the [i]best album ever[i]?

    I think we have to admit that it was well ahead of its time, the innovation, and the experimentation makes this album stand out, without mentioning that songs like A day in the life, Lovely rita, and Lucy in the sky with diamonds, were masterpieces.[/b]
    I think 'Abby Road' is the best Beatles album, its parts work better for the whole. 'Love Supreme is hard for me to compare against 'Kind of Blue', they are both at the top of there game. But for the best ROCK album in the last 25 years, you gotta give 'Appetite For Destruction' the prize. GnR sucked after but that album was gold.
  10. 01 Mar '09 21:00
    Originally posted by StTito
    I think 'Abby Road' is the best Beatles album, its parts work better for the whole. 'Love Supreme is hard for me to compare against 'Kind of Blue', they are both at the top of there game. But for the best ROCK album in the last 25 years, you gotta give 'Appetite For Destruction' the prize. GnR sucked after but that album was gold.[/i]
    really guy sort out your italics
  11. 01 Mar '09 21:02
    st. pepper is a good choice however for me personally it has to be jeff buckley and 'grace' as the best album.
  12. Standard member StTito
    The Mullverine
    01 Mar '09 21:04
    Originally posted by trev33
    really guy sort out your italics
    oh details
  13. 01 Mar '09 21:13
    Originally posted by StTito
    oh details
  14. 01 Mar '09 21:41 / 2 edits
    I'm going to go with something really radical: Morton Feldman's "String Quartet (II)" by the Ives Ensemble.

    It's a single movement that clocks in at around 5 hours.

    From the New York Times review:
    "There is no syntax in his music; there are no transitions, no connective tissue and certainly none of the contrapuntal rhetoric one associates with string quartet writing. Instead there are pairs of chords that recur over and over; four-note repeating melodies in pizzicato; breathy tone clusters; D sharp leading to C sharp again and again; and about every 15 minutes, an arch-shaped theme that keeps coming back like the eternal unanswered question...No music had ever before sounded like Feldman's, and even within his output, no other piece ever sounded like this. "

    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02E0DE1F3CF934A25751C0A9649C8B63
  15. 01 Mar '09 21:53
    I guess Exile on Main St. is also another great album.