Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 03 Oct '08 03:44
    the blues brothers were really good
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Oct '08 03:54
    Originally posted by jacko11
    the blues brothers were really good
    I assume you are talking about post WWII electric blues because in the acoustic era there were some real geniuses at it, Robert Johnson comes to mind, Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Rev. Gary Davis and the modern day practitioners like Keb Mo and Rory Block and Ben Harper, people like that continue the tradition.
  3. 03 Oct '08 05:10
    yes sorry i was getting confused
  4. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    03 Oct '08 07:54 / 1 edit
    I'm a big fan of Muddy Waters.
  5. 03 Oct '08 08:17
    oh yea i know them their good. what about blind boy fuller
  6. 03 Oct '08 09:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I assume you are talking about post WWII electric blues because in the acoustic era there were some real geniuses at it, Robert Johnson comes to mind, Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Rev. Gary Davis and the modern day practitioners like Keb Mo and Rory Block and Ben Harper, people like that continue the tradition.
    I've never really got into the delta blues stuff. I don't really know why. I much prefer the 60's R&B stuff, like...Cream and Rory Gallagher. I probably should try buying some CD's of such music - goodness knows it's cheaper!

    I also quite like pre-war jazz/blues stuff, like Nina and Ella. For that, however, I can confidently (and rightly) blame my wife!
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Oct '08 10:33
    Originally posted by jacko11
    oh yea i know them their good. what about blind boy fuller
    Blind boy Fuller was one of the best. Rory Block does some of his songs, Casey Jones, Pt. 1 and Pt 2 on the original and she does one long one, 'Ain't Gonna do like Cheney did' I thought was an interesting line considering our present government!
  8. 03 Oct '08 10:37
    AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
  9. 03 Oct '08 13:32
    Originally posted by jacko11
    AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
    Stop pretending you know stuff about music. You don't and I know you better than most.
  10. 03 Oct '08 13:38
    i know more about music than you do.😠
  11. 03 Oct '08 16:07
    Freddy King is one of my favorites. If you play guitar, then you had better learn "Hide Away."
  12. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Oct '08 23:48
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Freddy King is one of my favorites. If you play guitar, then you had better learn "Hide Away."
    as far as post WWII blues goes, I really liked Duane Allman. The cut where he plays beside Eric on Layla is a classic classic cut. It showed Duane outplaying Eric I thought and I think it showed Eric at his peak.
  13. Subscriber gregsflat
    William Penn's gaze
    10 Oct '08 15:09
    Sonhouse,
    check out the Blues show, every Saturday night on WXPN; with Johnny Meister, it's the University of Penn station. I'm sure there's an affiliate near Slattington.
    Greg
  14. 10 Oct '08 15:13 / 1 edit
    Jimmy Reed is one of my favorites for "electric" blues.

    Country blues fav's of mine have already been mentioned:

    Robert Johnson
    Mississippi John Hurt
    Rory Block
    Keb Mo

    Did anyone mention Rev. Gary Davis?