1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    [b]Clapton WAS a great guitarist but faded into mediocrity

Saw him at the Albert Hall a year or so ago and was dissapointed beyond belief. No passion.

Page was never a great guitarist

Sorry robbie but that is utter twatter 😠[/b]
    its a personal opinion my friend, nothing more, if you think he was/is a great guitarist then he is, although technically he was excellent, there is no question...., i dunno, in retrospect maybe you are correct, its just...listen to the tone on some of his solos, he says with many notes what Clapton and even Beck can say in a few, although i think its primarily his acoustic work that make him great, yes you are correct, he is/was a great guitarist.

two of the most inspired solos of all time, in my opinion and which have brought endless enjoyment to me, Eric Claptons solo on the original White room, its a piece of utter genius and Hendrix solo on Stone free, Rainy day dream away and particularly Band of Gypsys, changes and the track nineteen eighty three a merman i should be!

oh man there are so many good tracks in the world!

YouTube&feature=related
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 13:16
    its a personal opinion my friend, nothing more, if you think he was/is a great guitarist then he is, although technically he was excellent, there is no question...., i dunno, in retrospect maybe you are correct, its just...listen to the tone on some of his solos, he says with many notes what Clapton and even Beck can say in a few, although i think it ...[text shortened]... so many good tracks in the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4NPzK0JIM&feature=related
    Don't leave out the acoustic guys either! You have great ones all over the place there. Check out Preston Reid, for instance, here is his myspace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=71884658
    You can find him on youtube also. Then there is Martin Simpson, Rory Block, Al Petteway, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Stephan Grossman, Bob Brozman, George Winston plays great piano (he is a personal friend) but is also a great guitarist. And lets not leave out the old blues dudes, like Robert Johnson, Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt, Brownie McGee, Jesse Fuller, Son House, Skip James, John Jackson, Archie Edwards, Libba Cotton, Etta Baker.
    Then there is Bert Jansch, John Renbourne, Davey Graham, Archie Fisher, Mick Maloney, Martin Carthy.
    And we can't leave out the classic guitarists! Like, oh, maybe ANDRE!
    or John Williams, Julian Bream, Christopher Parkening, Sui Fey, Ida Presti, Alexandria Lagoya, a husband and wife duo who were maybe the best duo in history for guitar. John Williams and Julian Bream issued a record 'Julian and John' mainly based on Ida and Alexandria's work, but they were not even close passion-wise. Ida and Alexandria were like two guitarists under the control of one mind! I would have one in left channel and the other in right and they switched off leads so gracefully and perfectly you could not tell which was which.
    Then there are the Flamenco guys, like the Romero's, or Manitas De Plata or Sabicas. Newer styles are coming on but I like the traditional players. Carlos Montoya to me was like the bluegrass player of the Flamenco set, brilliant but too flashy for me. I liked the darker playing of Manitas (hands of silver).
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 13:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't leave out the acoustic guys either! You have great ones all over the place there. Check out Preston Reid, for instance, here is his myspace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=71884658
    You can find him on youtube also. Then there is Martin Simpson, Rory Block, Al Petteway, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Stephan Gro ...[text shortened]... brilliant but too flashy for me. I liked the darker playing of Manitas (hands of silver).
    I saw Julian Bream at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, not only did he play the guitar, but the lute as well. My friends parents booked the tickets but could not go, so we had excellent seats, he was awesome, better than Segovia, for its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '09 20:58
    I saw Julian Bream at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, not only did he play the guitar, but the lute as well. My friends parents booked the tickets but could not go, so we had excellent seats, he was awesome, better than Segovia, for its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master!
    I thought he was (is) a very expressive guitarist, he is not afraid to add dynamics other guitarists shy away from like Christopher Parkening, I heard his Concerto de Arajuez (Rodrigo) and it sounded like a student but he can be sublime playing Bach, I thought his rendering of Jesu Joy of Man's desiring from the Cantata #147 the best ever. You should see the whole Cantata, not just Jesu, it is almost like baroque bluegrass! Single musician and singer plays parts, then the choir, then say, the cellist and singer and so forth, THEN Jesu by the whole choir and orchestra, simply divine.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '09 08:26
    its a personal opinion my friend, nothing more, if you think he was/is a great guitarist then he is, although technically he was excellent, there is no question...., i dunno, in retrospect maybe you are correct, its just...listen to the tone on some of his solos, he says with many notes what Clapton and even Beck can say in a few, although i think it ...[text shortened]... so many good tracks in the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4NPzK0JIM&feature=related
    I'm not a musician so my interpretation is purely based on how the music makes me feel. I know of of rhp members are musicians and probably therefore much more qualified to define greatness.

For me it has always been more about LZ as a group, rather than just Page as I don't feel he is a stand alone type of virtuoso, like the claptons and other greats mentioned in this thread. That said, it could be argued that if you are looking for the greatest rock soloist as in "guitar break", then pagey gets my vote.

Stairway live from The Song Remains The Same is cool, but if you have not heard this one in a while check out No Quarter live in MSG in 1973. Actually I prefer the a live album version (different to the video) but this is still quality.

It's typically overblown and the video is toilet but leave it on in the background and enjoy. (Guitar break at 5 mins)

YouTube
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 21:10
    LENNY BREAU!!

Someone's gotta say Segovia too for this thread to have any credibility!
  7. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 13:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not a musician so my interpretation is purely based on how the music makes me feel. I know of of rhp members are musicians and probably therefore much more qualified to define greatness.
    That is, really, the only definition of "musicianship" or "greatness". I have heard the "Oiseaux tristes" movement of Miroirs by Ravel many times, but only once have I heard the birds. That moment will stay with me for a long, long time.

Although I'm a Cream fan, I don't like Clapton. My copy of "Layla..." sits in the spare room, gathering dust. It just doesn't do anything for me. I don't know why - it is perhaps a tad too fancy for me.

I would like quite like to nominate Rory Gallagher here - he was approached to be in the Rolling Stones, but declined saying they were "against everything he stood for music-wise" (or something along those lines). A fantastic guitarist!

I quite like Hendrix too...
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 13:04
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    LENNY BREAU!!

Someone's gotta say Segovia too for this thread to have any credibility!
    I suppose Francisco Tárrega should be mentioned too, along with his famously beautiful Recuerdos de la Alhambra.

That said, I've never heard him play. So it certainly won't be me mentioning him!...
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 15:02
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    That is, really, the only definition of "musicianship" or "greatness". I have heard the "Oiseaux tristes" movement of Miroirs by Ravel many times, but only once have I heard the birds. That moment will stay with me for a long, long time.

Although I'm a Cream fan, I don't like Clapton. My copy of "Layla..." sits in the spare room, gathering dust. It just do ...[text shortened]... omething along those lines). A fantastic guitarist!

I quite like Hendrix too...
    Rory Gallagher - legend! no wonder he refused to play for them charlatans!
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 22:31
    Rory Gallagher - legend! no wonder he refused to play for them charlatans!
    I saw him in concert. Best reconsider your use of charlatan.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 23:182 edits
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I saw him in concert. Best reconsider your use of charlatan.
    No way, i hate those ol dinosaurs the rolling stones, bunch of old pervs, especially Jagger
  12. Utrecht
    Moves
    04 Apr '09 12:04
    Besides the obvious Frank Zappas, John McLaughlins and to me Jan Akkerman, watch this guy on Youtube: Alexei Arkhipovskiy
  13. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 20:49
    steve hillage
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 23:42
    Segovia
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    11 Apr '10 23:46
    Originally posted by coquette
    Segovia
    Of course.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree