1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 11:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Imagine the atmosphere on the second floor of the Tuileries as the musicians while away the time at chess waiting for the king to arrive. Philidor plays 2...d6.
    Now I was assuming we all meant correspondence chess, not OTB. OTB I prefer silence. Your imagery of Philidor is wonderful Of course such scenes must have taken places all over Europe. I also wonder about London where the Anderssen V. Kieseritztky immortal game took place. The one thing I don't tolerate well is the game being wathced by GM wannabes with opinions on the next play.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 11:441 edit
    It might be interesting to program sounds for the various chess configurations (64 is a musical number, I think) and hear what the great matches of the past sound like. Maybe it'd help the chess memory too!
    I read your post and I feel like a chimp who just moves the pieces aimlessly all over the board *.

Drinking tea and eating biscuits, though.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 11:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I read your post and I feel like a chimp who just moves the pieces aimlessly all over the board *.

Drinking tea and eating biscuits, though.
    Leave bosse alone! He might drop his crumpet on your head as he moves!

You don't like music then? How dreary! Just wrestling with little people?
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 12:07
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Leave bosse alone! He might drop his crumpet on your head as he moves!

You don't like music then? How dreary! Just wrestling with little people?
    Did you know that it's common wisdom in RHP that only losers read other people's profiles? So I've heard, but don't believe me.

By the way, as said earlier, I play while listening to Bob Marley.

I don't do grass anymore, though.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 12:171 edit

It sticks in your teeth.

Confession: I knew nothing about Philidor except his name before yesterday; Kasparov's book inspired me to read up about the great chessplayer and composer, whose brother was the first director of the Concert Spirituel, one of the first public concert series.

The Café de la Régence, where Philidor and the rest of chess-playing Europe hung out, features in Diderot's wonderful crazy book Le Neveu de Rameau.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 13:06
    Now I was assuming we all meant correspondence chess, not OTB. OTB I prefer silence. Your imagery of Philidor is wonderful Of course such scenes must have taken places all over Europe. I also wonder about London where the Anderssen V. Kieseritztky immortal game took place. The one thing I don't tolerate well is the game being wathced by GM wannabes with opinions on the next play.
    I've developed an enthusiasm for chess history; the convergence of music, literature and chess in the figure of Philodor excites me.

I was kidding about Erasure for OTB -- though I'd pay to see them play to a room of grandmasters.

The London venue also attracted a worthy crowd, it seems:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s-in-the-Strand
  7. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 21:09
    Any music that I normally listen to.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '09 22:31
    Did you know that it's common wisdom in RHP that only losers read other people's profiles? So I've heard, but don't believe me.

Guess I rad your profile. Big deal! Marley sounds like great usic for blitz, not corrspondence chess. There is no common wisdom at RHP and I say this with my pinky up!
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 01:25

thats ridiculous. i read every bodies profile that I play. thats what its there for.if they look like they are going to be very hard to beat (much higher rank for instance) i will view many of there finished games as well.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 02:13
    I've developed an enthusiasm for chess history; the convergence of music, literature and chess in the figure of Philodor excites me.

I was kidding about Erasure for OTB -- though I'd pay to see them play to a room of grandmasters.

The London venue also attracted a worthy crowd, it seems:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s-in-the-Strand
    You would enjoy Bruce Pandolfini's book on chess trivia: Treasure Chess: Trivia, Quotes, Puzzles, and Lore from the World's Oldest Game
    Indeed chess history is fascinating. Also, the Oxford Companion to Chess is an interesting read.
    How about the convergence of chess and pictoric art in Marcel Duchamp. There are interesting convergences of chess and battlefield strategy in Napoleon Bonaparte, a brilliant chess amateur.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 08:53
    You would enjoy Bruce Pandolfini's book on chess trivia: Treasure Chess: Trivia, Quotes, Puzzles, and Lore from the World's Oldest Game
    Indeed chess history is fascinating. Also, the Oxford Companion to Chess is an interesting read.
    How about the convergence of chess and pictoric art in Marcel Duchamp. There are interesting convergences of chess and battlefield strategy in Napoleon Bonaparte, a brilliant chess amateur.
    Duchamp and chess is an inexhaustible field.

You might like this:
    http://www.samuel-beckett.net/hugill.html

I'd like to know more about Bonaparte's chess.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 09:01
    Guess I rad your profile. Big deal! Marley sounds like great usic for blitz, not corrspondence chess. There is no common wisdom at RHP and I say this with my pinky up!
    LOL

Yeah, Bob relaxes me quite well, and that's what I need for correspondene. For blitz? For blitz I prefer Wagner.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 09:011 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    thats ridiculous. i read every bodies profile that I play. thats what its there for.if they look like they are going to be very hard to beat (much higher rank for instance) i will view many of there finished games as well.
    Ever heard of 'kamikaze' or 'Russian roulette' correspondence chess? 😉
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 09:45
    LOL

Yeah, Bob relaxes me quite well, and that's what I need for correspondene. For blitz? For blitz I prefer Wagner.
    Consider Erasure over Wagner -- seriously. It'll do wonders for your game.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '09 10:09
    A tad more hygienic than, say, tousling the grandmasters' hair in a brazen cocky fashion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree