1. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 12:57
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I've developed an enthusiasm for chess history; the convergence of music, literature and chess in the figure of Philodor excites me.
    former world champion Vasily Smyslov and GM Mark Taimanov:

Smyslov is a fine baritone singer, who only positively decided upon a chess career after a failed audition with the Bolshoi Theatre in 1950. He once said, "I have always lived between chess and music." On the occasion of a game against Botvinnik, he sang to an audience of thousands. He occasionally gave recitals during chess tournaments, often accompanied by fellow Grandmaster and concert pianist Mark Taimanov. Smyslov once wrote that he tried to achieve harmony on the chess board, with each piece assisting the others (Smyslov's Selected Games, by Vasily Smyslov, 1995, London, Everyman Chess, introduction).
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 12:59
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    former world champion Vasily Smyslov and GM Mark Taimanov:

Smyslov is a fine baritone singer, who only positively decided upon a chess career after a failed audition with the Bolshoi Theatre in 1950. He once said, "I have always lived between chess and music." On the occasion of a game against Botvinnik, he sang to an audience of thousands. He occasional ...[text shortened]... rs (Smyslov's Selected Games, by Vasily Smyslov, 1995, London, Everyman Chess, introduction).
    Wouldn't a chess match with live pieces be an aesthetically satisfying form of capital punishment? The sacrificial aspect would probably trump any residual moral repugnance. Especially if it took place in a purpose-built temple.
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 13:05
    Wouldn't a chess match with live pieces be an aesthetically satisfying form of capital punishment? The sacrificial aspect would probably trump any residual moral repugnance. Especially if it took place in a purpose-built temple.
    perhaps Seitse could supply troupes of criminal midgets to play the pawns.

i'm going to try your suggestion of listening to The Cramps while playing chess now. Any particular song suggestions? I'm thinking 'Caveman' and maybe 'Human Fly'.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 13:21
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    perhaps Seitse could supply troupes of criminal midgets to play the pawns.

i'm going to try your suggestion of listening to The Cramps while playing chess now. Any particular song suggestions? I'm thinking 'Caveman' and maybe 'Human Fly'.
    You could make a opening/middle/endgame playlist.

Cramp Stomp (march!)
    Googoo Muck
    Give me a Woman
    Hypno Sex Ray
    Bikini Girls With Machine Guns
    Beat out my Love
    Garbage Man
    Zombie Dance
    The Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon
    The Hot Pearl Snatch (checkmate!)
    Human Fly (victory dance)
  5. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    16 Jul '09 13:35
    You could make a opening/middle/endgame playlist.

Cramp Stomp (march!)
    Googoo Muck
    Give me a Woman
    Hypno Sex Ray
    Bikini Girls With Machine Guns
    Beat out my Love
    Garbage Man
    Zombie Dance
    The Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon
    The Hot Pearl Snatch (checkmate!)
    Human Fly (victory dance)
    for the purposes of the experiment, i just went with:

Human Fly
    The Way I Walk
    New Kind of Kick
    Caveman
    Can't Find My Mind
    Strychnine

i don't think i made any major blunders while listening, but then i started listening to Cream's Disraeli Gears and it's really working as chess music.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 02:20
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Mozart Symphony #39

Most any Vivaldi.

Scheherazade.

Alien Sex Fiend.
    Harold in Italy, Das Lied Von Der Erde, Brahms #3, mahler's#5, Antonio Caldara's Stabat Mater, Schubert Lieder.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:091 edit
    I prefer This Mortal Coil. Try the song, "It'll End in Tears".

Very appropriate imo :>

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree