Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    06 Jan '11 03:07
    I choose Canada

    YouTube&feature=related

    GRANNY.
  2. 06 Jan '11 19:23
    Originally posted by smw6869
    I choose Canada

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kWTOGZ53I&feature=related
    Whiny. IMO the best one is the old Soviet anthem - now, with different words, the Russian one.

    Richard
  3. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    07 Jan '11 03:21
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Whiny. IMO the best one is the old Soviet anthem - now, with different words, the Russian one.

    Richard
    The "ROCK" version isn't bad.

    YouTube&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_r2-2r-3-HM


    GRANNY.
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    07 Jan '11 03:35
    I quite like the Bulgarian one:
    YouTube

    Proud Balkan Mountains,
    next to them the Danube sparkles,
    the sun shines over Thrace,
    and blazes over Pirin.

    Refrain: (twice)
    Dear Motherland,
    you are heaven on earth,
    your beauty, your loveliness,
    ah, they are boundless.
  5. 07 Jan '11 12:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    IMO the best one is the old Soviet anthem
    That was pretty good. I'd add France and South Africa as well.

    Oh, and the European Union - but that's cheating, really. 🙂
  6. 07 Jan '11 15:21
    Call me biased if you like, i like Flower of Scotland,

    O flower of Scotland
    When will we see your like again
    That fought and died for
    Your wee bit hill and glen
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

    The hills are bare now
    And autumn leaves lie thick and still
    O'er land that is lost now
    Which those so dearly held
    And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

    Those days are passed now
    And in the past they must remain
    But we can still rise now
    And be the nation again
    That stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again

    commemorating the victory of Robert Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn, 1314, over Edward the II who came to enslave us.
  7. 07 Jan '11 17:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Call me biased if you like, i like Flower of Scotland,

    O flower of Scotland
    When will we see your like again
    Every time you walk through a thistle patch, wearing nowt below but your (English-invented!) kilt.

    FlhOWHOWr of SchOHOHtlnd... blech. With bagpipes... blech exponential. There are some much better Scots songs. I couldn't name one on the spot, but I've heard some.

    Richard
  8. 07 Jan '11 18:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Every time you walk through a thistle patch, wearing nowt below but your (English-invented!) kilt.

    FlhOWHOWr of SchOHOHtlnd... blech. With bagpipes... blech exponential. There are some much better Scots songs. I couldn't name one on the spot, but I've heard some.

    Richard
    what this Sassenach talk, perhaps you would like to visit the field of Bannochburn, it has the largest concentration of Englishmen anywhere is Scotland, and they are all six feet under the ground! For your information, a plaid is the proper attire for lancing Dutchmen through the gentiles with ones claymore! (deliberate pun intended)
  9. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    10 Jan '11 14:31
    Shouldn't it be the Worst National Anthem?
    Seriously, they all suck, but in my opinion the Australian one sucks the worst. Words and music.
  10. 10 Jan '11 14:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Shouldn't it be the Worst National Anthem?
    Seriously, they all suck, but in my opinion the Australian one sucks the worst. Words and music.
    you should have , its a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll, as your national anthem.
  11. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    10 Jan '11 19:20
    Now This is a good one:

    YouTube

    GRANNY.
  12. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    10 Jan '11 21:16
    The Catalan anthem, Bon cop de falc, is the best.
  13. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 Jan '11 01:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The Catalan anthem, Bon cop de falc, is the best.
    Yawn, another "call to arms" anthem.
  14. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    11 Jan '11 04:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Yawn, another "call to arms" anthem.
    It's about the music.

    Of course anthems praising the mountains of the Motherland are so much more interesting than calls to arms.
  15. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    11 Jan '11 05:06
    This one gives GRANNY happy little dancing feet.

    YouTube&feature=related

    GRANNY.