1. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 17:52
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes, very nice.

Mirrorball, I only remember "Piece of crap".

I'm on Reactor now. Been taking time out to listen to The Durutti Column (Vini Reilly). A bit like the good guitar bits from The Smiths extended over whole albums and minus the singing, bar some guest female vocalists here and there.
    'Piece of Crap' is from 'Sleeps With Angels', which is Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    'Piece of Crap' is from 'Sleeps With Angels', which is Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
    In which case I remember nothing of it whatsoever! But I'll be refreshing my memory shortly.

'Sleeps with Angels' had a song about a Western hero with some great lyrics.

I just listened to CSN&Y 'American Dream' -- ouch, not the best album ever. About three good songs on it ('American Dream' itself is pretty snappy).

I see that Young did the soundtrack for 'Dead Man' -- heard that?
  3. lookin for a way out
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 19:54
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Rust Never Sleeps.
    I still have a copy of 'Live Rust' on vinyl.
    'Like A Hurricane' was a favourite of mine and b/f at the time, and 'Heart of Gold' too. There was a great rock nightclub in town then, lots of bands that made it big later. Ahhh...my clubbing, dancing days... 😀

Oh yes, and I could drink alcohol in those days too đŸ˜”
  4. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 21:51
    In which case I remember nothing of it whatsoever! But I'll be refreshing my memory shortly.

'Sleeps with Angels' had a song about a Western hero with some great lyrics.

I just listened to CSN&Y 'American Dream' -- ouch, not the best album ever. About three good songs on it ('American Dream' itself is pretty snappy).

I see that Young did the soundtrack for 'Dead Man' -- heard that?
    Mirror Ball is quite good.

Nope, haven't heard the sound track. Never even heard of it.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 21:55
    I'm in the process of listening to them all. The very first one, from 1969, is a lot noisier than I would have thought from Buffalo Springfield & Harvest (my only reference from around then). It almost grinds like Grinderman. But anyway -- what's your favourite ... Neil Young ... album?
    "Best Neil Young album"----that's an oxymoron, right? Ewwww is that voice grating, OR WHAT?!
  6. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 00:03
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    "Best Neil Young album"----that's an oxymoron, right? Ewwww is that voice grating, OR WHAT?!
    It's all about taste.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 16:45
    It's all about taste.
    Bad-taste album name: Are You Passionate?
  8. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 16:56
    Bad-taste album name: Are You Passionate?
    Yeah, I don't plan on getting that one. I don't like when he does love songs. He's better doing other stuff.
  9. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 17:35
    Yeah, I don't plan on getting that one. I don't like when he does love songs. He's better doing other stuff.
    It has some nice songs and he sings them well in his own way.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 08:11
    Originally posted by badmoon
    It has some nice songs and he sings them well in his own way.
    I'm enjoying 'Silver & Gold' a lot. The Buffalo Springfield revisitation is -- nostalgic's not the right word. But where his voice sounded prematurely aged in the 60s, now it seems to have grown back into itself.

'This Note's For You' on the other hand will take a long time to grow on me if at all.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 18:32
    I also enjoy Silver and Gold. The folksy, country Neil works well for me.
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:35
    I didn't like Silver & Gold. I found it very boring. Maybe I'm too young to understand the songs. I'll get it again some day, probably.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 07:24
    I didn't like Silver & Gold. I found it very boring. Maybe I'm too young to understand the songs. I'll get it again some day, probably.
    Not quite Cortez the Killer (which I have now listened to a lot: it's great). What I like about it is that Young sings like a gentle zombie, crooning ghost songs in mourning for the lost soul of America. It's disturbing to listen to an authentic voice in times of pure simulacrum.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 20:201 edit
    I'm looking forward to this one very much. There's been talk of vocoders ...
    Speaking of Vocoders, it took me a while to find a link to what vocoders are, here is a wiki:
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Vocoders

I don't like everything on any album, but Young gets my vote for Cinnamon girl, Heart of Gold, Down by the river, helpless just to name a few that come to mind. Does anyone know just how many songs Young has written, at least up to now?
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    03 Jul '08 15:26
    Crazy Horse...check out "Cortez the Killer"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree