1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 13:52
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    rig? Doesn't matter anyway. We had a window of about 6 months there to record some stuff. I dont have hardly any of that gear left. I'm perhaps looking to find another mike and a recording program. Is there any you would recommend?
    Here is one, a link to Cnet, a good download site, this one is free for 14 days, about 80 bucks US to buy:

http://download.cnet.com/MixPad-Audio-Mixer/3000-2170_4-10580119.html

I use Cakewalk Sonar, been using it for years, have the latest X1 version producer edition, it is about 600 bucks new but I get upgrades about every other year for under 200 bucks.

I think there is another freebie called audigy, I'll have to check it out.

So it depends on how much you want to spend, for instance the sound I/O I mentioned, the Firewire 410 has 2 mic preamps and can support 4 ins and outs,
    I think it cost me around 300 bucks, don't quote me on that🙂 So like I said, a laptop with either firewire or USB2 port, there are I/O's that use either.

If you use the Firewire 410 and only record 2 channels at a time, you don't even need a mixer. You can use the recording software to build up as many channels as you want that way, drums, piano, bass, vocals, guitar, etc. one after another while you are listening with earphones so you don't need much more than earphones, the 410, a laptop, mikes, cords, stands and that's about it. Very compact.

Avid makes something called Pro Tools, I used the LE version, about 250ish bucks.
    I like the way you can cut and paste to cover mistakes and such, a bit easier than Sonar.

But the freebies online are getting pretty good too, a friend, Joddee James, records with freebie software and does pretty good with her homemade CD's.

Good luck! Don.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 14:56
    Here is a link, not audigy, that is a sound card, but Audacity, good sound recording software, but you would need mic preamps and such, but it's free:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Sep '11 21:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is one, a link to Cnet, a good download site, this one is free for 14 days, about 80 bucks US to buy:

http://download.cnet.com/MixPad-Audio-Mixer/3000-2170_4-10580119.html

I use Cakewalk Sonar, been using it for years, have the latest X1 version producer edition, it is about 600 bucks new but I get upgrades about every other year for under 200 bu ...[text shortened]... rds with freebie software and does pretty good with her homemade CD's.

Good luck! Don.
    Thank you 🙂
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 19:17
    Thank you 🙂
    So, are you going to give those a spin? Audacity works well and is free!
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 20:50
    So, are you going to give those a spin? Audacity works well and is free!
    Prolly will at some stage. I'v had a lot going on around me and the music's taken a back seat for awhile ...
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '11 12:03
    Prolly will at some stage. I'v had a lot going on around me and the music's taken a back seat for awhile ...
    Oh no, sounds serious if music has to take a back seat! So what about this Joanna person? What is the skinny on her? Crazy? Bipolar? What's the deal with her anyway? Were you involved with her? If it is one of those 'I don't want to talk about it' deals, I fully understand.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 21:481 edit
    Oh no, sounds serious if music has to take a back seat! So what about this Joanna person? What is the skinny on her? Crazy? Bipolar? What's the deal with her anyway? Were you involved with her? If it is one of those 'I don't want to talk about it' deals, I fully understand.
    Well I was very much in love with her and she with me. 7yrs, one child. And then she just wigged out on me and basically left me for this real duoche bag.(even bigger than me).

I'm still her biggest fan musically. Yes bipolar,crazy. Not just me sayin that.

Yes I really want to get some more muso's in my life so I can do some more stuff. Often you spur eachother on.

Dont know why she broke up with me...actually she didn't. They just went behind my back, real classy stuff.
    Fortunatley (or unfortunately) I dont go back to r'ships that have been "tarred", so I will never get back with her.

Shame. A lot of potential there ...

edit: Actually she did most of the stuff that the guy in her song does. Ironic .
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '11 22:52
    Well I was very much in love with her and she with me. 7yrs, one child. And then she just wigged out on me and basically left me for this real duoche bag.(even bigger than me).

I'm still her biggest fan musically. Yes bipolar,crazy. Not just me sayin that.

Yes I really want to get some more muso's in my life so I can do some more stuff. Often you ...[text shortened]... re ...

edit: Actually she did most of the stuff that the guy in her song does. Ironic .
    Man, quite a story. You must have felt weird recording that song for her. Does she have other songs recorded? Do you remember what kind of guitar she used? Sounded pretty good, what kind of mike and recording setup you used?

Pretty much same thing happened with my first wife, she went off with what I had thought was my best friend, Donovan, not the British one, this guy lived in Florida and I worked with him on a British submarine base on Andros Island called AUTEC. Turns out she hated travelling and I was determined to see the world so my first overseas job was on Andros Island in the Bahama's. I had no idea they were seeing each other behind my back until she ran off to Florida with him. Funny thing happened though.
    A couple of years later, I was living in Alexandria Virginia, I get a knock on the door, guess who shows up. You wouldn't guess in a million years. No it wasn't wife # 1. It was Donovan's ex! She figured if he could step out, so could she. But she drove all the way from Florida to Virginia with their 12 yo son! I had a very nice 4 days I can tell you. I also wondered why he would leave Millie for my ex, she was a beauty! My ex looked more like a female Ringo Star🙂
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 01:21
    Man, quite a story. You must have felt weird recording that song for her. Does she have other songs recorded? Do you remember what kind of guitar she used? Sounded pretty good, what kind of mike and recording setup you used?

Pretty much same thing happened with my first wife, she went off with what I had thought was my best friend, Donovan, not the Briti ...[text shortened]... would leave Millie for my ex, she was a beauty! My ex looked more like a female Ringo Star🙂
    Yeah, my story(s) are just so out there. You couldn't make it up.

It seems logic and reason just fly out the window when someone "falls in love".
    I had been working very hard on this r'ship only to start reaping the results of that hard work this year. I could so much more understand her leaving me when we were going through the rougher stages of our r'ship.
    I have never left anyone-freind or girlfriend. (I have never cheated, lied, etc.)
    They always seem to find something to get bored about and then turn a mound into a mountain.
    Thats what I get for following the "truth".

She recorded that on my Valencia acoustic. Very nice guitar that I modified the action on. Behringer mike and Live 6 recording program. The program has since shat itself. The mikes gone (?).
    She's got other songs. Heaps. At least 40 , or 50 origonals.All very good. She's got a gift.

So she left the relative safety of our r'ship to take a walk on the wild side, it seems. (Her new guy has no job and spends money like it's going out of style. He hangs around her at her work too.)
    And he was just about to become my best friend.
    Actually it was the same with my first girlie (and other child), where she got together with my (then) best friend. Difference is I didn't want to stay with her, we had problems anyway, and she split up with me properly before racing off with someone else.

Anyway, long story short, I am really going to miss recording and playing music with Jo. It took a really long time for her confidence to develop and I basically just put my songs on youtube to show her that if I could put my crap tunes out there, then she could put her cool, much more catchy songs out there.

The music endures as long as I work at it and try to write.
    Unfortunately I had a really bad year in 2010 with losing genuine friends.I lost 3 friends that year.All of whom died suddenly and tragically.
    One of which was a real motivated musician who I jammed with and was planning to do some origonals with.
    So now that Jo to is out of the picture I am going to have to find some other compatible muso's to make some new stuff.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 12:432 edits
    Yeah, my story(s) are just so out there. You couldn't make it up.

It seems logic and reason just fly out the window when someone "falls in love".
    I had been working very hard on this r'ship only to start reaping the results of that hard work this year. I could so much more understand her leaving me when we were going through the rougher stages of o ure I am going to have to find some other compatible muso's to make some new stuff.
    So sad. 2010 sucked big time, 2011 wasn't much better for me till last week, finally landed a job, 22 bucks an hour, so-so pay but I get to keep my stuff🙂

Where can I hear Jo's work? Does she play in a band, have gigs? On Youtube besides her one song you put there?

So when you get back to recording, I know how tough it is when you lose a musician friend, my wife was the manager of my band in Venice Beach, Southwind, and she and our lead singer, Silvia Herold, got into a tiff and Silvia quit the band in a huff. She was a natural genius in many ways, great singer and guitarist and I was devastated when she left. We found other people but never the level of sheer talent as Silvia. Google her, you can hear some of her stuff on her website.
    If you want to hear some of my compositions, go to
    myspace.com/donjenningsguitar

There are 4 cuts from my own self produced CD there. Am working on another CD, have about half of it done, new tunes I have yet to record so am getting up the nerve to activate the recording setup again....
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 21:50
    That must be hard with a kid. Under normal circumstances you'd say feck her and forget about her, just not possible if you want to see your kid though. Hope it's working out as good as it can.

Since we're sharing life stories, my first proper girlfriend did the same, we had only been going out for a few months and were too young to get into anything serious anyway. She told someone who she thought was her friend she had cheated on me, the 'friend' who i had known long before my ex told me about it. At the time you're a bit gutted, now i really couldn't care about what she did. I haven't spoken to her in 10 years, i did get her to tell me what she did and made sure she felt pretty bad about it as well.

Last year I had an hour to kill before my train so went to a place just outside the station to have a smoothie and sit and watch the people coming in and out of the station. I saw her and who i'm assuming is her partner, she looked awful, really bad. Obviously has had a couple of kids (one was with her) and she looked pregnant. She used to be cute, a year ago she was a complete mess. She didn't see me i think tbh i kind of wanted her to know that i saw her. I'd love to believe in karma.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 13:53
    So sad. 2010 sucked big time, 2011 wasn't much better for me till last week, finally landed a job, 22 bucks an hour, so-so pay but I get to keep my stuff🙂

Where can I hear Jo's work? Does she play in a band, have gigs? On Youtube besides her one song you put there?

So when you get back to recording, I know how tough it is when you lose a musician fr ...[text shortened]... unes I have yet to record so am getting up the nerve to activate the recording setup again....
    Sure , I'd love to check out some new mucic. Just give me 48hrs.

Like I said, she was always real shy. I was the first she started playing music to. The recording and busking took a bit more confidence and a "push along" to get happening. Unfortunatle my pc crashed and all my files were lost. I did burn a few cd's. Did you want me to ask permission to send to a copy- I doubt she'd mind. She be stoked to have some interest in her music.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 14:03
    Originally posted by Trev33
    That must be hard with a kid. Under normal circumstances you'd say feck her and forget about her, just not possible if you want to see your kid though. Hope it's working out as good as it can.

Since we're sharing life stories, my first proper girlfriend did the same, we had only been going out for a few months and were too young to get into anything seriou ...[text shortened]... think tbh i kind of wanted her to know that i saw her. I'd love to believe in karma.
    I've had sole custody for 4 years of our boy. It was all good when Jo used to visit on w'ends (she works full time now) until she got together with the "risk factor"
    Anyway, I'm fine with kids - it's the adults I have a problem with. (You know how some people are just cut out to raise kids and others just aren't? Well I'm definately the former)

(It's working out as well as I can expect for my kids. My daughter has been dux 3 years running and has a very well rounded ,busy life, while retaining respect for her parents- a rare thing with kids here age. The boy is an absolute angel who is prolly smarter and wittier than the averags 5 yr old boy)

It's up to her to be nice and stay on my good side to see here kid. I dont think the courts will give her visiting rights unless she's supervised, and I dont want this, but if I send my boy to a dangerous environmant, than it looks bad on me.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 14:04
    Originally posted by Trev33

Since we're sharing life stories, my first proper girlfriend did the same, we had only been going out for a few months and were too young to get into anything seriou ...[text shortened]... think tbh i kind of wanted her to know that i saw her. I'd love to believe in karma.
  15. Joined
    22 Oct '09
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 15:48
    I think this song:

YouTube&noredirect=1

deserves many more hits!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree