1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 May '14 18:211 edit
    I have always liked "Monte Walsh". (Both the earlier "Lee Marvin" version and the newer "Tom Selleck" version.)

It's not a spaghetti western and there's not a whole lot of wild "shoot them up" action, but it's a good story that probably gives an honest depiction of how the cowboy way of life was and how it changed and died away.

If you have any interest in a somewhat realistic view of cowboy life, you should give it a try.
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 May '14 19:04
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I have always liked "Monte Walsh".

If you have any interest in a somewhat realistic view of cowboy life, you should give it a try.
    It must have been something to be able to make a living in the open prairie.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 May '14 19:19
    Originally posted by C Hess
    It must have been something to be able to make a living in the open prairie.
    It was probably more like just managing to get by.

Most of the cowboys (as portrayed in this movie) were single and worked as a ranch hand for the person who owned the place. They worked for a minimal wage plus board and room.

If things got rough many were laid off and had to move on to find another place to work, if possible. If you were the ranch foreman or a top hand, you may have been a little better off, but not by much. I think it was a harsh way of life for most of them.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 May '14 19:39
    It was probably more like just managing to get by.

Most of the cowboys (as portrayed in this movie) were single and worked as a ranch hand for the person who owned the place. They worked for a minimal wage plus board and room.

If things got rough many were laid off and had to move on to find another place to work, if possible. If you were the ran ...[text shortened]... been a little better off, but not by much. I think it was a harsh way of life for most of them.
    Well, if you're not high stock on the job market, I can think of worse jobs than
    riding on the open prairie. That was the cowboy's job before the train
    tracks were laid down, to herd cows from here to there, right?
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 May '14 20:23
    Well, if you're not high stock on the job market, I can think of worse jobs than
    riding on the open prairie. That was the cowboy's job before the train
    tracks were laid down, to herd cows from here to there, right?
    Yes, exactly. This movie shows that to some extent, but it also takes place at a time when that way of life was coming to an end and more modern methods were being introduced. The old life and times of the cowboy were dying out, and to me this movie shows all of that in a humorous and yet sad but realistic way.

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of cowboys that work ranches and cattle, but it isn't the same as it was in the late 1800's time frame. This movie is about the death of one era to make room for a new one.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:51
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Unforgiven is a fantastic film. Have to watch that one again soon.
    Just did the other day. The scene where he says don't shoot or I'll kill you, your mother, your sisters, etc., was priceless.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 17:29
    With the exception of Django Unchained and Eastwood's Unforgiven, all other
    really good westerns in my opinion are indeed italian spaghetti from the 60's
    and 70's, I agree. Leone made most of the great ones, but I also liked
    Corbucci's Django.
    just watched Two Mules for Sister Sara, was pretty good i thought all things considered and Too much gold for one Gringo which was ok. The Forgotten Pistilero is quite good too, characters and plot are good although youtube chopped the ending. My favourite although not really a western in the traditional sense is Jeremiah Johnson, cannot count the number of times i have watched it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 17:30
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    The universe is out of balance.
    yes its tending towards chaos but it shall be brought back to harmony soon 😀
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 15:58
    desperado say no more
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 May '14 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just did the other day. The scene where he says don't shoot or I'll kill you, your mother, your sisters, etc., was priceless.
    Right, one of the best lines. Closely followed by, you better bury Ned right,
    and don't you cut up no whores, or I'll come back and kill every last one of
    you sons of bitches. 😀
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '14 21:043 edits
    Right, one of the best lines. Closely followed by, you better bury Ned right,
    and don't you cut up no whores, or I'll come back and kill every last one of
    you sons of bitches. 😀
    Just watched the movie, was awesome, although i wished he had taken the lady that was cut up back with him to be his wife. I would have.

'Deserve has nothing to do with it!' - classic stuff!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '14 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Just watched the movie, was awesome, although i wished he had taken the lady that was cut up back with him to be his wife. I would have.

'Deserve has nothing to do with it!' - classic stuff!
    Didn't he marry Ned's wife, the Indian?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '14 00:26
    I have always liked "Monte Walsh". (Both the earlier "Lee Marvin" version and the newer "Tom Selleck" version.)

It's not a spaghetti western and there's not a whole lot of wild "shoot them up" action, but it's a good story that probably gives an honest depiction of how the cowboy way of life was and how it changed and died away.

Yeah, I saw that the other day on the movie channel. Had no idea what it was about but stayed from start to finish. Didn't know there was a newer version, I saw the Lee Marvin one.
  14. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    20 May '14 01:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, I saw that the other day on the movie channel. Had no idea what it was about but stayed from start to finish. Didn't know there was a newer version, I saw the Lee Marvin one.
    I thought the Lee Marvin version was the better of the two, but Tom Selleck also did a good job.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 May '14 10:291 edit
    Django Unchained. Who's with me? Ay? Ay?
    This movie was great. However, there was one huge, glaring plothole: why didn't the German simply offer to buy the slave from the Leonardo DiCaprio character outright? Why the pretense? Why go through a whole ruse? Doesn't it make sense that a German would want a slave that speaks German? Instead, they needlessly come up with some sorry about a fighting slave market, which ends up complicating matters for no reason.

That aside, Django technically isn't a western, because it takes place in the south. The German even tells Jamie Foxx's character "You'll be known as the fastest gun in the South. "

One of my favorite westerns is "The Quick and the Dead".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree