1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 21:03
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Into The West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAAPvEfYZFY

GRANNY.
    Ok this is awesomeness and probably the most authentic portrayal I have ever seen. The quality of the video and audio is also excellent, on part two now, many thanks 😀
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 09:272 edits
    Best western ever?

Heaven's Gate (by a country mile). Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, Jeff Bridges, John Hurt.......simply stunning.

I'd put Unforgiven next, great as it is it's nowhere close.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 12:451 edit
    El Diablo, one of the greats but few people have seen it:

YouTube
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Well, I'm certainly not a fan but I have very much enjoyed a lot of his movies (The faculty, From dusk till dawn, Desperado and certainly Sin City).

Mind you, I have no problems with violence in movies and I think Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs are brilliant - I could watch PF any day of the week and it would always blow me away - and Kill Bill was ...[text shortened]... or that, because he certainly has a lot of talent. The guy just needs to leave his comfort zone.
    Like a good author, he writes about what he knows, or what he likes. His early experience with movies was this genre, the westerns, the gangster movies, even Bruce Lee films. I think this is the definition of success, to be doing something for a living that you truly enjoy.

Tarentino doing something decidedly non-Tarentino would be leaving his comfort zone, sure, but would it be any good? It's like asking Hitchcock to be not-Hitchcock. Psycho wouldn't have worked nearly as well as a romantic comedy, but you can't fault Hitchcock for that.

Have you seen Jackie Brown? I recently picked up the blu-ray of this from Target's discount bin. I'd never seen it before, but I enjoyed it for what it was, a prime example of Tarentino.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 00:28
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The only ones I can think of from the top of my head now are Eastwood films
    like pale rider, but you've no doubt seen those, so, no, no more suggestions
    from me I'm afraid.

Oh, wait, there's Tombstone with Val Kilmer as Doc. That one was somewhat
    entertaining.
    I recently saw Pale Rider on AMC's "Afternoon Movie" or some such. I'd never seen it before (don't know how I'd missed it), but it was classic Eastwood at his best.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Two Mules for Sister Sara, that someone else here recommended.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jun '14 00:301 edit
    Regarding the topic, 3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe was outstanding.

The original, shot in glorious black-and-white, with Glenn Ford, is a treat.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    25 Jun '14 11:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Like a good author, he writes about what he knows, or what he likes. His early experience with movies was this genre, the westerns, the gangster movies, even Bruce Lee films. I think this is the definition of success, to be doing something for a living that you truly enjoy.

Tarentino doing something decidedly non-Tarentino would be leaving his comfort ...[text shortened]... bin. I'd never seen it before, but I enjoyed it for what it was, a prime example of Tarentino.
    It's true that Tarantino doing something non-Tarantino might not be good. That's a risk a movie maker takes. Hitchcock certainly wasn't a one-trick pony where he just repeated Psycho over and over again.

Movies like Rope, Psycho, The trouble with Harry and Shadow of a doubt are all very different and certainly don't follow the "Hitchcock route" in the way that Tarantino movies follow the "Tarantino route". Have you seen Rope and Shadow of a doubt? Brilliant movies, highly recommendable. The trouble with Harry........... not so much.

Yes, I have seen Jackie Brown. I wanted to like that movie, because it is at least somewhat different from Pulp Fiction. But I didn't like it. It was way too long. It might have been better if it didn't last for about 2.5 hours.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 05:053 edits
    We are forgetting a really great western, particularly because of the music besides the acting, Ry Cooder put it together for "the Long Riders". Fantastic film! 1980.

Stacy Keach, James Keach, David, Keith, Robert Carradine, Dennis and Randy Quaid, Christopher Guest, Pamela Reed and a buddy of mine from McCabes Guitar shop (where my band played a half dozen times) Tom Sauber, a great fiddler. Ry cooder did a fantastic job on the music! Ry's guitar teacher played in it also, David Lindley.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree