1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    29 May '08 00:48
    It is time to pay homage to perhaps the finest female vocalist of the last 20 years.

Her newest recording - Volta - can best be described with one word.....beautiful.
  2. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    29 May '08 01:27
    Originally posted by badmoon
    It is time to pay homage to perhaps the finest female vocalist of the last 20 years.

Her newest recording - Volta - can best be described with one word.....beautiful.
    I didn't know she had one out. True: beautiful voice.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 May '08 01:491 edit

The first time I heard her I was in a record store. They were playing "Like Someone In Love". I remember thinking that it was interesting - no Chet Baker but interesting.
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    29 May '08 04:51
    I'm a fan, but that's a bold statement.
  5. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    29 May '08 07:26

She sounds like a cat dropped in a pool of ice
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 May '08 09:221 edit
    Overrated.

I can see why Radiohead fans like her, though.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 May '08 09:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Overrated.

Rec'd.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    29 May '08 12:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Overrated.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Who today has a greater range?

She comes off as odd and that sometimes puts people off.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 May '08 12:501 edit
    Only one of the many: Diamanda Galas.

Diamanda Galás (born August 29, 1955) is an American-born avant-garde performance artist, vocalist, keyboardist, and composer of Greek heritage.

Known for her expert piano as well as her distinctive, operatic voice, which has a three and a half octave range, Galás has been described as "capable of the most unnerving vocal terror" [1]. Galás often shrieks, howls, and seems to imitate glossolalia in her performances. Her works largely concentrate on the topics of suffering, despair, condemnation, injustice and loss of dignity. Critic Robert Conroy has said that she is 'unquestionably one of the greatest singers America has ever produced', and comparisons are frequently made between her and another singer of Greek origin, Maria Callas.

From wiki.

Bjork is like the mainstream option for those who don't want to feel so... well... mainstream 😉
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 May '08 13:00

Volta was a terrible letdown for me, personally.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 May '08 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Only one of the many: Diamanda Galas.

[i]Diamanda Galás (born August 29, 1955) is an American-born avant-garde performance artist, vocalist, keyboardist, and composer of Greek heritage.

Known for her expert piano as well as her distinctive, operatic voice, which has a three and a half octave range, Galás has been described as "capable of the most unnerv is like the mainstream option for those who don't want to feel so... well... mainstream 😉
    [/i]Any recommendations? I've only hear Galas on Zorn's "The Big Gundown"

Sainkho Namtchylak is another with a remarkable voice.

From Wiki:
    Sainkho Namtchylak is an experimental singer, born in 1957 in a secluded village in the south of Tuva. She has an exceptional voice, spanning seven octaves and proficient in overtone singing
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 May '08 13:47
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [/i]Any recommendations? I've only hear Galas on Zorn's "The Big Gundown"

Sainkho Namtchylak is another with a remarkable voice.

From Wiki:
    Sainkho Namtchylak is an experimental singer, born in 1957 in a secluded village in the south of Tuva. She has an exceptional voice, spanning seven octaves and proficient in overtone singing
    Never heard of her, thanks for the heads up! 🙂
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 May '08 14:06
    Never heard of her, thanks for the heads up! 🙂
    No recommendations for Galas albums?

A vocalist without the range but with exceptional vocal control is Joan La Barbara.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 May '08 14:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No recommendations for Galas albums?

A vocalist without the range but with exceptional vocal control is Joan La Barbara.
    Not really, mate, I am one of the guys on the mainstream side with really few knowledge about technicalities, details and that stuff.

I just enjoy listening to werid stuff every once in a while, particularly if there is a gorgeous voice involved.

🙂
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 May '08 15:32
    Not really, mate, I am one of the guys on the mainstream side with really few knowledge about technicalities, details and that stuff.

I just enjoy listening to werid stuff every once in a while, particularly if there is a gorgeous voice involved.

🙂
    I wouldn't call Galas' voice 'gorgeous'...but it certainly is intriguing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree