1. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 16:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you have an opinion or answer to my question apart from answering the question with a question or saying, bizarrely, "what if no black person wanted to be part of it in the first place?"
    I don't know the answer to the question, because I don't know what happened behind the scenes.

are you stupid? it is a possibility that black actors didn't want to be part of the show (for a number of reasons), there is nothing bizarre about it.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 16:42
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    it is a possibility that black actors didn't want to be part of the show (for a number of reasons), there is nothing bizarre about it.
    Are you being serious?
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 16:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you being serious?
    yes.

suppose a black actor chose to go to another tv show?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:00
    yes.

suppose a black actor chose to go to another tv show?
    You are suggesting that top US sitcoms Cheers, Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld might have managed to collectively churn out 40 or more full length series without having any significant black characters because "...a black actor chose to go to another tv show"?
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are suggesting that top US sitcoms Cheers, Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld might have managed to collectively churn out 40 or more full length series without having any significant black characters because "...a black actor chose to go to another tv show"?
    no, Im saying its one of the many possible reasons why there are no blacks on those shows.

do you have an opinion?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:10
    no, Im saying its one of the many possible reasons why there are no blacks on those shows.

do you have an opinion?
    I started the thread to elicit others' opinions. That's why I asked the question in the OP. I do have an opinion about your answer - that there may have been no black actors in 4 of U.S. TV history's biggest ever sitcoms because "a black actor chose to go to another tv show". It's a very strange idea. It almost seems contorted. Is there something - something rather more sensible - that you are doggedly trying not to say?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I started the thread to elicit others' opinions. That's why I asked the question in the OP. I do have an opinion about your answer - that there may have been no black actors in 4 of U.S. TV history's biggest ever sitcoms because "a black actor chose to go to another tv show". It's a very strange idea. It almost seems contorted. Is there something - something rather more sensible - that you are doggedly trying not to say?
    I started the thread to elicit others' opinions. That's why I asked the question in the OP.

in other words, you don't have an opinion, and this is just another pointless thread.

It's a very strange idea.

strange to your standards?
    I don't know why it is so hard for your little brain to understand this.

Is there something - something rather more sensible - that you are doggedly trying not to say?

what the hell are you talking about?

do you have something sensible to say? do you have a point?

why ask other people's opinions if you don't make an effort to understand them?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:22
    do you have something sensible to say? do you have a point?
    Yes. I don't think the fact there were no black actors (in significant roles) in the 4 massive U.S. TV sitcoms cited in the OP was caused by "a black actor [choosing] to go to another tv show".
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. I don't think the fact there were no black actors (in significant roles) in the 4 massive U.S. TV sitcoms cited in the OP was caused by "a black actor [choosing] to go to another tv show".
    it is a possibility.

why do you think that happened then?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:32
    it is a possibility.
    It most certainly is not. It is one of the daftest things you have ever suggested. ...no black actors in 4 of U.S. TV history's biggest ever sitcoms because "a black actor chose to go to another tv show"? Ouch!

I shall wait for more astute posters to arrive, if ever they do, because I think it's an interetsing issue, worthy of analysis that's a little less THC influenced.

Australia have gone off for bad light. Got to get up early tomorrow.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 17:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    It most certainly is not. It is one of the daftest things you have ever suggested. ...no black actors in 4 of U.S. TV history's biggest ever sitcoms because "a black actor chose to go to another tv show"? Ouch!

I shall wait for more astute posters to arrive, if ever they do, because I think it's an interetsing issue, worthy of analysis that's a little less THC influenced.

Australia have gone off for bad light. Got to get up early tomorrow.
    grow up, your "ouch" and the assumption that my marijuana use interfers with my thinking is ridiculous, they're just the words of a pathetic loser with gender-confusion and irrational behavior.

You don't know what you're talking about, and the idea that this is an important issue compared to (lets say) terrorism is just stupid.
  12. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 21:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    How is it that Cheers, Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld - four of the hugest TV sitcoms that American TV has ever produced - managed to churn out 40 or 50 full length series between them, at 24-26 episodes each, without - for all intents and purposes - having any significant black characters in any of them? Is it 'just one of those things' or was it a deliberate calculation?
    I don't think any of them had a significant character wearing a cowboy hat either.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 22:05
    at least south park has the class to have a token black person.
  14. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    17 Jul '09 23:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    How is it that Cheers, Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld - four of the hugest TV sitcoms that American TV has ever produced - managed to churn out 40 or 50 full length series between them, at 24-26 episodes each, without - for all intents and purposes - having any significant black characters in any of them? Is it 'just one of those things' or was it a deliberate calculation?
    TV programing obviously has an agenda or "target audience". Is it blatantly racisist? Maybe. Or could be some people like to watch what is more familiar. One of the biggest comedies you left out was the Cosby Show. Not many white people in that show either, yet it depicted a very sucsesfull african american family. And to give a bit of a rebuttle, Sienfeld did have a whole episode dedicated to making fun of the show and lack of black representation when George was called a racist and had to go back and make a friend with a black side character. And I am ashamed to admit it but I watched enough Friends to remember a Black cook friend of Monica and a love triangle between Ross, Joey and a Black Female. Yeah not major characters but at least 5-10 episodes. (ah yeah I said too much, goodby respect). Not that I think TV is good, but one more thing. Those shows are 10-30 years old, what about 30 rock or office space. I think TV is around 20 years behind the times of genreal social norms. I mean leave it to Beaver was the 1st show to show a bathroom, and that was groundbreaking then. You think anybody cared back then about a toilet?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '09 02:13
    Originally posted by StTito
    TV programing obviously has an agenda or "target audience". Is it blatantly racisist? Maybe. Or could be some people like to watch what is more familiar.
    So you reckon it was a deliberate calculation then? Not to have any black characters. Having them might have made the shows less successful?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree